44%
"What You're Doing"
44%

Total votes: 16

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Beatles for Sale - Side B - Round 5

Post by WestwayKid »

"I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" was eliminated in the prior round. I love all 3 tracks remaining, so gonna be a tough one for me.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Beatles for Sale - Side B - Round 5

Post by Inder »

I love What You're Doing, but I love Every Little Thing a bit more.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 11:28am
I love What You're Doing, but I love Every Little Thing a bit more.
Same here but the other way round.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Eight Days a Week is tops for me, so it's down to deciding between the other 2 tracks. Listening right now.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 11:50am
Eight Days a Week is tops for me, so it's down to deciding between the other 2 tracks. Listening right now.
I've read that a lot of people think Eight Days was a quite a dip in quality for them in terms of their string of winning singles, but I don't hear it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

It’s super close but I’m ending up agreeing with Inder. Either way Eight Days is my final winner by a large margin.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I'm very surprised at Every Little Thing, that's a "skip" song for me, WYD has that awesome Byrdsy riff, but better than the Byrds.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 1:30pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I've read that a lot of people think Eight Days was a quite a dip in quality for them in terms of their string of winning singles, but I don't hear it.
If it's a dip—which I disagree it is—it's only because people expect so much from the Beatles. How many bands would have killed to record something like that?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 3:27pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
If it's a dip—which I disagree it is—it's only because people expect so much from the Beatles. How many bands would have killed to record something like that?
Yeah. The biggest problem is that they were following a Hard Day’s Night and the singles therein.

I think 8 Days is handily equal in quality to most of that, mind you.

I do think For Sale in general is less inspired and more “tired” and too reliant on covers, but when one looks at what passed for rock LPs before the Beatles, it’s still a damn fine record.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Eight Days a Week was never a single in the UK which just goes to show the riches they were blessed with.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah. The biggest problem is that they were following a Hard Day’s Night and the singles therein.

I do think For Sale in general is less inspired and more “tired” and too reliant on covers, but when one looks at what passed for rock LPs before the Beatles, it’s still a damn fine record.
Add in the insane schedule that they operated under. Record, tour, tour, tour (with endless interviews), a week or so vacation, record, tour, tour, tour, etc. The presumption was still that rock n roll was a fad that would burn itself out, so ride that horse until it dies, and the Beatles were ridden to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. And yet they not only didn't burn out, but developed the form within that environment. Hyperbole really doesn't enter into a discussion about what the Beatles accomplished.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 3:08pm
I'm very surprised at Every Little Thing, that's a "skip" song for me, WYD has that awesome Byrdsy riff, but better than the Byrds.
WYD is my pick. I'm not a fan of 8DAW. I mean musically it's good but I don't care for the lyrics.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 10:09pm
Wolter wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 8:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Add in the insane schedule that they operated under. Record, tour, tour, tour (with endless interviews), a week or so vacation, record, tour, tour, tour, etc. The presumption was still that rock n roll was a fad that would burn itself out, so ride that horse until it dies, and the Beatles were ridden to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. And yet they not only didn't burn out, but developed the form within that environment. Hyperbole really doesn't enter into a discussion about what the Beatles accomplished.
Oh yeah. Agree 100%. In fact I probably should’ve elaborated on that to begin with.