The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc Vote - Round 1a - VOTE IN THIS ONE NOT THE OTHER

Flexi Disc - 1a

Poll ended at 03 Oct 2020, 4:41pm

Aimee Mann, "Save Me"
9%
Gloria Jones, "Tainted Love"
32%
Huggy Bear, "Her Jazz"
9%
In Tua Nua, "Coming Thru"
No votes
Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'"
14%
Patti Smith, "Piss Factory"
36%

Total votes: 22

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc Vote - Round 1a - VOTE IN THIS ONE NOT THE OTHER

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 5:45pm
revbob wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 5:40pm
Get a room you two.
It only takes two to tango. ;)
:lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - The Flexi Disc Vote - Round 1a - VOTE IN THIS ONE NOT THE OTHER

Post by gkbill »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 7:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 7:25am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 7:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 7:02am
gkbill wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 11:58pm
Hello,

After all's said and done with this album, would an MTV/80's pop board have a different track listing? This used to be a Clash board. No Joan Jett, No Suzi Quatro, no Interrupters, no Bow Wow Wow, no Pretenders, no Selecter, no Slits (I'm missing a few here as well) but Donna Summer is here. No offense to Donna Summer but her place shouldn't be here.
Pretenders are on board. I don't agree that Donna Summer shouldn't be here. As a Clash board they were a band that embraced all styles and this comp reflects that.
Yep, pretty sure Joe and Mick were soaking up the vibe at Studio 54 before writing Mag 7, Radio Clash 12" and Overpowered by Funk.
Exactly mate.
... and Topper being on the floor at fifty-four.
Hello,

I'm late to the party again but as probably tone of the few old enough to have been around Studio 54 (full transparency - I never got in; I only tried to go twice but I guess I didn't have the look - New York had plenty of clubs with better music in my admittedly biased opinion), no one really went to Studio 54 for the music. Most people I knew that went actually went to be seen, see someone, get drugs, or get laid. Studio 54 has gotten a better reputation with nostalgia. Did anyone else here try to go?

I got no pun, my babe, no pun.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 12:06am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Pretenders are on board. I don't agree that Donna Summer shouldn't be here. As a Clash board they were a band that embraced all styles and this comp reflects that.
Yep, pretty sure Joe and Mick were soaking up the vibe at Studio 54 before writing Mag 7, Radio Clash 12" and Overpowered by Funk.
Exactly mate.
Hello,

I'm late to the party again but as probably tone of the few old enough to have been around Studio 54 (full transparency - I never got in; I only tried to go twice but I guess I didn't have the look - New York had plenty of clubs with better music in my admittedly biased opinion), no one really went to Studio 54 for the music. Most people I knew that went actually went to be seen, see someone, get drugs, or get laid. Studio 54 has gotten a better reputation with nostalgia. Did anyone else here try to go?

No not where I come from. ;) I suppose here it would've been the Blitz club in the 80s London. I did go there once but it was full of poseurs but that was very much the point of the New Romantics. Boy George was the cloakroom attendant back then and a nice guy.

No pun to hang around
Feelin' that same old way
No pun to hang around
Freaked out
For another day

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

gkbill wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Exactly mate.
Hello,

Interesting, never got to NYC until much later. London early 80s for me, Camden Palace and the Wag Club a couple of times, would get turned away more often than get in. We'd have fun but plenty of poseurs.

The beautiful people are ugly too
There's gonna be a lot of washing when the dance is through.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Get a room you two.
Lightning Strikes only once. :shifty:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 3:14am
gkbill wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

Exactly mate.
Hello,

Interesting, never got to NYC until much later. London early 80s for me, Camden Palace and the Wag Club a couple of times, would get turned away more often than get in. We'd have fun but plenty of poseurs.

Was in the Wag once, late 80s, only cos my friend at the time was related to the manager. Only remaining memories are that it was wall to wall poserville, seeing Jonathan Ross looking utterly bored and using our free drink tickets on these obscenely gorgeous girls who then got up and walked away when they learned we didn't have any drugs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 3:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Get a room you two.
Lightning Strikes only once. :shifty:
Lightning doesn't bother me. It only strikes in old New York.

It's immediately obvious
Anybody star-guilt
Would have left this club
Way before it was built
This strikes ya' so late
As the guy with the broom
Sweeps you and the bottles
Right out of the room...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 3:53am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 3:14am
gkbill wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Exactly mate.
Hello,

Was in the Wag once, late 80s, only cos my friend at the time was related to the manager. Only remaining memories are that it was wall to wall poserville, seeing Jonathan Ross looking utterly bored and using our free drink tickets on these obscenely gorgeous girls who then got up and walked away when they learned we didn't have any drugs.
Went to Le Beat Route club a few times. I can remember "Blue Rondo Ala Turk" from that time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 1:17am
gkbill wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

Exactly mate.
Hello,

No not where I come from. ;) I suppose here it would've been the Blitz club in the 80s London. I did go there once but it was full of poseurs but that was very much the point of the New Romantics. Boy George was the cloakroom attendant back then and a nice guy.

No pun to hang around
No pun to hang around
Freaked out
For another day
Hello,

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Marky.

I'm kind of surprised - but I'm older than I thought!

There was CBGB's (tough to get into for a good band), the Mudd Club, Palladium, the Ritz (great for music - saw a lot of good bands there and the bars were easy to get to), Area, the Lonestar (James Brown, Chuck Berry, Billy Bragg), the Zebra Lounge (kind of scary but fun) and a bunch of others. I'm just reminiscing out loud for the hell of it, I guess.

I still got no pun.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 12:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 1:17am
gkbill wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Exactly mate.
Hello,

No pun to hang around
No pun to hang around
Freaked out
For another day
Hello,

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Marky.

I'm kind of surprised - but I'm older than I thought!

There was CBGB's (tough to get into for a good band), the Mudd Club, Palladium, the Ritz (great for music - saw a lot of good bands there and the bars were easy to get to), Area, the Lonestar (James Brown, Chuck Berry, Billy Bragg), the Zebra Lounge (kind of scary but fun) and a bunch of others. I'm just reminiscing out loud for the hell of it, I guess.

I still got no pun.
All aboard for pun time. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia