16%
The Supremes, "Come See About Me"
16%

Total votes: 19

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 5 Vote - Round 2

Post by Heston »

Another thing to remember is this is, after all, a Clash board. Uptown Top Ranking is the only song from that era here. I certainly have a nostalgic connection to it having heard it everywhere as a kid. Will be the same with a few others I should imagine.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 6:35pm
Another thing to remember is this is, after all, a Clash board. Uptown Top Ranking is the only song from that era here. I certainly have a nostalgic connection to it having heard it everywhere as a kid. Will be the same with a few others I should imagine.
Yes definitely.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 6:03pm
matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 5:50pm
Just listened to it like three times in a row and I just don't get it. Like I said, it's fine, the music is great and there is some charm to the vocals, but the melody isn't particularly strong and they aren't very good singers. I guess that's part of the charm, but this running away with this competition is baffling. Back to Black is seriously 10 times the song Uptown Top Ranking is in melody and performance. Lyrics are like the tenth thing I look at in a song and I'm just starting to look at UTR's. They do have a nice swagger and seem to be a strong feature. It's also hard to compare songs that are so lyrically different.
Does a song just rest on melody and lyrics though? Or is the whole vibe the thing that counts? That imperceptible thing which marks out a great record. There's thousands of songs with pretty, well-constructed melodies which I despise. Then there's songs which rant away on one note which are superb.
Of course not. Hence Louie Louie being a classic. This all gets muddled, particularly when nostalgia comes into play.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:10pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Just listened to it like three times in a row and I just don't get it. Like I said, it's fine, the music is great and there is some charm to the vocals, but the melody isn't particularly strong and they aren't very good singers. I guess that's part of the charm, but this running away with this competition is baffling. Back to Black is seriously 10 times the song Uptown Top Ranking is in melody and performance. Lyrics are like the tenth thing I look at in a song and I'm just starting to look at UTR's. They do have a nice swagger and seem to be a strong feature. It's also hard to compare songs that are so lyrically different.
Does a song just rest on melody and lyrics though? Or is the whole vibe the thing that counts? That imperceptible thing which marks out a great record. There's thousands of songs with pretty, well-constructed melodies which I despise. Then there's songs which rant away on one note which are superb.
Of course not. Hence Louie Louie being a classic. This all gets muddled, particularly when nostalgia comes into play.
Hmmm dunno about the nostalgia thing. It's a great tune and it's being played by some of the biggest names in reggae. If it were released it would be a sure fire number 1.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:19pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Hmmm dunno about the nostalgia thing. It's a great tune and it's being played by some of the biggest names in reggae. If it were released it would be a sure fire number 1.
Didn't Lily Allen basically steal it for Smile a few years back and have a worldwide hit with it?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Didn't Lily Allen basically steal it for Smile a few years back and have a worldwide hit with it?
I know the Lilly Allen song but never really paid that much attention to it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:29pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

I can’t hear it it in the Lilly Allen song :huh:
Some of her other steals have been obvious.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
Im with Hoy.

Can someone do some photoshopping . Image

It isnt a bad song but doesn't do much for me.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

A search of the two songs together has just brought up quite a few mentions of the similarity.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 8:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 7:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

A search of the two songs together has just brought up quite a few mentions of the similarity.
It's...a rip off. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
major Fleston going on here at the expense of Floy AND FlexBob.

what a fucked up time to be alive
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 8:54pm
Heston wrote:

All the confirmation I need.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:

Are these the sort of alliances you really want to be making?

How many Phil Collins records did you have to buy for this? What's next Shadowaddy and Kakajaroo?

History will be your harshest judge.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:

I feel weird being in this unholy alliance.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I just listened to it again but this time as just background music and Im warming up to it. Its no Paranoid but I am starting to see the appeal.