No votes

Total votes: 20

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Pepper - Side B - Round 1

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:25pm
I'm changing my mind. I'm placing The White Album ahead of MMT as my favourite (especially after that recent remaster). I love even the weirdo McCartney songs like "Rocky (Olaf) Racoon" and "Honey Pie." It's my favourite McCartney Beatles record without a doubt. Really, the only thing I can't stand is the very last track, Lennon/Ringo's schmaltzy "Good Night."
MMT isn't a proper album anyway. I thought we were rightly going by British releases here?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm changing my mind. I'm placing The White Album ahead of MMT as my favourite (especially after that recent remaster). I love even the weirdo McCartney songs like "Rocky (Olaf) Racoon" and "Honey Pie." It's my favourite McCartney Beatles record without a doubt. Really, the only thing I can't stand is the very last track, Lennon/Ringo's schmaltzy "Good Night."
That might be too tough a call for me. The EP was one of the first singles I ever owned.
The padded out album comp has some damn fine tracks.

Magical Mystery Tour
The Fool On The Hill
I Am The Walrus
Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That might be too tough a call for me. The EP was one of the first singles I ever owned.

Magical Mystery Tour
The Fool On The Hill
I Am The Walrus
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love
The album version of MMT has songs recorded before Pepper and songs recorded after it. There is no way it can be recognised as a normal studio album. It is a bit like the Clash debut US version.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
MMT isn't a proper album anyway. I thought we were rightly going by British releases here?
I've always referred to it as a faux album, but I encountered it as a full-on record and, really, "Penny Lane" is the only one I don't care for, so I can't deny it. And it captures the group's most fertile period. It's all the best parts of Revolver and Pepper with little of the groan-worthy stuff.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:51pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've always referred to it as a faux album, but I encountered it as a full-on record and, really, "Penny Lane" is the only one I don't care for, so I can't deny it. And it captures the group's most fertile period. It's all the best parts of Revolver and Pepper with little of the groan-worthy stuff.
But still has songs recorded either side of Pepper, not really canon for me. Hard to pitch it against their other albums.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not a fan of "Your Mother Should Know" again it's Macca with his old time stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Magical Mystery Tour
The Fool On The Hill
I Am The Walrus
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love
The album version of MMT has songs recorded before Pepper and songs recorded after it. There is no way it can be recognised as a normal studio album. It is a bit like the Clash debut US version.
I don't know those songs all fit together pretty well unlike The Clash US. ;) But yes technically not an official studio album. A soundtrack of course just like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. Anyway oompah oompah stick it up yer jumper!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 10:01pm
Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Magical Mystery Tour
The Fool On The Hill
I Am The Walrus
Penny Lane
All You Need Is Love
I don't know those songs all fit together pretty well unlike The Clash US. ;) But yes technically not an official studio album. A soundtrack of course just like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. Anyway oompah oompah stick it up yer jumper!
Great songs. Great comp.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 9:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But still has songs recorded either side of Pepper, not really canon for me. Hard to pitch it against their other albums.
Seems a weird hill to die on, rejecting the record that has arguably their greatest moment, SFF.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Also, the beatles camp considers it one of the canon main albums - it's been in all their reissues and such and it's referred to as a "core album". Seems fine to include for consideration.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
It’s definitely the best McCartney Beatles for me as well. It’s a mess, but mostly a charming one.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 11:33pm
Also, the beatles camp considers it one of the canon main albums - it's been in all their reissues and such and it's referred to as a "core album". Seems fine to include for consideration.
Yeah, I’m gonna go with the evergreen “Heston is wrong” defense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Edit: Never mind

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Within You Without You has a lovely sentiment and some nice lyrics. 😎

I will again plug this, for those who haven't heard it (or haven't heard it recently) — play this loud through some decent speakers or headphones!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 4:50am
Within You Without You has a lovely sentiment and some nice lyrics. 😎

I will again plug this, for those who haven't heard it (or haven't heard it recently) — play this loud through some decent speakers or headphones!

It does maximize the virtues and lessen the weaker elements.