No votes
Stiff Little Fingers, "Inflammable Material"
5%

Total votes: 21

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 1

Post by Kory »

After the Skids, I'm going to Elvis. I like the first two, but I could never get interested in Armed Forces.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 3:53pm
After the Skids, I'm going to Elvis. I like the first two, but I could never get interested in Armed Forces.
That's sacrilege man! AF is great album, give "Oliver's Army", "Accidents Will Happen", ("What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding? or "Party Girl" a fresh listen.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
17 May 2021, 4:49pm
Kory wrote:
That's sacrilege man! AF is great album, give "Oliver's Army", "Accidents Will Happen", ("What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding? or "Party Girl" a fresh listen.
Goon Squad. Yeah its probably my favorite EC.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'll try it again, but every time I put it on I wind up getting distracted by other stuff. How would you describe the album to somebody who hadn't heard it?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I seldom comment on these polls but Armed Forces is great. This was one of the first albums that were thought to be punk (yes, people at the time thought Elvis Costello was punk after the first two fast guitar albums) but expanded into pop territory - at least to my knowledge and my perception of people. Additionally, I think this album was released just after Elvis' drunk Ray Charles comments to add some controversy. Lyrically, people could really hear the anger and then to top it off with What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding was outstanding.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

gkbill wrote:
17 May 2021, 5:31pm
Hello,

I seldom comment on these polls but Armed Forces is great. This was one of the first albums that were thought to be punk (yes, people at the time thought Elvis Costello was punk after the first two fast guitar albums) but expanded into pop territory - at least to my knowledge and my perception of people. Additionally, I think this album was released just after Elvis' drunk Ray Charles comments to add some controversy. Lyrically, people could really hear the anger and then to top it off with What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding was outstanding.
It is indeed great. The production and arrangements are far more textured than on his first two releases. The wit and anger are still there, but musically I find it just far more interesting. Not a bad track on the entire LP.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 5:13pm
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'll try it again, but every time I put it on I wind up getting distracted by other stuff. How would you describe the album to somebody who hadn't heard it?
How would I describe it.....well, it's another direction for the band, the songs IMO were more complex melodies than MAIT & TYM, better musicianship I suppose . Like revbob stated, give "Goon Squad" a listen too. Hell, just listen to the entire album! :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Sparky wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:27pm
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
How would I describe it.....well, it's another direction for the band, the songs IMO were more complex melodies than MAIT & TYM, better musicianship I suppose . Like revbob stated, give "Goon Squad" a listen too. Hell, just listen to the entire album! :mrgreen:
I will, and maybe I'll pick up the 33 1/3 volume on it too, that can often give me an appreciation for albums that I didn't really rate before.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:57pm
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
I will, and maybe I'll pick up the 33 1/3 volume on it too, that can often give me an appreciation for albums that I didn't really rate before.
Oh, if that's what works for you:

Note: The book is fucking inane.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
That’s probably my favorite EC album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2021, 7:06pm
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Never say never...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kory wrote:

Never say never...
Be bold: Say never.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2021, 7:22pm
Kory wrote:
17 May 2021, 7:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Never say never...
Be bold: Say never.
A Journey to the end of taste? Am I to believe this is somehow critical of Ms. Dion?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2021, 9:35am
Heston wrote:
17 May 2021, 9:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2021, 8:57am
Heston wrote:
17 May 2021, 8:31am
The Slits don't make the cut for me.
Misogynist. :shifty:
We've gotten rid of them there Americans, it's the women next.
Make Music Great Again.
Styx?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
17 May 2021, 5:31pm
Hello,

You do know the "What's So Funny" is a cover version right?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia