10 Oct 2020, 4:26pm
dave202 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 4:03pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 3:16pm
I'd be interested as long as And Your Bird Can Sing wins. :mrgreen:
I think you mean Tomorrow Never Knows or Strawberry Fields Forever.

But, hell yeah, I'm up for the challenge of trying to eliminate Beatles songs.
Eliminating is easy with eyes closed...
All Paul's songs and the ones Ringo sang on for starters.
You hate McCartney? Don't let the boss fellow hear you.
It's not that I hate McCartney, just that all my favourite ones seem to be Lennon's with few exceptions.
Same, but I still love Beatle Paul. Just an embarrassment of riches.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Beatles Ultimate Survivor Poll?

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 7:06pm
dave202 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
dave202 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 4:03pm

I think you mean Tomorrow Never Knows or Strawberry Fields Forever.

But, hell yeah, I'm up for the challenge of trying to eliminate Beatles songs.
It's not that I hate McCartney, just that all my favourite ones seem to be Lennon's with few exceptions.
Yeah, I remember trying to figure out my favorite 5 Beatles songs and I think it was 5 Johns last time. I’m sure I’d say different songs this time but still.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 7:06pm
dave202 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
dave202 wrote:

Yeah, I remember trying to figure out my favorite 5 Beatles songs and I think it was 5 Johns last time. I’m sure I’d say different songs this time but still.
One and two are firm as Heston's impacted colon. Three to five are rolling one of those insane D & D dies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

As songwriters, Macca and Lennon are roughly neck and neck in my opinion, with Lennon shading it maybe 58/42 in percentage terms. A poll may throw up some interesting results,
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 7:54pm
As songwriters, Macca and Lennon are roughly neck and neck in my opinion, with Lennon shading it maybe 58/42 in percentage terms. A poll may throw up some interesting results,
I'd say Lennon's best outweighs McCartney's best, but McCartney was more consistently wow than Lennon. By focusing on the exceptional, we end up leaning to Lennon by politely ignoring stuff like "Revolution 9" or "Mr. Kite." McCartney just didn't have as much yeesh.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Two songs I hope will do well that never get much praise. Martha My Dear and Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 8:56pm
Two songs I hope will do well that never get much praise. Martha My Dear and Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da.
Ob-La is one that I’m confused as to why it gets dumped on. It's silly, but McC wrote lots of silly ones that aren't hated. Too much dismissal of Paul songs come from being jaundiced (and I fully admit that I can succumb to that).

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 9:27pm
Heston wrote:
Ob-La is one that I’m confused as to why it gets dumped on. It's silly, but McC wrote lots of silly ones that aren't hated. Too much dismissal of Paul songs come from being jaundiced (and I fully admit that I can succumb to that).
Ob-La is neither a great song nor a terrible one, and I never once got why it’s despised.

Of course, I actually like Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, so who am I to say?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Its sheer energy gets a pass from me. Lennon was reportedly not interested in the song but he sings along on those choruses with glee. And all the strange noises in the background are great fun.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 9:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Its sheer energy gets a pass from me. Lennon was reportedly not interested in the song but he sings along on those choruses with glee. And all the strange noises in the background are great fun.
Isn’t there a story that John came drunkenly into the studio, told him the song wasn’t working as arranged and told him exactly what to do to fix it? And Paul realized, to his chagrin, that John was right?

Or am I misremembering this? (Equally likely, as I am also drunk)

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 9:52pm
Heston wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 9:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Isn’t there a story that John came drunkenly into the studio, told him the song wasn’t working as arranged and told him exactly what to do to fix it? And Paul realized, to his chagrin, that John was right?

Or am I misremembering this? (Equally likely, as I am also drunk)
Yes, I think Lennon madly bashed out the intro on piano and led them into a much faster version than they'd been playing.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I am ready to go to war for Honey Pie.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

How are we doing the medley on side two of Abbey Road? Those individual songs are weird half-sketches mostly , but I love most of that side as a single track that’s just a tremendous outpouring of ideas (kind of like "B-Boy Bouillabaisse")

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 1:57am
How are we doing the medley on side two of Abbey Road? Those individual songs are weird half-sketches mostly , but I love most of that side as a single track that’s just a tremendous outpouring of ideas (kind of like "B-Boy Bouillabaisse")
I was just thinking about this. My initial thought was to go by the official track listing. Some definitely are weird half-sketches, but I think some of tracks work well as standalone tracks (You Never Give Me Your Money). I wonder if we could break it up into thematic parts?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Inder wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 12:00am
I am ready to go to war for Honey Pie.
Could we please get a subgroup for this poll?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble