Final Round 12 - Let's do it again!

Final Round Death Match - Round 12 - Let's do it again!

Poll ended at 06 May 2021, 5:10pm

"A Day in the Life"
8%
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
38%
"She Loves You"
No votes
"Revolution" 
54%

Total votes: 13

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Final Round 12 - Let's do it again!

Post by WestwayKid »

"A Day in the Life"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"She Loves You"
"Revolution" 
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Final Round 12 - Let's do it again!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sticking to strategic voting, so I'm holding off to see what helps SFF. I'd prefer to vote out ADitL—of the four, it's the least compelling for me (tho those walls-closing-in strings are exceptional)—but I'm willing to go the strategic route to preserve my second-favourite Beatles song.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 5:34pm
Sticking to strategic voting, so I'm holding off to see what helps SFF. I'd prefer to vote out ADitL—of the four, it's the least compelling for me (tho those walls-closing-in strings are exceptional)—but I'm willing to go the strategic route to preserve my second-favourite Beatles song.
My prediction is ADitL wins it all.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 May 2021, 5:46pm
My prediction is ADitL wins it all.
I have zero idea where the smart money should go. ADitL seems the least distinctive to me—maybe that's not the right word, but it's all I've got right now—whereas the other options all represent various eras quite well (maybe not Revolution, but late period is a serious mish mosh, so who can say). Until I listened to it again this weekend, I think I was underselling what an emotional effect ADitL has, and it really is the most epic thing they did. But I don't think it's more compelling than the other choices.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Although I like SFF, I just think it's the the weaker of the remaining songs, so that's how I voted. Let's face it, almost all Beatles songs are great, with the exception on Revolution 9, there's just not enough weed to be smoked to make that 8:22 "song" listenable IMO.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 May 2021, 6:22pm
Although I like SFF, I just think it's the the weaker of the remaining songs, so that's how I voted. Let's face it, almost all Beatles songs are great, with the exception on Revolution 9, there's just not enough weed to be smoked to make that 8:22 "song" listenable IMO.
Unless "Good Night" is excised, Rev9 isn't the worst song on the White Album. (For what it's worth, I dig Rev9, tho it doesn't belong on a Beatles record.)

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 6:27pm
Sparky wrote:
Unless "Good Night" is excised, Rev9 isn't the worst song on the White Album. (For what it's worth, I dig Rev9, tho it doesn't belong on a Beatles record.)
I forgot about "Good Night", thanks for the reminder. But, I could listen to it all the way through if I had to (bound & gagged?), but I can't say that about "Rev9".
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 May 2021, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2021, 6:27pm
Sparky wrote:
I forgot about "Good Night", thanks for the reminder. But, I could listen to it all the way through if I had to (bound & gagged?), but I can't say that about "Rev9".
Regardless, those two at the end of side 4 pretty much guarantee most people don't listen to the album front to back, but stop at "Cry Baby Cry."

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Hard Day's Night was on TCM last night. It's dumb but cute. Being so far removed from that time period, I often forget how huge of an impact they had on music.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
07 May 2021, 9:47am
Hard Day's Night was on TCM last night. It's dumb but cute. Being so far removed from that time period, I often forget how huge of an impact they had on music.
Given their significance, it's amusing that AHDN was shot in black and white and before Sullivan because there was no certainty that the band would succeed in America. So it was both a strike-while-they're-still-popular thing, but don't invest too much into a group that might be finished at any moment.