50%

Total votes: 18

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 2 Track 2 Vote - (The Real) Round 3

Post by Dr. Medulla »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 5:20am
Did we have a winner here, I was going to vote for Garbage but didn't bother as I thought it may ultimately be disqualified on the basis of it being Side 3 Track 2 (technically Side 1 of disc 2) under DMs rules. I know this as I was going to nominate it myself but when I got round to looking at it has missed the chance on Side 1.
There is a cassette release that has it as Side 2, Track 2, so it qualifies.

edit: https://www.discogs.com/Garbage-Garbage/release/931051
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 31 Aug 2020, 8:07am, edited 1 time in total.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just recapping what I have to work with so far. Mimi's argued for "Stupid Girl" because of its Clash connection, which does have merit given the uniting character of this community. Silent Majority has argued for "They Don't Know," citing classic themes of yearning and heartsickness, and its retro feel. Stuff about the original version and my own love of TDK doesn't count with me.

Does anyone have any comment about either song in relation to the previous winners?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:07am
Just recapping what I have to work with so far. Mimi's argued for "Stupid Girl" because of its Clash connection, which does have merit given the uniting character of this community. Silent Majority has argued for "They Don't Know," citing classic themes of yearning and heartsickness, and its retro feel. Stuff about the original version and my own love of TDK doesn't count with me.

Does anyone have any comment about either song in relation to the previous winners?
No. It's your thread so you're the boss as far as I see it. Just make sure you're better than the old boss. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No. It's your thread so you're the boss as far as I see it. Just make sure you're better than the old boss. ;)
I don't really understand this. I'm soliciting more arguments for either song, and specifically asking whether people think one song or the other makes better sense within the context of the "album" this far.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:19am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I don't really understand this. I'm soliciting more arguments for either song, and specifically asking whether people think one song or the other makes better sense within the context of the "album" this far.
In the context of the album I don't see it making a jot of difference to what appears to me to be a very disjointed album already. Either song would fit. It's surely a case of which song wins in a tie breaker. As it currently stands as a draw I thought you had final sway?
Last edited by Marky Dread on 31 Aug 2020, 8:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I suggest you invoke rule 101W aka the Paranoid rule

Rule 101W Clearly states if you're not happy with the outcome scrap it and start over again.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I find it hard to split them so this is offered more as observation than endorsement, but it does strike me as interesting that TDK would be the first 80s selection thus far should it prevail. I thought it would be vying with the 70s for most chosen.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In the context of the album I don't see it making a jot of difference to what appears to me to be a very disjointed album already. Either song would fit. It's surely a case of which song wins in a the breaker. As it currently stands as a draw I thought you had final sway?
My goal from the start was to have minimal input beyond the initial guidelines. The results are supposed to come down to the rest of you. That's why I'm looking for arguments one way or another. Seems silly to me that it would come down to what I like.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:45am
I find it hard to split them so this is offered more as observation than endorsement, but it does strike me as interesting that TDK would be the first 80s selection thus far should it prevail. I thought it would be vying with the 70s for most chosen.
Huh. You're right. Didn't notice that at all.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In the context of the album I don't see it making a jot of difference to what appears to me to be a very disjointed album already. Either song would fit. It's surely a case of which song wins in a the breaker. As it currently stands as a draw I thought you had final sway?
My goal from the start was to have minimal input beyond the initial guidelines. The results are supposed to come down to the rest of you. That's why I'm looking for arguments one way or another. Seems silly to me that it would come down to what I like.
Yes but it's tied at 9/9. So the people have already spoken via their votes. If you are going to be swayed by someone giving you a strong argument for inclusion then why bother voting?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:30am

Rule 101W Clearly states if you're not happy with the outcome scrap it and start over again.
After the revolution toppled the regime, Rule 101W was declared a crime against the people. I

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:51am
revbob wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:30am

After the revolution toppled the regime, Rule 101W was declared a crime against the people. I
Ok well my absentee ballot was post marked by the appropriate time and Im sure it will arrive in the next day or two.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Right though it should make no difference to the outcome.

Here's my view. "They Don't Know" is a cover of which the original is better by a country mile.

"Stupid Girl" is an original song using a sample of a great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:48am
Low Down Low wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:45am
Huh. You're right. Didn't notice that at all.
Ah, may mean something or nothing very much st all. Off hand the other poll was probably very 70s top heavy too, but does seem to me the retro vibe is that bit stronger on this poll, thinking of nomimations and my own preferences anyway. Does make me think on it which seems a quite useful exercise.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 8:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes but it's tied at 9/9. So the people have already spoken via their votes. If you are going to be swayed by someone giving you a strong argument for inclusion then why bother voting?
Because the voting stage normally precludes this—there's normally one that achieves over 50%. This is just a way of still picking a winner without it being my preference, as if I voted.