6%
"Revolution" 
11%

Total votes: 18

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Final Round 9

Post by WestwayKid »

I was a bit surprised to see In My Life tossed out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Final Round 9

Post by Inder »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:00am
I was a bit surprised to see In My Life tossed out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sticking with AHDN.

Will Happiness continue to traumatize insane Geordies? That's the real story.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

There truly are no wrong answers at this stage. Except, of course, Happiness is A Warm Gun, which is a novelty song punching above its weight
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

More and more difficult for me, but I'm prepared to say goodbye to "Tomorrow Never Knows".
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:20am
There truly are no wrong answers at this stage. Except, of course, Happiness is A Warm Gun, which is a novelty song punching above its weight
What makes it a novelty song? Stuff like "Yellow Submarine" or "You Know My Name" can be dismissed as silly larks, but "Happiness," I think, should be appreciated for its ambitious construction of style and tone. Whether you think it succeeds is another matter, but it doesn't sound like something just tossed off.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:44am
Silent Majority wrote:
What makes it a novelty song? Stuff like "Yellow Submarine" or "You Know My Name" can be dismissed as silly larks, but "Happiness," I think, should be appreciated for its ambitious construction of style and tone. Whether you think it succeeds is another matter, but it doesn't sound like something just tossed off.
Oh, I'm indulging in a rare bit of trolling. It's just the song which works least for me out of what's there. I think the chorus is a bit cheesy, but the intro verses have a lovely coiled quality.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

For folks who would like to protect Happiness and TNK, might I suggest: A Hard Day's Night. A fine song, but from the earlier era my weight would go behind She Loves You, making AHDN a bit superfluous.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Happiness is also one of the better done numbers in that terrible movie.

(starts about 40 seconds in)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:44am
Silent Majority wrote:
Oh, I'm indulging in a rare bit of trolling. It's just the song which works least for me out of what's there. I think the chorus is a bit cheesy, but the intro verses have a lovely coiled quality.
You kids and your Instagram ricktrolling YOLO avocado hoo-ha!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:54am
For folks who would like to protect Happiness and TNK, might I suggest: A Hard Day's Night. A fine song, but from the earlier era my weight would go behind She Loves You, making AHDN a bit superfluous.
That's more or less my thinking. I'm not prepared to abandon all early period songs, and SLY is *the* Beatles song, 1963–1965. The energy and joy, sixty years later, is undiminished.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 11:01am
Flex wrote:
That's more or less my thinking. I'm not prepared to abandon all early period songs, and SLY is *the* Beatles song, 1963–1965. The energy and joy, sixty years later, is undiminished.
I agree with your latter statement but I don't vote tactically. I vote for my least favourite song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 11:01am
Flex wrote:
I agree with your latter statement but I don't vote tactically. I vote for my least favourite song.
95% of the time I don't vote tactically. In this case, it's a happy coincidence, rooted in my preference for mid and late period songs (i.e., of what remains, I'm least partial to AHDN). But I do seriously fucking love SLY.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

James, just remember you’re aligning yourself with rank Hestonism.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

This poll is going to end a lot sooner if this three way tie sticks.