Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 11:28am
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 10:16am
Wolter wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 7:07pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 4:14pm

I just listened to it again. I feel that if it had been left as an acoustic song it would have been far better.
I checked and yes. Significantly better.
It's a sad, melancholic song and George Martin's string arrangement turns McCartney's sadness and regret into maudlin schlock.
I'm not sure blaming it all or even mostly on Martin is fair. Left to his own devices, McCartney has demonstrated a great fondness for maudlin schlock. Perhaps Martin's crime is supporting that awful tendency in Paul.
You're probably right. I'm sure Paul didn't require that much prodding. According to Ian MacDonald, McCartney was initially skeptical about adding strings to the song, stating he didn't want to sound like Mantovani, but soon became very engaged in arranging the string arrangement.
That song belongs to yesterday. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Help! - Side B - Round 2

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 6:34am
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 11:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 11:28am
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 10:16am
Wolter wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 7:07pm

I checked and yes. Significantly better.
It's a sad, melancholic song and George Martin's string arrangement turns McCartney's sadness and regret into maudlin schlock.
I'm not sure blaming it all or even mostly on Martin is fair. Left to his own devices, McCartney has demonstrated a great fondness for maudlin schlock. Perhaps Martin's crime is supporting that awful tendency in Paul.
You're probably right. I'm sure Paul didn't require that much prodding. According to Ian MacDonald, McCartney was initially skeptical about adding strings to the song, stating he didn't want to sound like Mantovani, but soon became very engaged in arranging the string arrangement.
That song belongs to yesterday. :shifty:
It's got a catchy enough tune. You know, some things just stick in your mind ;).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble