38%
"Maggie Mae"
23%

Total votes: 13

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Let It Be - Side A - Round 1

Post by matedog »

I think Let It Be is the only song I've heard from this album. Other than Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wake up, Maggie, I think I got something to say to... wait a minute...
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 5:23pm
Other than Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe.
Bowie was kicking Across the Universe's ass around the same time he was kicking Hard to Be a Saint in the City's ass.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

matedog

Post by matedog »

Two of Us has some night tight parallel harmony. It's nice, pretty inoffensive.
Dig a Pony - Isn't this the Wonder Years song? I like how ragged it is.
Across the Universe - I like the underwater effect on the vocal. I wish they kept the strings off to maintain its scrappy feel.
I Me Mine - the refrain in the 3/4 section is lame. The rollicking hard rock part is a lot cooler.
Dig It - Sounds like a cool outro to a real song.
Let It Be - This is one of those big time classics. It's schmaltzy and self important, but it kinda sells it for me. Nice tone on the solo too. And Ringo's busy drums on the last verse are unexpected too.
Maggie Mae - Again, way more ragged and raucous than I had expected. It's fun, but I wish it was a real song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 5:44pm
matedog wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 5:23pm
Other than Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe.
Bowie was kicking Across the Universe's ass around the same time he was kicking Hard to Be a Saint in the City's ass.
This version is okay. I prefer Saint though.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I barely know this album. I listen to the Naked version way more often. Like once every two years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 6:22pm
I barely know this album. I listen to the Naked version way more often. Like once every two years.
Just listened to the Naked Across the Universe since I didn't like the strings on the regular version. Still not sure I like it better. It's got a four on the floor feel that feels a little rushed. I like it to be more languid and ethereal. Possibly because I know the Fiona Apple version first.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 6:30pm
Kory wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 6:22pm
Just listened to the Naked Across the Universe since I didn't like the strings on the regular version. Still not sure I like it better. It's got a four on the floor feel that feels a little rushed. I like it to be more languid and ethereal. Possibly because I know the Fiona Apple version first.
It doesn't quite fit with the rest of the album to my ears. Recorded in early 1968, I think it would be more at home on the White Album.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble