30%

Total votes: 10

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Past Masters 1 - Side B - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 10:59am
You've heard one Beatle you've heard them all. ;)
A few years ago, in my rock seminar, I had a pretty smart student—or perhaps clever is better; he was a solid bullshit artist—who told me that he didn't like the Beatles because all the songs sound the same. I asked him if he thought "Please Please Me" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" sounded alike and he said, with no pause, "Yeah, pretty much." I kind of admired the lack of hesitation in his bullshit reply.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Songs don't necessarily sound the same and obviously they were constantly progressing musically. But vocally they are distinctly The Beatles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 12:38pm
Songs don't necessarily sound the same and obviously they were constantly progressing musically. But vocally they are distinctly The Beatles.
:hmm: If you use your imagination and eliminate what doesn't work, I guess I look like Paul Newman.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
:hmm: If you use your imagination and eliminate what doesn't work, I guess I look like Paul Newman.
So you don't instantly hear a Beatles song and think as soon as they sing "Hey The Beatles". A million mersey beat groups just turned in their graves.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
So you don't instantly hear a Beatles song and think as soon as they sing "Hey The Beatles". A million mersey beat groups just turned in their graves.
No, I'm saying that it's crazy to say all Beatles songs sound the same because they have the same singers. In the same way that "Anarchy in the UK" and "Careering" are meaningfully similar just because they have the same singer.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
No, I'm saying that it's crazy to say all Beatles songs sound the same because they have the same singers. In the same way that "Anarchy in the UK" and "Careering" are meaningfully similar just because they have the same singer.
Go back and read the first line of my post and I say exactly that the songs don't necessarily sound the same. But Lennon like Lydon has one of the most recognisable vocals in rock n roll (music). I grew up listening to The Beatles I had listened to them more than any other band up 'til punk rock peered over the horizon. I could spot a Beatles song at 40 paces. You got the pop sound followed by the psychedelic phase then the rock phase. Any of those periods are instantly recognisable by the vocals. No matter how different the music is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Go back and read the first line of my post and I say exactly that the songs don't necessarily sound the same. But Lennon like Lydon has one of the most recognisable vocals in rock n roll (music). I grew up listening to The Beatles I had listened to them more than any other band up 'til punk rock peered over the horizon. I could spot a Beatles song at 40 paces. You got the pop sound followed by the psychedelic phase then the rock phase. Any of those periods are instantly recognisable by the vocals. No matter how different the music is.
Well, then you're working against the original thrust of my anecdote—that a student said all Beatles songs sound the same (which is why he thought they were overrated).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, then you're working against the original thrust of my anecdote—that a student said all Beatles songs sound the same (which is why he thought they were overrated).
Nope I'm not working against any anecdote. I wasn't agreeing with the student. I was merely stating that The Beatles being The Beatles sound like The Beatles and no one else. I don't agree with the student that all their songs sound the same as they cleary don't. My comment to Heston in the post before your student anecdote was about the band being Liverpudlians and scousers have a very distinct accent. Hence all the imitators.

Maybe it's because you're not English that you don't grasp this humour. To an outsider all Scousers sound the same. All Geordies sound the same. But to those people who live in those cities there are lots of variants on those accents. I guess it like The Beatles in the Yellow Submarine movie being voiced by actors or even The Rutles movie those voice imitations are what stick.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Nope I'm not working against any anecdote. I wasn't agreeing with the student. I was merely stating that The Beatles being The Beatles sound like The Beatles and no one else. I don't agree with the student that all their songs sound the same as they cleary don't. My comment to Heston in the post before your student anecdote was about the band being Liverpudlians and scousers have a very distinct accent. Hence all the imitators.

Maybe it's because you're not English that you don't grasp this humour. To an outsider all Scousers sound the same. All Geordies sound the same. But to those people who live in those cities there are lots of variants on those accents. I guess it like The Beatles in the Yellow Submarine movie being voiced by actors or even The Rutles movie those voice imitations are what stick.
Okay, I see, you were also kind of working at Heston, too, in your reply, so we were kind of talking past each other.

But in answer you your second paragraph, all English people sound like Dick Van Dyke. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 2:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Okay, I see, you were also kind of working at Heston, too, in your reply, so we were kind of talking past each other.

But in answer you your second paragraph, all English people sound like Dick Van Dyke. :shifty:
Well I sound like the Artful Dodger. I can't stop and chat as I've got some chimneys to sweep.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 7:42pm
Inder wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 7:35pm
I'm Down is great :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:
It's just some fucker shouting for 2 minutes.
I just read that they recorded I've Just Seen a Face, I'm Down and Yesterday in that order on the same day. Holy wow.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 5:39pm
Heston wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 7:42pm
Inder wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 7:35pm
I'm Down is great :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:
It's just some fucker shouting for 2 minutes.
I just read that they recorded I've Just Seen a Face, I'm Down and Yesterday in that order on the same day. Holy wow.
Yeah I read that. It's nuts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia