Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Beatles - Side A - Round 6

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 7:05am
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 6:57am
Don't Give Me No Lip, with its "pushing and shoving" section is probably responsible for the invention of the mosh pit via the Pistols cover when the audience took it as a cue to push and shove each other.
Nah moshing came well after the demise of the Pistols. From memory of going to gigs of the early UK punk bands I saw. It was pogoing which was great fun. Obviously there were punch ups sadly but moshing came later. Some of the most violent I ever witnessed was the Psychobilly band The Meteors. It was getting primal then and horrible. All the girls I knew were totally put off by all the macho bullshit. In the US it was definitely something that was part of the hardcore scene. Moshing was a load of shit really.
Fair to say that misunderstood footage of the pushin' aaaaand shovin' may have been an influence on the moshers though?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 7:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Don't Give Me No Lip, with its "pushing and shoving" section is probably responsible for the invention of the mosh pit via the Pistols cover when the audience took it as a cue to push and shove each other.
Nah moshing came well after the demise of the Pistols. From memory of going to gigs of the early UK punk bands I saw. It was pogoing which was great fun. Obviously there were punch ups sadly but moshing came later. Some of the most violent I ever witnessed was the Psychobilly band The Meteors. It was getting primal then and horrible. All the girls I knew were totally put off by all the macho bullshit. In the US it was definitely something that was part of the hardcore scene. Moshing was a load of shit really.
Fair to say that misunderstood footage of the pushin' aaaaand shovin' may have been an influence on the moshers though?
What footage are you referring to mate. The stuff in the Swindle movie where they are grapling?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 7:10am
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
What footage are you referring to mate. The stuff in the Swindle movie where they are grapling?
Hello,

Pogoing was great fun. Mosh pits were stupid and depressing - kind of pictured in Repo Man.

I've mentioned previously being at a Ramones show at Allen's in Scotia, NY (I think t was Scotia...) and there was a big sign behind the band "No Slam Dancing". I always liked that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 1:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 7:10am
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Hello,

Pogoing was great fun. Mosh pits were stupid and depressing - kind of pictured in Repo Man.

I've mentioned previously being at a Ramones show at Allen's in Scotia, NY (I think t was Scotia...) and there was a big sign behind the band "No Slam Dancing". I always liked that.
Yeah I agree. Punk was about expression and enjoyment and all welcome but slam dancing made it virtually impossible for girls to get involved in the fun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia