Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 4:45pm
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 3:54pm
Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 2:29pm
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 9:53am
Boys kinda rocks. It's a shame there is such drummer jealousy on this board that it'll be the first to go. I've only heard Standing before, so I need some time with these.
I think the board hates bass more than drums.
Is there anything drum related that is obnoxious as bad bass slapping?
Rototoms maybe. A gong.
The loudness of them. If the song hasn't started do not touch your fucking drums.
Yeah, that's fair.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Beatles Survivor Poll - Please Please Me Side A

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 5:06pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 9:53am
Boys kinda rocks. It's a shame there is such drummer jealousy on this board that it'll be the first to go. I've only heard Standing before, so I need some time with these.
Rototoms maybe. A gong.
The loudness of them. If the song hasn't started do not touch your fucking drums.
The drummer in my last band used to practice to himself while the rest of us were talking. Annoying as hell. Also, I would start playing a bassline before rehearsal, and he would play something completely different on the drums so I had to stop playing. Annoying as hell.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 5:51pm
Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 5:06pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:

Rototoms maybe. A gong.
The drummer in my last band used to practice to himself while the rest of us were talking. Annoying as hell. Also, I would start playing a bassline before rehearsal, and he would play something completely different on the drums so I had to stop playing. Annoying as hell.
I make a concerted effort not to play anything between songs at rehearsals unless I'm showing someone an idea. I try to make others follow suit but it's like pissing in the wind. But when the drums start clattering no one can communicate. It is a very anti-social instrument, maybe that's why all drummers are sociopaths.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

I posted it somewhere the other day but I love the line "the bass man he don't cop for no glamour" in Na Na Na by Cozy Powell.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 6:20pm
It is a very anti-social instrument, maybe that's why all drummers are sociopaths.
What's funny is that everything I've read (note: profound non-musician typing here) is that it's the drummer who represents community in the sound. The rhythm is what unites everyone, performer and audience alike. It's the other parts of the band who have the potential of being individualist and discordant. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works best when a balance of community and individual is achieved.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 6:53pm
Heston wrote:
It is a very anti-social instrument, maybe that's why all drummers are sociopaths.
What's funny is that everything I've read (note: profound non-musician typing here) is that it's the drummer who represents community in the sound. The rhythm is what unites everyone, performer and audience alike. It's the other parts of the band who have the potential of being individualist and discordant. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works best when a balance of community and individual is achieved.)
Whoever wrote that never leaned over to pick a drink up while the drummer hit a cymbal two inches from his ear.

Heston

Post by Heston »

By the way, I'm just having some friendly ribaldry here, I love all musicians except him from Swans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Whoever wrote that never leaned over to pick a drink up while the drummer hit a cymbal two inches from his ear.
:lol:
Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 7:01pm
By the way, I'm just having some friendly ribaldry here, I love all musicians except him from Swans.
:sad:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 7:03pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm not clicking on it. I've done my time in hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 7:03pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm not clicking on it. I've done my time in hell.
You're just saying that for the audience. We both know you've eagerly absorbed the glory of "Coward." :kiss: