Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 2 Track 5 Nominations

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 1:37pm
Kory wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 12:40pm
laxman wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:40am
I have been trying to work out for a while which Siouxsie track to nominate. I'll nominate this one before leaving it too late.

The board doesn't like Siouxsie, I've tried too many times only to lose out to some top 40 nonsense or something.
Im a casual fan. Saw her live once and it was great. But yeah this compilation is gonna be a snooze fest if something isn't done soon.
At least we can say we tried.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:16pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
laxman wrote:
I have been trying to work out for a while which Siouxsie track to nominate. I'll nominate this one before leaving it too late.

The board doesn't like Siouxsie, I've tried too many times only to lose out to some top 40 nonsense or something.
Im a casual fan. Saw her live once and it was great. But yeah this compilation is gonna be a snooze fest if something isn't done soon.
But not Heston.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
laxman wrote:

This game is demonstrating what we already knew—decisions made at board meetings suck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:17pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
laxman wrote:

But not Heston.
I'm not taking the bait. It's pretty obvious the more well known songs will rise to the top of the pile. And for my money, punk and new wave wasn't blessed with a massive amount of female talent. Hence the swing to disco etc.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:23pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:

But not Heston.
I'm not taking the bait. It's pretty obvious the more well known songs will rise to the top of the pile. And for my money, punk and new wave wasn't blessed with a massive amount of female talent. Hence the swing to disco etc.
Again I come across...however I come across on here but Im not usually being too serious. Do I wish the song selection was different, no doubt.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 2:34pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:

But not Heston.
Again I come across...however I come across on here but Im not usually being too serious. Do I wish the song selection was different, no doubt.
I know you're not being serious...I'm just good-humoredly not taking the bait. ;) My other points stand.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Siouxsie & The Banshees made some amazing records. They (She) deserves to be on the comp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:01pm
Siouxsie & The Banshees made some amazing records. They (She) deserves to be on the comp.
I have been working through The Creatures records recently. Right up there with the Banshees records in my view.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
And for my money, punk and new wave wasn't blessed with a massive amount of female talent.
Funny, it was just this past winter that, after finding a bunch of women's punk comps, I concluded that female bands generated so much more interesting music from the punk/post-punk eruption. I can't help but think that the punk/post-punk canon is primarily male because the record industry and critics are predominantly male.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
More so than another disco track? I dont think so.

And yeah Doc called out Heston's post of lack of female talent in punk and new wave. I certainly cant agree with this. I suppose they didnt chart well but that's not the same as talent nor good music. Ive always felt for my money the wealth of underexposed artists tend to be more interesting than most of the household names/chart toppers but yeah just my opinion.

Which brings us to what is the point of this exercise again?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:16pm
Heston wrote:
And for my money, punk and new wave wasn't blessed with a massive amount of female talent.
Funny, it was just this past winter that, after finding a bunch of women's punk comps, I concluded that female bands generated so much more interesting music from the punk/post-punk eruption. I can't help but think that the punk/post-punk canon is primarily male because the record industry and critics are predominantly male.
You call it interesting (I agree) but you don't call it great. I think that the problem being memorable only comes from being given a chance for airplay. Those records that did breakthrough like Siouxsie/Lene/Toyah etc were memorable and more pop orientated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
For me yes definitely however this comp is a democracy (of sorts). Early on Matedog said something about making this comp just another punk/post punk thing. But that's my personal preference and that would deny some other fabulous genres.

It would've been a better idea to have gone with a best of a particular genre. That way we would've ended up with a more rounded result of a comp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:16pm
Heston wrote:
You call it interesting (I agree) but you don't call it great. I think that the problem being memorable only comes from being given a chance for airplay. Those records that did breakthrough like Siouxsie/Lene/Toyah etc were memorable and more pop orientated.
Huh—good catch. Perhaps subconscious was working there with my word choice, Because, yeah, I'd hesitate to call a lot of that stuff great—which, to me, has a comparative element to it, ranking with others—but it's more appealing to me in many respects than, say, the first Clash album, because it's so often people who only ever put out one single or ep, and gave it all on that one shot. Its lo-fi, amateurish sound feels somehow more desperately sincere. And I realize I'm playing some kind of game here in my own mind. If the Clash only ever released "White Riot," it'd feel the same way. I don't mean it in a snobbish way, but there's something special that these women left behind this obscure recording and that was it, as opposed to those whose albums have been re-released over and over. I think I'm rambling here, but whenever I hear these lost songs (by women or men), I get that kind of buzz I did when I was sixteen and discovered the Clash.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:33pm
revbob wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
For me yes definitely however this comp is a democracy (of sorts). Early on Matedog said something about making this comp just another punk/post punk thing. But that's my personal preference and that would deny some other fabulous genres.

It would've been a better idea to have gone with a best of a particular genre. That way we would've ended up with a more rounded result of a comp.
What the male album exercise proved to me (though I probably would have guessed) is that there is no platonically perfect Track 5 out there that makes it a brilliant Track 5 to follow on from a platonically perfect Track 4. The male album (and I've listened to it a few times while working) sounds like garbage, with the transition from one song to another consistently jarring. Now, us playlist pedants could probably order the songs in such a way to cut down on that, but this whole thing is definitely more about the journey than the destination.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 5:49pm
What the male album exercise proved to me (though I probably would have guessed) is that there is no platonically perfect Track 5 out there that makes it a brilliant Track 5 to follow on from a platonically perfect Track 4. The male album (and I've listened to it a few times while working) sounds like garbage, with the transition from one song to another consistently jarring. Now, us playlist pedants could probably order the songs in such a way to cut down on that, but this whole thing is definitely more about the journey than the destination.
Very nicely put. It's about the conversation and the snark—that's the community right there. The results are the souvenir of our long night out at the bar together. The results make no sense but it's what we cobbled together nonetheless.