The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 2:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 2:37pm
Well, another late voter who elected to be king (or, in this case, queen) maker (Olaf again?). And The Interruptors finish one vote shy again.

For our last song, anything is eligible as long as it didn't appear on a proper album. Singles-only releases, ep's, live cuts are all legit … as long as they weren't also on the original album. Compilations, of course, are eligible. And, as always, check discogs whether it was on an album. Let's close this bastard out strong!

Blondie, "Hanging On the Telephone"
The Breeders, "Cannonball"
Dusty Springfield, "Son of a Preacher Man"
ABBA, "SOS"
Althea & Donna, "Uptown Top Ranking"
Kate Bush, "Wuthering Heights"

Nina Simone, "To be Young, Gifted, & Black"
Garbage, "Stupid Girl"
The Pretenders, "Brass in the Pocket"
Donna Summer, "I Feel Love"
The Au Pairs, "It's Obvious"
X-Ray Spex, "The Day The World Turned Day-Glo"
I cant be mad about the Spex winning last round.

Question now is do I find a version of Paranoid,
Well I did consider nominating Cindy & Bert.
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 5:27pm
Olaf wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 4:27pm
Gloria Jones- Tainted Love (the original single version)

Never heard the OG version.
Looks like I've got to vote Gloria and Interrupters in this round.
Jetzt das Kinderlied...

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2908
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by laxman »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 3:27am
Ha ha, don't mention the 'D' word... :twitch:

Stereolab - French Disko



My top 2 choices already taken and Siouxsie's Israel was a contender but the wonderful HKG already nominated.
Could add Dear Prudence for a good trio of non album singles.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36111
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Heston »

Martha Reeves & the Vandellas - I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2573
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).


Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36111
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Heston »

gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).

I think it qualifies. I wanted to nominate it earlier but no album option. Stormer of a track. This seems the strongest round yet.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94310
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).

Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36111
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:15pm
gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).

Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94310
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:15pm
gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).

Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
Discogs lists it in the Album section, not Compilation (https://www.discogs.com/artist/10381-Bow-Wow-Wow). That's the standard we're going by.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36111
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:15pm
gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).

Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
Discogs lists it in the Album section, not Compilation (https://www.discogs.com/artist/10381-Bow-Wow-Wow). That's the standard we're going by.
Fair enough but it's confusing. It was recognised at the time as an inter album single and it's blatantly a compilation album.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94310
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:15pm
gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 6:34pm
Hello,

Does "I Want Candy" qualify? I don't believe it was on a proper album - just an EP (Last of the Mohicans).

Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
Discogs lists it in the Album section, not Compilation (https://www.discogs.com/artist/10381-Bow-Wow-Wow). That's the standard we're going by.
Fair enough but it's confusing. It was recognised at the time as an inter album single and it's blatantly a compilation album.
I agree that it's confusing, but setting out one source as the standard eliminates judgement calls on our part (leading to complaints). I wonder if it's considered an album because it was the first stateside release by the band. A compilation of UK tracks, but a proper album to the US. Kind of like the North American release of The Clash. By UK standards, it's more of a compilation, but by NA standards it's an album.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2573
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 8:12pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:15pm


Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
Discogs lists it in the Album section, not Compilation (https://www.discogs.com/artist/10381-Bow-Wow-Wow). That's the standard we're going by.
Fair enough but it's confusing. It was recognised at the time as an inter album single and it's blatantly a compilation album.
I agree that it's confusing, but setting out one source as the standard eliminates judgement calls on our part (leading to complaints). I wonder if it's considered an album because it was the first stateside release by the band. A compilation of UK tracks, but a proper album to the US. Kind of like the North American release of The Clash. By UK standards, it's more of a compilation, but by NA standards it's an album.
Hello,

So it will be on the UK Ultimate Women's Album but not on the US release?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36111
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 8:12pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:15pm


Discogs has it as a 1982 LP: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-I-W ... ter/133424
Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
Discogs lists it in the Album section, not Compilation (https://www.discogs.com/artist/10381-Bow-Wow-Wow). That's the standard we're going by.
Fair enough but it's confusing. It was recognised at the time as an inter album single and it's blatantly a compilation album.
I agree that it's confusing, but setting out one source as the standard eliminates judgement calls on our part (leading to complaints). I wonder if it's considered an album because it was the first stateside release by the band. A compilation of UK tracks, but a proper album to the US. Kind of like the North American release of The Clash. By UK standards, it's more of a compilation, but by NA standards it's an album.
I nearly mentioned Clash s/t. Would White Man have been allowed if we were playing the male version of this?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94310
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 8:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 8:12pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:32pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 7:19pm


Compilation...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_Candy_(album)
Discogs lists it in the Album section, not Compilation (https://www.discogs.com/artist/10381-Bow-Wow-Wow). That's the standard we're going by.
Fair enough but it's confusing. It was recognised at the time as an inter album single and it's blatantly a compilation album.
I agree that it's confusing, but setting out one source as the standard eliminates judgement calls on our part (leading to complaints). I wonder if it's considered an album because it was the first stateside release by the band. A compilation of UK tracks, but a proper album to the US. Kind of like the North American release of The Clash. By UK standards, it's more of a compilation, but by NA standards it's an album.
Hello,

So it will be on the UK Ultimate Women's Album but not on the US release?
Heh, I guess if our rule was based on only UK releases, then it would be only eligible for the flexi category, but on the global side, it's S1T1.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 94310
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc - Nominations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 8:24pm
I nearly mentioned Clash s/t. Would White Man have been allowed if we were playing the male version of this?
If we were using discogs as the arbiter, yes, "White Man" and "Complete Control" would be considered album tracks.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply