Final Round 12

Final Round Death Match - Round 12

Poll ended at 05 May 2021, 3:36pm

"A Day in the Life"
1
7%
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
6
40%
"She Loves You"
2
13%
"Revolution" 
6
40%
 
Total votes: 15

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105719
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:49pm
As a joke! I mean, if these results actually caused a RS editor to have heart palpitations, sure, that'd be cool. But it's just us here, so giving the finger to those phantoms seems as lame as people who say they hate the Beatles because they're revered. Relying on those external cues are weird given that we're all supposed to be guided by individual preference and taste.
yeah, i was joking about the rolling stone thing too yesterday. slightly seriously for a moment, i think it's really lame that the assumption is anyone not voting for SFF is doing it out of some adolescent contrarianism and aren't "guided by individual preference and taste" as you say. I actually find it insulting.
Because for several rounds now, people have been talking about killing sacred cows, lame conventionality if we end up crowning SFF as champ, and the like! That's a statement not about the song's qualities but its status. If people want to make arguments about their choices irrespective of the song's status or how Boomer music writers regard it, cool, I'll respect that even if I disagree with the assessment. But citing status tells me something else altogether.
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks
Posts: 55244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:49pm
Wolter wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:44pm
Heston wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:27pm
Heston wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:23pm
I trust the board to pull this back in the remaining time we have left.
I threw in my vote (however reluctantly) to Revolution. One more gets a tie and re-run. Surely Crissdong can log in to help …
I have no alternative accounts despite what Gutterpoet, sorry, Wolter says.
If you look at that account, you can tell it's someone trolling me.
I thought that was Cretin's alt. :huh:
It might be!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks
Posts: 55244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:58pm
Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:49pm
As a joke! I mean, if these results actually caused a RS editor to have heart palpitations, sure, that'd be cool. But it's just us here, so giving the finger to those phantoms seems as lame as people who say they hate the Beatles because they're revered. Relying on those external cues are weird given that we're all supposed to be guided by individual preference and taste.
yeah, i was joking about the rolling stone thing too yesterday. slightly seriously for a moment, i think it's really lame that the assumption is anyone not voting for SFF is doing it out of some adolescent contrarianism and aren't "guided by individual preference and taste" as you say. I actually find it insulting.
Because for several rounds now, people have been talking about killing sacred cows, lame conventionality if we end up crowning SFF as champ, and the like! That's a statement not about the song's qualities but its status. If people want to make arguments about their choices irrespective of the song's status or how Boomer music writers regard it, cool, I'll respect that even if I disagree with the assessment. But citing status tells me something else altogether.
I have repeatedly said SFF is a good song but not my favorite.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 37684
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Heston »

And they draw level...this could go to the wire..
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15790
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:49pm
As a joke! I mean, if these results actually caused a RS editor to have heart palpitations, sure, that'd be cool. But it's just us here, so giving the finger to those phantoms seems as lame as people who say they hate the Beatles because they're revered. Relying on those external cues are weird given that we're all supposed to be guided by individual preference and taste.
yeah, i was joking about the rolling stone thing too yesterday. slightly seriously for a moment, i think it's really lame that the assumption is anyone not voting for SFF is doing it out of some adolescent contrarianism and aren't "guided by individual preference and taste" as you say. I actually find it insulting.
Not to speak for Doc, but I get the impression he's thinking more about lurkers rather than anyone who's actively stated they're dumping SFF. Although it does strike me as slightly odd that it was previously losing to Revolution by so wide a margin when I got the impression that it was a lock for the end title, based on conversations during the YS days. That may have been my skimmed impression only, though.
"Toto is OK." —Inder

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15790
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:01pm
And they draw level...this could go to the wire..
Now THERE'S a band. Wire!
"Toto is OK." —Inder

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks
Posts: 55244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Wolter »

I think part of the problem is you can say you’re voting to get rid of SFF - AS I’VE SAID, A GOOD SONG - without acknowledging that it’s a status quo favorite choice whether it’s your favorite or not. It doesn’t mean giving a finger to the system so much as not agreeing with consensus.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105719
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:58pm
Flex wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 1:49pm
As a joke! I mean, if these results actually caused a RS editor to have heart palpitations, sure, that'd be cool. But it's just us here, so giving the finger to those phantoms seems as lame as people who say they hate the Beatles because they're revered. Relying on those external cues are weird given that we're all supposed to be guided by individual preference and taste.
yeah, i was joking about the rolling stone thing too yesterday. slightly seriously for a moment, i think it's really lame that the assumption is anyone not voting for SFF is doing it out of some adolescent contrarianism and aren't "guided by individual preference and taste" as you say. I actually find it insulting.
Because for several rounds now, people have been talking about killing sacred cows, lame conventionality if we end up crowning SFF as champ, and the like! That's a statement not about the song's qualities but its status. If people want to make arguments about their choices irrespective of the song's status or how Boomer music writers regard it, cool, I'll respect that even if I disagree with the assessment. But citing status tells me something else altogether.
I have repeatedly said SFF is a good song but not my favorite.
You've also made comments about lame conventionality if people support it. I mean, being perfectly clear, I don't think anybody here dislikes SFF or any of the songs that made the final cut (well, maybe Heston and HiaWG). I can't stress enough that I have zilcho problem with anyone deciding that, okay, among what's left, they lean this direction or that. We've all been voting against songs we love. But making comments about a song's status suggests there's something more "political" in the choice.

edit: Further, to be clear, I'm not seeking to be personal in any of this, and unreservedly apologize if it's being received that way.
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105719
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:02pm
Heston wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:01pm
And they draw level...this could go to the wire..
Now THERE'S a band. Wire!
Be honest: Have you listened to their last album more than twice?
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks
Posts: 55244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Wolter »

This is sucking the joy out of this for me. I’m out. Have fun nitpicking this nonsense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15790
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:10pm
Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:02pm
Heston wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:01pm
And they draw level...this could go to the wire..
Now THERE'S a band. Wire!
Be honest: Have you listened to their last album more than twice?
Not only twice, but THRICE!

Really thinking about it, I think it's actually been five times. It's a so-so album, carried mostly by "Oklahoma" and maybe a couple others. You seem to be in the spot that I was at when the self-titled album came out, realizing that we wouldn't be getting anything groundbreaking ever again. I may be misremembering but it seemed that you were more lenient on them around that time.
"Toto is OK." —Inder

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105719
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Final Round 12

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:10pm
Kory wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:02pm
Heston wrote:
05 May 2021, 2:01pm
And they draw level...this could go to the wire..
Now THERE'S a band. Wire!
Be honest: Have you listened to their last album more than twice?
Not only twice, but THRICE!

Really thinking about it, I think it's actually been five times.
This admission really undercuts your "no sleep because life is about living" argument. :shifty:
It's a so-so album, carried mostly by "Oklahoma" and maybe a couple others. You seem to be in the spot that I was at when the self-titled album came out, realizing that we wouldn't be getting anything groundbreaking ever again. I may be misremembering but it seemed that you were more lenient on them around that time.
I do like that album, especially the noisier tracks like "Harpooned." Pair that record with Nocturnal Koreans, which was recorded at the same time, and it's a solid, if unspectacular collection. It seems more and more that it would have been a good place to stop. The non-Wire albums that Lewis and Simms have done demonstrate that there's still cool stuff in them, which kinda points in Newman's direction that he's in a Wire cul de sac. Yet their records still get generally positive reviews, which either means I'm just not their audience anymore (very possible) or that critics feel obliged to demonstrate their keen insight by praising Wire (where were they when Manscape came out?).
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

Post Reply