Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Poll ended at 24 Dec 2020, 11:18am

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
3
18%
"With a Little Help from My Friends"
3
18%
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
0
No votes
"Getting Better"
2
12%
"Fixing a Hole"
2
12%
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
7
41%
 
Total votes: 17

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12972
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Kory »

Voting Getting Better until it's gone because of its overplayed history in commercials.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92760
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:46pm
Voting Getting Better until it's gone because of its overplayed history in commercials.
I've come to hate The Turtles' "Happy Together" for the same reason. I can't hear it without thinking I need cookies, a new car, tampons, anti-anxiety drugs, and athlete's foot spray.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12972
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 2:01pm
Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:46pm
Voting Getting Better until it's gone because of its overplayed history in commercials.
I've come to hate The Turtles' "Happy Together" for the same reason. I can't hear it without thinking I need cookies, a new car, tampons, anti-anxiety drugs, and athlete's foot spray.
Yeah that's another big one, along with "Everyday People" by Sly, and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," by Stevie Wonder. I hate songs more if they were in a car commercial.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 54191
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 2:01pm
Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:46pm
Voting Getting Better until it's gone because of its overplayed history in commercials.
I've come to hate The Turtles' "Happy Together" for the same reason. I can't hear it without thinking I need cookies, a new car, tampons, anti-anxiety drugs, and athlete's foot spray.
I’m twitter friends with Howard Kalyan’s daughter, so I am glad yo know every time it plays her family makes like 0.000008 cents.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48668
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 2:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 2:01pm
Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:46pm
Voting Getting Better until it's gone because of its overplayed history in commercials.
I've come to hate The Turtles' "Happy Together" for the same reason. I can't hear it without thinking I need cookies, a new car, tampons, anti-anxiety drugs, and athlete's foot spray.
Yeah that's another big one, along with "Everyday People" by Sly, and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," by Stevie Wonder. I hate songs more if they were in a car commercial.
Stick this in any advert you like cause I ain't hating on it.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4471
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:16pm
I bloody Kite. In Liverpool, I saw a repro of the original Victorian circus poster that Lennon got the lyrics off and if it had been under a tenner I would have got the only Fab merch that I ever would have. The mood, sound, melody, and story of the song are one of the best things on Sgt Pepper.
Well said. The melody itself is fascinating, winding in and out like a serpent. George Martin's production work is some of his best ever, translating Lennon's wishes (it's been said that while Paul would be very precise about what he wanted, John was often far more vague) into something both whimsical and creepy.
Hard not to see that Lennon was a proponent of happy accidents.
I think his direction to Martin was that he "wanted to smell the sawdust" which I think Martin made happen (as he often did).

The angry Lennon of the early 70's had some unkind words for George Martin:

"[Dick James] is another one of those people, who think they made us. They didn't. I'd like to hear Dick James' music and I'd like to hear George Martin's music, please, just play me some."

"When people ask me questions about 'What did George Martin really do for you?,' I have only one answer, 'What does he do now?' I noticed you (Paul) had no answer for that! It's not a putdown, it's the truth."

But then a year later:

George Martin made us what we were in the studio. He helped us develop a language to talk to other musicians."
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4716
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by BitterTom »

WaLHFMF. It's good but the others are better.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 19453
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by JennyB »

Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92760
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:36pm
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 1:16pm
I bloody Kite. In Liverpool, I saw a repro of the original Victorian circus poster that Lennon got the lyrics off and if it had been under a tenner I would have got the only Fab merch that I ever would have. The mood, sound, melody, and story of the song are one of the best things on Sgt Pepper.
Well said. The melody itself is fascinating, winding in and out like a serpent. George Martin's production work is some of his best ever, translating Lennon's wishes (it's been said that while Paul would be very precise about what he wanted, John was often far more vague) into something both whimsical and creepy.
Hard not to see that Lennon was a proponent of happy accidents.
I think his direction to Martin was that he "wanted to smell the sawdust" which I think Martin made happen (as he often did).

The angry Lennon of the early 70's had some unkind words for George Martin:

"[Dick James] is another one of those people, who think they made us. They didn't. I'd like to hear Dick James' music and I'd like to hear George Martin's music, please, just play me some."

"When people ask me questions about 'What did George Martin really do for you?,' I have only one answer, 'What does he do now?' I noticed you (Paul) had no answer for that! It's not a putdown, it's the truth."

But then a year later:

George Martin made us what we were in the studio. He helped us develop a language to talk to other musicians."
Lennon interviews in the early 70s are like Joe interviews in 84/85. I vaguely recall him saying George petulantly told Paul and him, "My songs are as good as yours," to which John said, "Then why weren't they on the albums?" Just embarrassing bitterness.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92760
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:23pm
Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Unabashed, no. But it's one of the most ambitious songs on the album, one that comes closer to justifying the hype.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35405
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:26pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:23pm
Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Unabashed, no. But it's one of the most ambitious songs on the album, one that comes closer to justifying the hype.
Yeah taking circus music to a new dimension.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 19453
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:26pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:23pm
Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Unabashed, no. But it's one of the most ambitious songs on the album, one that comes closer to justifying the hype.
It's just so whimsical! Last time we were in Vegas, we say the Cirque de Soleil Love show and I really wanted to brush it off as cheese, but it was so good. And it made me really appreciate Kite.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92760
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:26pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:23pm
Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Unabashed, no. But it's one of the most ambitious songs on the album, one that comes closer to justifying the hype.
Yeah taking circus music to a new dimension.
Twisted childhood dimensions. I like twisted.
JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:29pm
It's just so whimsical! Last time we were in Vegas, we say the Cirque de Soleil Love show and I really wanted to brush it off as cheese, but it was so good. And it made me really appreciate Kite.
Superficially whimsical, I'd say. The whole thing sounds like a kaleidoscopic waking dream/nightmare to me. If Lucy is a beautifully revelatory acid trip, Kite is shit going scary.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 19453
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:32pm
Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:26pm
JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:23pm
Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Unabashed, no. But it's one of the most ambitious songs on the album, one that comes closer to justifying the hype.
Yeah taking circus music to a new dimension.
Twisted childhood dimensions. I like twisted.
JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:29pm
It's just so whimsical! Last time we were in Vegas, we say the Cirque de Soleil Love show and I really wanted to brush it off as cheese, but it was so good. And it made me really appreciate Kite.
Superficially whimsical, I'd say. The whole thing sounds like a kaleidoscopic waking dream/nightmare to me. If Lucy is a beautifully revelatory acid trip, Kite is shit going scary.
That's a perfect take.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4716
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Pepper - Side A - Round 2

Post by BitterTom »

JennyB wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 3:23pm
Am I the only one who is an unabashed Kite fan?
Nope, though it's not my favourite I enjoy the nightmarish feel to the song.

Really enjoying listening back to this album in particular.

Post Reply