Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 4:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 2:03pm
Keep on truckin', keep on votin'.
Ok hippie.
Be cool, dig?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 2 Track 3 Vote - Round 1b

Post by Flex »

Okay, I'm liking where this is going. With apologies to YYYs in particular, I'm voting with my head (Pretenders) and my heart (Interrupters), whomst I both love even if neither are my faves from their respective catalogs. They're still both quite great songs.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Must say that I'm surprised by the lack of support for "Y Control." I thought Hoy had picked one that would go to the next round.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:22pm
Must say that I'm surprised by the lack of support for "Y Control." I thought Hoy had picked one that would go to the next round.
Yeah, I thought it would do better too but here we see the cracks in the system. I voted Interrupters only as a strategy this time. I presumed the other would get more than one vote. This album desperately to kick it up a level.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:27pm
Yeah, I thought it would do better too but here we see the cracks in the system. I voted Interrupters only as a strategy this time. I presumed the other would get more than one vote. This album desperately to kick it up a level.
I think some people (including me on this side of round 1) are doing some tactical voting and/or rewarding the artist for coming up several times and not making it further as of yet. Probably hurts songs that aren't heralded classics or artists that haven't been put forth a few times already.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:31pm
revbob wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:27pm
I think some people (including me on this side of round 1) are doing some tactical voting and/or rewarding the artist for coming up several times and not making it further as of yet. Probably hurts songs that aren't heralded classics or artists that haven't been put forth a few times already.
There's something to be said, perhaps, for letting people vote for as many as they want in the initial round. Let people vote their hearts initially before being cruel later on.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:33pm
There's something to be said, perhaps, for letting people vote for as many as they want in the initial round. Let people vote their hearts initially before being cruel later on.
That, or single vote and eliminating lowest vote getters only and having more rounds (I'm for sure definitely not actually advocating that since it would be inordinate amounts of work for you and these poll runs are already quite insane as I know myself), so people know they can vote a personal fave and still go tactical or whatever later.

There are limitations to any system of voting, which is why I favor the elimination of the IMCT state and its replacement by a decentralized conglomeration of politburos which channel the will of the people into concrete track selection.

Addendum: I learned partway through, especially after early un-tactical voting simply for faves or new songs that captured my imagination, that in each round you're really only going to be dealing with a small handful of songs that have any chance of making it through multiple rounds - generally but not always stuff that's had a bit of commercial success, and generally but not always stuff that's been canonized as a respectable classic - so at that point you can either "waste" a vote on a personal song you love but isn't going to garner more than a few votes at best or you can assess what the likeliest vote getters are as these rounds consolidate and work to plump up the songs you most prefer within that subset and/or work to block songs you think will go far but personally dislike. I sort of dropped that tactical voting last round and was quite annoyed at where we almost ended up save for a technical disqualification! So that taught me to make sure I'm always voting first with an eye to blocking songs I don't want to see win.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That, or single vote and eliminating lowest vote getters only and having more rounds (I'm for sure definitely not actually advocating that since it would be inordinate amounts of work for you and these poll runs are already quite insane as I know myself), so people know they can vote a personal fave and still go tactical or whatever later.
Yeah, the problem with more rounds of voting, I suspect, is voter fatigue. Anything more than three is likely a mistake.
There are limitations to any system of voting, which is why I favor the elimination of the IMCT state and its replacement by a decentralized conglomeration of politburos which channel the will of the people into concrete track selection.
Can't spell Bolshevik without the v in Dave Matthews.
Addendum: I learned partway through, especially after early un-tactical voting simply for faves or new songs that captured my imagination, that in each round you're really only going to be dealing with a small handful of songs that have any chance of making it through multiple rounds - generally but not always stuff that's had a bit of commercial success, and generally but not always stuff that's been canonized as a respectable classic - so at that point you can either "waste" a vote on a personal song you love but isn't going to garner more than a few votes at best or you can assess what the likeliest vote getters are as these rounds consolidate and work to plump up the songs you most prefer within that subset and/or work to block songs you think will go far but personally dislike. I sort of dropped that tactical voting last round and was quite annoyed at where we almost ended up save for a technical disqualification! So that taught me to make sure I'm always voting first with an eye to blocking songs I don't want to see win.
Here and in life, I've never cottoned to tactical voting (I've done it once in a real election and felt shitty afterwards). Vote my heart and curse the morons who lack my discernment.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:50pm
Flex wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, the problem with more rounds of voting, I suspect, is voter fatigue. Anything more than three is likely a mistake.
Can't spell Bolshevik without the v in Dave Matthews.
Here and in life, I've never cottoned to tactical voting (I've done it once in a real election and felt shitty afterwards). Vote my heart and curse the morons who lack my discernment.
That last bit is me. I just vote for the songs I like the most.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:50pm
That last bit is me. I just vote for the songs I like the most.
The difference is that your choices are more likely to have wider appeal. :lol:

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 7:06pm
Heston's taste does tend to line up with folks' compromise picks.

This is where things get sticky. If we were eliminating songs one by one, would more folks be willing to try something more obscure/unusual in the middle rounds? Right now, you see a little less than half the board gravitate immediately to the top 40/canonized classic picks, leaving the remaining votes to be split with the more adventurous stuff. With intermediate rounds, would the adventurous minded tend to go straight back to the top 40 material or would they consolidate behind some oddball picks? Hard to say, but I suspect the latter may occur under different structural circumstances. Instead, we have everyone "voting their heart" and it lets the "lowest common denominator" stuff just slide through and eliminate any alternatives after a round.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This is where things get sticky. If we were eliminating songs one by one, would more folks be willing to try something more obscure/unusual in the middle rounds? Right now, you see a little less than half the board gravitate immediately to the top 40/canonized classic picks, leaving the remaining votes to be split with the more adventurous stuff. With intermediate rounds, would the adventurous minded tend to go straight back to the top 40 material or would they consolidate behind some oddball picks? Hard to say, but I suspect the latter may occur under different structural circumstances. Instead, we have everyone "voting their heart" and it lets the "lowest common denominator" stuff just slide through and eliminate any alternatives after a round.
I guess what you're asking is how do you set up a system that encourages exploration of unusual songs rather than the comfortable and well known. Spoken like someone operating on the left in the American context!

At least in real-world politics you can speak to people about why the mainstream candidate doesn't actually benefit an individual voter, but these kinds of votes, where the stakes are infinitely lower, are ironically more given to conservative responses (i.e., what is already known). There's just no payoff to being adventurous or radical unless your desire is just to be hostile to the mainstream (e.g., el revbob). So you can set up any number of structures, but unless you can generate incentives to consider the non-conservative choice, it won't fly.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 7:42pm
Flex wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I guess what you're asking is how do you set up a system that encourages exploration of unusual songs rather than the comfortable and well known. Spoken like someone operating on the left in the American context!

At least in real-world politics you can speak to people about why the mainstream candidate doesn't actually benefit an individual voter, but these kinds of votes, where the stakes are infinitely lower, are ironically more given to conservative responses (i.e., what is already known). There's just no payoff to being adventurous or radical unless your desire is just to be hostile to the mainstream (e.g., el revbob). So you can set up any number of structures, but unless you can generate incentives to consider the non-conservative choice, it won't fly.
Hey!!!
You don't get me at all...sell out! :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 8:01pm
Hey!!!
You don't get me at all...sell out! :shifty:

Not just for Flexes anymore.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 6:22pm
2 votes for my picks is what I expect. Anything more is a pleasant surprise. So par for the course for this one. It's a great, energetic, dirty art punk track, but whatever. I was hoping to add Maps, but that didn't happen and that should have gone far, but it probably wouldn't have.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.