47%

Total votes: 17

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Revolver - Side B - Round 5

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 9:59pm
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. By all accounts the sound of A Day In the Life blew people's minds back then. I haven't heard many records pre 1967 that sound like it.
It appealed to music critics more than hippies and other cool kids. Everyone had to take it seriously because it was the Beatles, but it was something that proved their significance to older doubters. It's great artistry, definitely, but it's about legitimizing rock to those who were skeptical before.
TNK and ADITL both use "musique concrete" methods, which were uncommon in pop music before then, but not unheard of. My point was ADITL did it with some interesting musical aspects rather than the drone that is TNK.
I just don't hear musique concrete in ADITL. The sound effects are slight and not in the least bit jarring. But, again, I'm not denying the significance of ADITL. It builds on approaches used in ER, but it is massive in listener experience and scope. ADITL is headphone music and it amps up the tension. It's the sound of a pop band claiming to be more than just the distraction of conventional rock n roll (in that way, yes, like TNK). But what's important here—and what I've been trying to stress—is who they were making this claim to. The cool kids in the counterculture weren't the ones drawn to ADITL (Lucy in the Sky, Mr. Kite, sure). But ADITL or She's Leaving Home were for a different, more mature audience. It shouldn't diminish the technical achievement, but we have to be honest about who would have been impressed by what.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Not to "get involved" here, but I'd hardly call Day in the Life a strings song in the same sense as Yesterday or ER — the orchestra is only there during the two breaks, doing an atonal thing that climbs up to a certain note. The band had each player work up to the note over however many bars at their own pace (and cut some takes short because they were getting too in sync, I believe), which is a significant departure from George Martin writing a precise score for a quartet.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 8:59pm
Wolter wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 8:54pm
I just want to add I despise Hey Jude with every fiber of my being and if it’s a fucking finalist this board should disband itself for the good of society.
That's how I feel about Let It Be.
I’m not too fond of that one either.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I like enough of their songs afterwards, but I think it would have been fine if the beatles stopped recording after the white album (or after beatles for sale :shifty: )
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:02am
I like enough of their songs afterwards, but I think it would have been fine if the beatles stopped recording after the white album (or after beatles for sale :shifty: )
Now, see, I love Abbey Road. Do not like the Let It Be album in any iteration.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:05am
Abbey Road would make a great EP, you could lose most of the b side tho.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:07am
Wolter wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:05am
Abbey Road would make a great EP, you could lose most of the b side tho.
Cheerfully disagree!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:39am
Cheerfully disagree!
needed more ska, imho

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:51am
Wolter wrote:
20 Dec 2020, 12:39am
Cheerfully disagree!
needed more ska, imho
Cheerfully agree!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 10:57pm
Not to "get involved" here, but I'd hardly call Day in the Life a strings song in the same sense as Yesterday or ER — the orchestra is only there during the two breaks, doing an atonal thing that climbs up to a certain note. The band had each player work up to the note over however many bars at their own pace (and cut some takes short because they were getting too in sync, I believe), which is a significant departure from George Martin writing a precise score for a quartet.
The whole argument regards to Y and ER using strings and being similar is missing the whole point of how the strings were recorded.

Yesterday has strings and guitar and is a much more traditional approach to recording.

On ER those strings were recorded using mike's barely inches from the two string quartets. Those strings on ER are much harsher and biting and never been heard on a pop song like this before. Plus there is only Paul on vocal and nothing else.

That's forward thinking using an old idea. Doc says nothing revolutionary about using orchestral instruments that is true but no less than TNK using guitars/drums etc. It's about how those instruments are used.

Also I will add for all the credit The Beatles get for TNK you have to doff your cap to Ron Grainer/Delia Derbyshire and the BBC workshop for stuff like the Dr. Who theme.

I wish that Delia had done the backing to Y as had been said.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia