Drum roll please... the final day / round of the Ultimate Beatles Poll 2020/21!!

The Final Round

Poll ended at 11 May 2021, 9:26am

Strawberry Fields Forever
35%
She Loves You
65%

Total votes: 17

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Drum roll please... the final day / round of the Ultimate Beatles Poll 2020/21!!

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
10 May 2021, 2:40pm
Heston wrote:
10 May 2021, 12:57pm
BitterTom wrote:
10 May 2021, 12:45pm
SFF for me, SLY is a beauty. Love the "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" at the finale, joining in with the last part of the chorus. Ends on a funny chord but overall I'd be happy to see it win.
G6 is not a funny chord. It is used a lot in rock/pop. The Clash used a few sixths in their time.
I can see it sounding funny to some. 6 is not the most consonant scale tone. I think 7 is a lot more common and relaxo for people.
There's tons of songs with that 6th ending, it's nearly become a cliche now. I'm just surprised it still jars with people.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: Drum roll please... the final day / round of the Ultimate Beatles Poll 2020/21!!

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2021, 2:52pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
SFF for me, SLY is a beauty. Love the "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" at the finale, joining in with the last part of the chorus. Ends on a funny chord but overall I'd be happy to see it win.
G6 is not a funny chord. It is used a lot in rock/pop. The Clash used a few sixths in their time.
I can see it sounding funny to some. 6 is not the most consonant scale tone. I think 7 is a lot more common and relaxo for people.
There's tons of songs with that 6th ending, it's nearly become a cliche now. I'm just surprised it still jars with people.
I must have been confusing it with And I Love Her, for some strange reason, blame tiredness. I remember you saying you liked that major chord to finish but just doesn't work for me.

She Loves You is pretty much perfect then, 'weird' ending resolved, and there's no harmonica either, always a plus.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
10 May 2021, 3:14pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I must have been confusing it with And I Love Her, for some strange reason, blame tiredness. I remember you saying you liked that major chord to finish but just doesn't work for me.

She Loves You is pretty much perfect then, 'weird' ending resolved, and there's no harmonica either, always a plus.
Ahhh, makes sense now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

for me, She Loves You is quite possibly the greatest song ever recorded by anyone anywhere. Powerful, easy to sing along with, great riff, great performances all around. With a top-level souind system, turned up VERY loud ..... Just sheer brilliance.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Heston

Post by Heston »

weller259 wrote:
10 May 2021, 4:22pm
for me, She Loves You is quite possibly the greatest song ever recorded by anyone anywhere. Powerful, easy to sing along with, great riff, great performances all around. With a top-level souind system, turned up VERY loud ..... Just sheer brilliance.
It is everything you describe. But SFF is just that bit better.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2021, 4:30pm
weller259 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd regard one as better than the other. They're so dissimilar in approach and purpose that it's hard to compare. How does one measure a rock n roll song against psychedelia?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2021, 6:36pm
Heston wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd regard one as better than the other. They're so dissimilar in approach and purpose that it's hard to compare. How does one measure a rock n roll song against psychedelia?
Not sure but I had to decide one was better than the other.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2021, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2021, 6:36pm
Heston wrote:
weller259 wrote:
Not sure but I had to decide one was better than the other.
Mine was preference rather than ideas of better. I straight-up prefer psychedelia to rock n roll, so with exemplary examples of both, I go with psychedelia.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I figured the final vote would be a lot closer, but assuming stability of the non-SFF voters from the past few rounds, everyone else went to SFF. I figured at least a few would have gone to support SLY.

I have another idea for a Survivor poll—much less intense in terms of time!—on the great albums of 1979, but if people are kinda burned out, I can sit on it for a few months.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Well done SFF, justice prevailed in the end. Thanks so much WWK for hosting this.

Bring on more survivor polls!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

I voted to keep SFF forever, although I would have preferred ADITL to make it to the finals. But now I have an excuse to put Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band back on my iPod to give it a fresh listen.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
People want resolution. It's in their nature.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2021, 10:44am
I figured the final vote would be a lot closer, but assuming stability of the non-SFF voters from the past few rounds, everyone else went to SFF. I figured at least a few would have gone to support SLY.

I have another idea for a Survivor poll—much less intense in terms of time!—on the great albums of 1979, but if people are kinda burned out, I can sit on it for a few months.
I'd be in for this, even though Supertramp is highly likely to win. Maybe a '78–'82 could extend the fun a bit more.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 May 2021, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd be in for this, even though Supertramp is highly likely to win. Maybe a '78–'82 could extend the fun a bit more.
My idea was that I'd come up with a list of albums that the community would think are worthy of consideration for the best album of '79 (so, no Supertramp; sorry HesTom). But that'd be a neat idea for other people to be responsible for, say, '76 to '82. At the end, we could merge the winners for the seven years.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well if it's specific to 1979, that's a slam dunk for me, London Calling of course!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung