The Ultimate Women's Album Poll 2020 - The Final Results & Round-Up

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

The Ultimate Women's Album Poll 2020 - The Final Results & Round-Up

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And here is the product of all our nominating and voting:

(I got a grant from the George Soros Anarchist Destabilizer Fund to press up a second disc of the runners-up to make this a double album.)

And for those who are interested, here are all 187 songs that were nominated:

ABBA, "Dancing Queen" • ABBA, "SOS" • Adele, "Set Fire To The Rain" • Against Me!, "Unconditional Love" • Against Me!, "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" • Against Me!, "True Trans Soul Rebel" • Aimee Mann, "It's Not" • Aimee Mann, "Real Bad News" • Aimee Mann, "Save Me" • Alabama Shakes, "Future People" • Altered Images, "Don't Talk to Me About Love" • Altered Images, "Happy Birthday" • Althea & Donna, "Uptown Top Ranking" • Amazulu, "Moonlight Romance" • Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black" • Anna Calvi, "Desire" • Annie Lennox, "Walking On Broken Glass" • Aretha Franklin, ""Respect • Aretha Franklin, "Money Won't Change You" • Aretha Franklin, "Rock Steady"

Babes in Toyland, "Won't Tell" • Billie Holiday, "Strange Fruit" • Björk, "I Miss You" • Bjork, "It's Oh So Quiet" • Bjork, "Play Dead" • Blondie, "Hanging On the Telephone" • Bow Wow Wow, "Do You Wanna Hold Me?" • Bow Wow Wow, "Elimination Dancing" • Bow Wow Wow, "Golly! Golly! Go Buddy!"

Camille Yarbrough, "Take Yo' Praise" • Candi Staton, "Young Hearts Run Free" • Cat Power, "The Greatest" • Chairlift, "Amanaemonesia" • Chumbawamba, "Timebomb" • Cocteau Twins, "Heaven or Las Vegas" • Courtney Barnett, "Small Poppies" • Crass, "Dry Weather" • Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time"

Dee Dee Sharp, "(Dee Dee) Be My Girl" • Deee-Lite, "Groove Is In The Heart" • Detroit Cobras, "Out of this World" • Detroit Cobras, "Right Around The Corner" • Dionne Warwick, "Walk On By" • Divinyls, "Human On The Inside" • Donna Summer, "I Feel Love" • Duffy, "Mercy" • Dusty Springfield, "Son of a Preacher Man"

Elastica, "Da Da Da" • Epoxies, "Synthesized" • Erykah Badu, "Next Lifetime" • Everything But the Girl, "Apron Strings" • Everything But The Girl, "Missing" • Fanny, "Ain't That Peculiar" • Fiona Apple, "Criminal" • Garbage, "Stupid Girl" • Girl in a Coma, "Ven Cerca" • Gladys Knight & the Pips, "Midnight Train to Georgia" • Gloria Jones, "Tainted Love"

Hazel O'Connor, "Will You?" • Hellsongs, "Paranoid" • Hole, "Asking For It" • Hole, "Malibu" • Hole, "Miss World" • Hole, "Playing Your Song" • Holly & The Italians, "Tell That Girl to Shut Up" • Huggy Bear, "Her Jazz" • In Tua Nua, "Coming Thru" • Janis Joplin, "My Baby" • Joan Armatrading, "Drop the Pilot" • Joan Armatrading, "Love and Affection" • Joan Jett, "Bad Reputation" • Joan Jett, "Crimson and Clover" • Joni Mitchell, "Big Yellow Taxi" • Joni Mitchell, "River" • Josie Kreuzer, “Wild Man”

Kate Bush, "Cloudbusting" • Kate Bush, "Hounds of Love" • Kate Bush, "Running Up That Hill" • Kate Bush, "Wuthering Heights" • Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone" • Kirsty MacColl, "In These Shoes" • L7, "Pretend We're Dead" • Lauryn Hill, "Ex Factor" • Lene Lovich, "Lucky Number" • Lorde, "Royals"

M People, "Moving On Up" • Madonna, "Ray of Light" • Madonna, "Take a Bow" • Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, "I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playin'" • Missing Persons, "Destination Unknown" • Missy Elliot, "Get Ur Freak On" • Monsoon, "Ever So Lonely"

N Trance, "Set You Free" • Neko Case, "I Wish I Was the Moon" • Nena, "99 Luftballons" • Nina Hagen, "The Lord's Prayer" • Nina Simone, "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free" • Nina Simone, "To be Young, Gifted, & Black" • Nina Simone, "Trouble in Mind" • Noisettes, "Never Forget You"

P.J. Harvey, "This Mess We're In" • Pat Benatar, "Invincible" • Patti Smith Group, "Because The Night" • Patti Smith, "New Party" • Patti Smith, "Piss Factory" • Penetration, "Life's A Gamble" • PJ Harvey, "Down By The Water" • PJ Harvey, "Dress" • Portishead, "Glory Box" • Portishead, "Strangers"

Queen Latifah, "Ladies First" • Republica, "Drop Dead Gorgeous" • Róisín Murphy, "Let Me Know" • Ruby Velle & the Soulphonics, "Shackles" • Ruby Velle & the Soulphonics, "The Agenda"

Salt n Pepa, "Shoop" • Santigold, "Radio" • Santigold, "This Isn’t Our Parade" • Santigold, "Who I Thought You Were" • Selector, "Cool Blue Lady" • Shakespears Sister, "Hello (Turn Your Radio On)" • Sheryl Crow, "If It Makes You Happy" • Sinead O'Connor, "The Emperor's New Clothes" • Siouxsie & the Banshees, "Cities in Dustl" • Siouxsie & the Banshees, "Hong Kong Garden" • Siouxsie & the Banshees, "Switch" • Sister Rosetta Tharpe, "This Train" • Sleater Kinney, "Start Together" • Sleater-Kinney, "Leave You Behind" • Sleeper, "What Do I Do Now?" • Sleigh Bells, "Rill Rill" • Sneaker Pimp, "Tesko Suicide" • Star, "Liars in Love" • Stereo Total, "A l'Amour Comme a la Guerre" • Stereolab, "French Disko" • Suzi Quatro, "Can the Can”

Tamar-kali, "Boot" • Tammi Savoy & The Chris Casello Combo, "Them There Eyes" • Tanita Tikaram, "Twist In My Sobriety" • The Au Pairs, "It's Obvious" • The Au Pairs, "Repetition" • The B-52's, "52 Girls" • The Bangles, "Walk Like An Egyptian" • The Beautiful South, "Rotterdam Or Anywhere" • The Belle Stars, "Sign of the Times" • The Breeders, "Cannonball" • The Coathangers, "My Baby" • The Cranberries, "In The End" • The Cranberries, "Linger" • The Cranberries, "Zombie" • The Crystals, "Da Doo Ron Ron" • The Epoxies, "Everything Looks Beautiful On Video" • The Go-Go's, "Our Lips Are Sealed" • The Go-Go's, "Turn To You" • The Go-Go's, "We Got the Beat" • The Interrupters, "Get Down Moses" • The Interrupters, "Haven't Seen the Last of Me" • The Interrupters, "Jenny Drinks" • The Interrupters, "Rumours and Gossip" • The Interrupters, "The Prosecutor" • The Interrupters, "White Noise"

The Pogues, "I'm A Man You Don't Meet Every Day" • The Pretenders, "Brass in the Pocket" • The Pretenders, "My City Was Gone" • The Pretenders, "Talk of the Town" • The Pretenders. "Kid" • The Raincoats, "Lola" • The Raincoats,"In Love" • The Selecter, "Bombscape" • The Selecter, "Three Minute Hero" • The Shirelles, "Ooh Poo Pah Doo" • The Slits, "Instant Hit" • The Slits, "Typical Girls" • The Sundays, "Can't Be Sure" • The Supremes, "Come See About Me" • The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Soft Shock" • The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Y Control"

Til Tuesday, "Crash and Burn" • Tom Tom Club, "Genius of Love" • Tori Amos, "Cornflake Girl" • Toyah, "Neon Womb" • Tracey Ullman, "They Don't Know" • Tricky, "Overcome" • Voice of the Beehive, "I Say Nothing" • X-Ray Spex, "Identity" • X-Ray Spex, "The Day The World Turned Day-Glo" • X, "Motel Room In My Bed" • Zap Mama, "Guzophela"

Now, let us never speak of this again. :twitch:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album Poll 2020 - The Final Results & Round-Up

Post by revbob »

This should be an annual event. Previous winners not eligible.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm laughing and crying again here all over again. Big respect for that back cover. Love the title as well. :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Nice!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You did a great job with this.

I think we should do this every year in honor of 101

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 11:45pm
You did a great job with this.

I think we should do this every year in honor of 101
Yeah, come up with a different theme. And let some other chump run it. I quickly came to believe that Wally was cackling the whole time at me when things went off the rails.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Thanks for your efforts, Doc! It was definitely too much work, too much stress, too much dealing with butt-holes like me.

By the way, no Bodysnatchers?

I'm a butthole to the end.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Magnificent effort Doc, you deserve much kudos. Got to hear to some really great gracks along the way.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Big thanks to Doc for his trojan work throughout this marathon. Probably touch and go whether it was worth the hassle but it was very much appreciated. The final list obviously wont suit all tastes but i think there's a good variety to it and they're all strong songs, even the couple im not particularly gone on personally.

Especially enjoyed the nominations, picking up on acts i was unfamiliar with, Fanny and Ruby Velle being two of the standouts.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Great work, thank you very much. I'm sure we could get Cherry Red Records to turn that into one of their box set releases!

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Great job, Doc. Thanks for all the work.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 8:41am
Great job, Doc. Thanks for all the work.
If not for you and your proper suspicion of Heston's integrity, we wouldn't have gotten the cover art and title. Your Bavarian contempt of the English really came in handy.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I'm still proud of the way They Don't Know originally won its round before Herr Clouseau got on the case. Against all the odds it fought tooth and nail on its way to glory.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Really great work Doc. The nomination process was a great way to hear new music and hear some familiar tunes with fresh ears. The voting process was a great way to complain incessantly in a very low stakes contest. Your final result to expand the album to a double disc set makes for a really strong, varied musical experience from what I can see. These really are enjoyable exercises, even if we tend to get a little talked out by the final rounds.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

This is awesome. Thank you, Doc! Can't wait to give it a listen.,
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M