Final Round 11

Post by WestwayKid »

5 songs remain and we're done!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Final Round 11

Post by Flex »

Fuck it, time for Strawberry Fields Forever to go. Let's slay a king.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"A Day in the Life." I thought it'd be an easier choice but I listened to it this weekend and the build-up of strings is incredibly anxiety-producing. Really effective sense of the walls closing in. Still, of the five remaining, I can probably generate the most reservations.

Don't get the voting against SFF, tho, save for some kind of principled(?) contrarianism. If that's the stance, why not go after it in the initial rounds and instead rally around "Your Mother Should Know"? Once the songs have made it this far, that kind of killing sacred cows seems daffy to me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Today I said goodbye to SFF.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Happiness Is A Warm Bye.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 3:04pm
"A Day in the Life." I thought it'd be an easier choice but I listened to it this weekend and the build-up of strings is incredibly anxiety-producing. Really effective sense of the walls closing in. Still, of the five remaining, I can probably generate the most reservations.

Don't get the voting against SFF, tho, save for some kind of principled(?) contrarianism. If that's the stance, why not go after it in the initial rounds and instead rally around "Your Mother Should Know"? Once the songs have made it this far, that kind of killing sacred cows seems daffy to me.
Well, for me, I'd probably reach to listen to any of the other remaining songs before SFF. I dunno if I'd go so far as to call it "overrated" exactly (as we've all said time and again, we're in the "these are all great" portion of the voting now) but I definitely don't find it as fun as these other tunes. Overexposure, maybe.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Also, it'd be fun for a rolling stone staff writer to see SFF get ousted and have an aneurysm

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:03pm
Also, it'd be fun for a rolling stone staff writer to see SFF get ousted and have an aneurysm
Okay, I can buy that completely. And, sure, personal preference is personal preference, tho (and perhaps this is just me) historical context and significance should factor in there, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2021, 2:55pm
Fuck it, time for Strawberry Fields Forever to go. Let's slay a king.
“You have selected “REGICIDE.” If you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, press 1.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2021, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 3:04pm

Well, for me, I'd probably reach to listen to any of the other remaining songs before SFF. I dunno if I'd go so far as to call it "overrated" exactly (as we've all said time and again, we're in the "these are all great" portion of the voting now) but I definitely don't find it as fun as these other tunes. Overexposure, maybe.
honestly same. It’s my personal least favorite of the remaining. It’s still very good. There are no bad ones.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

More lunacy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:07pm
Flex wrote:
Okay, I can buy that completely. And, sure, personal preference is personal preference, tho (and perhaps this is just me) historical context and significance should factor in there, too.
Well, we already voted off the TNK, which is the "historical significance" song I had slotted in for beatles-in-psych mode. I'd rather stake my chips on the pleasures of day in the life or happiness, historical power of she loves you, or political sincerity of revolution.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Well, we already voted off the TNK, which is the "historical significance" song I had slotted in for beatles-in-psych mode. I'd rather stake my chips on the pleasures of day in the life or happiness, historical power of she loves you, or political sincerity of revolution.
If the whole point of this was just to rubber stamp the historical importance of SFF, we’d be even more of a circle jerk than we already are.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:26pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
If the whole point of this was just to rubber stamp the historical importance of SFF, we’d be even more of a circle jerk than we already are.
We should do this voting stuff with the circle jerks next

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:27pm
Wolter wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:26pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
We should do this voting stuff with the circle jerks next
Ready to do my part as America’s #1 apologist for WÖNDERFUL.