WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Take 2 - Semifinal - Let It Be

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:06pm
I've always felt that the final production on Across the Universe was shit. I've also always felt the lyrics represented Lennon at his hippy dippy worst. That said, I like the song.
I've always liked the ambiguity of "nothing's gonna change my world." Is that a statement of confidence and autonomy, or disillusionment of how the horrible weaknesses and evils will never be overcome? Who cares what Lennon might have meant, but it's a wonderful open question for the listener.
Yeah, I can see that. Even at his most drugged out and hippy dippy he was more interesting than many, many lyricists.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
I've always felt that the final production on Across the Universe was shit. I've also always felt the lyrics represented Lennon at his hippy dippy worst. That said, I like the song. I just like Get Back better. It's funky. The lyrics are silly, but they sound like a band. It's not an overdubbed mess. Go watch the rooftop version of Get Back: they're having fun. It rocks. Ringo is wearing a red raincoat. The original Get Back songs (before Spector messed them up) are a reminder that after everything...after Beatlemania and Sgt. Pepper and the Maharishi and Magic Alex and everything else...they were a great fucking band. Get Back has that feel.
This is what I'm getting at when I elevate Let It Be above the White Album. At least it sounds like a band playing. I disregard the Spector makeover and listen to Let It Be Naked. That's the version I value above the White Album
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 8:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I've always felt that the final production on Across the Universe was shit. I've also always felt the lyrics represented Lennon at his hippy dippy worst. That said, I like the song.
I've always liked the ambiguity of "nothing's gonna change my world." Is that a statement of confidence and autonomy, or disillusionment of how the horrible weaknesses and evils will never be overcome? Who cares what Lennon might have meant, but it's a wonderful open question for the listener.
Yeah, I can see that. Even at his most drugged out and hippy dippy he was more interesting than many, many lyricists.
A man of so many nasty demons, he was never well place to be a proper hippy dippy peacenik. It's his deep contradictions of ideals and failed behaviour—Joe was the same, but less ugly—that makes Lennon resonate. Those flaws are what makes the ideals more human, more than just sentiment.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft