17%
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
17%

Total votes: 18

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Revolver - Side B - Round 2

Post by WestwayKid »

Paul's "The Lovin' Spoonful" cover goes out in the opening round... ;) :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Revolver - Side B - Round 2

Post by Heston »

I'm going with TNK this round.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:31pm
I hope you spill your super noodles on the carpet.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:44pm
Heston wrote:
Despite kind of liking it, I evened out his vote by aiming for GTGYIML. Because, as I’ve said earlier today, I like every song on this album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Despite kind of liking it, I evened out his vote by aiming for GTGYIML. Because, as I’ve said earlier today, I like every song on this album.
The only song that is truly skippable for me is "Love You To." I can critique and rank the others but, c'mon, a person deserves a fishbat to the head for not being blown away by this album.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:49pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The only song that is truly skippable for me is "Love You To." I can critique and rank the others but, c'mon, a person deserves a fishbat to the head for not being blown away by this album.
Revolver is a really strong album. There are a few songs I don't like as much, but there is not a bad song on the entire LP. The leap from Rubber Soul to Revolver is astounding.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
Heston's gonna Heston.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I want to tell you, you is on the wrong album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Revolver is a really strong album. There are a few songs I don't like as much, but there is not a bad song on the entire LP. The leap from Rubber Soul to Revolver is astounding.
It really is. It's the sound of the 1960s becoming The Sixties™. Not for nothing did Mad Men use it to signal that change.

(Heston is totally Don, turning TNK off in the middle.)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yeah they were an extremely privileged band. They were allowed to be completely inventive in the studio and the pay off was musical genius.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 3:03pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It really is. It's the sound of the 1960s becoming The Sixties™. Not for nothing did Mad Men use it to signal that change.

I LOVE this scene! It was perfectly realized.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 3:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's also set up earlier in the episode where someone pitches an ad campaign idea and Don tells them to find some Beatles type of band to do the music—some kind of "yeah yeah yeah" song. That's what Don understands the Beatles as—easy to classify teeny-bopper stuff, you've heard one, you've heard them all. So he can't understand TNK as either a Beatles song or popular music. He's already a creature of the 50s, but now he's really being left behind. His entire way of life is based on a belief that he understands people better than they know themselves. This is a huge red flag that what he thinks he knows is becoming outdated. So he's contemptuous. It really is a spectacular illustration of before and after.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's also set up earlier in the episode where someone pitches an ad campaign idea and Don tells them to find some Beatles type of band to do the music—some kind of "yeah yeah yeah" song. That's what Don understands the Beatles as—easy to classify teeny-bopper stuff, you've heard one, you've heard them all. So he can't understand TNK as either a Beatles song or popular music. He's already a creature of the 50s, but now he's really being left behind. His entire way of life is based on a belief that he understands people better than they know themselves. This is a huge red flag that what he thinks he knows is becoming outdated. So he's contemptuous. It really is a spectacular illustration of before and after.
One of the best scenes I’ve seen on tv ever.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Fun fact Alexis Bledel (the one who draws the heart) is actually Pete’s real life wife. I didn’t know that when I watched the episode.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 4:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

One of the best scenes I’ve seen on tv ever.
On a series that had so many of those perfect scenes. I honestly believe it is the best tv drama of all time.