20%

Total votes: 15

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 2 Track 4 Vote - Round 3

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:24am
As someone who only has a cursory knowledge of disco, "I Feel Love" feels foreign. It's certainly not a pop song, there is too much space. Refrains come and go seemingly at random. I really wish it was 4am and I was high off my ass on coke and this song would be perfect. Reminds of that Beach Boys disco song, but better. I guess real disco songs are long as shit and just meandering for coke heads.
Greatest disco song of all time is "Love Train" by The O'Jays. Holy crap but it's magnificent.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:18pm
matedog wrote:
As someone who only has a cursory knowledge of disco, "I Feel Love" feels foreign. It's certainly not a pop song, there is too much space. Refrains come and go seemingly at random. I really wish it was 4am and I was high off my ass on coke and this song would be perfect. Reminds of that Beach Boys disco song, but better. I guess real disco songs are long as shit and just meandering for coke heads.
Greatest disco song of all time is "Love Train" by The O'Jays. Holy crap but it's magnificent.
See I don't even think of that as a disco song. More like a 70's soul/pop/R&B. I see wiki classifies at as disco and there is a six minute version, so maybe I need to give that a spin.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I was going to say Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield but it's so early that we have to call it soul.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:17pm
matedog wrote:
It's still got that mad freshness that truly original songs always carry, regardless of their imitators. The Pistols singles came out in the same year, and their revolution was in the lyrics and presentational attack - there was nothing new in the music. I Feel Love is brilliantly new and you can hear that.
I totally get that about the production and sound, it felt like it had landed from another planet. But ultimately as a tune it doesn't really knock my socks off.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

as i alluded to above, the production was a big influence on the post-punk scenes of, particular,y new york where there was all that mutant disco happening in the 80s. I love all that shit, all of it took a huge page out of the giorgio moroder book and this song in particular. which, again, doesn't necessarily mean i'm full on in love with the song itself, but there is some pretty solid punk and underground connectivity there, if you want it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

And speaking of Joni, here's her first known recording, a very lovely cover of House of the Rising Sun:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
See I don't even think of that as a disco song. More like a 70's soul/pop/R&B. I see wiki classifies at as disco and there is a six minute version, so maybe I need to give that a spin.
It's early disco, so the soul antecedents more obviously stand out. But it's definitely disco.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
I don't know if I think it's the greatest disco song of all time but it's great for sure.

Probably pick something by Chic. But there are loads of great disco songs. "I Feel Love" was a huge disco song but it's equal parts electronic as disco.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
I don't know if I think it's the greatest disco song of all time but it's great for sure.

Probably pick something by Chic. But there are loads of great disco songs. "I Feel Love" was a huge disco song but it's equal parts electronic as disco.
My vote would be for some Chic song or other as well, if only because of Bernard Edwards. Probably "Clap Your Hands."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 5:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

My vote would be for some Chic song or other as well, if only because of Bernard Edwards. Probably "Clap Your Hands."
Yeah that's a great tune Kory. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 7:54am
When you think of Clash fans, clearly you should think of disco or folk pop, not ska punk! But which should you think of more?
Well, one song is anti-capitalist, and the other is a drug anthem
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

If we're talking disco, I can't look past "Red Light Spells Danger" by Billy Ocean.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When you think of Clash fans, clearly you should think of disco or folk pop, not ska punk! But which should you think of more?
Wait, is the parking lot actually a narc?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 5:35pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure, what kind of paradise did you think she was talking about?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 5:35pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure, what kind of paradise did you think she was talking about?
I thought it was a 72 virgins Islamic terrorist suicide bomber song. Man, I don't get lyrics, like, at all.