Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2021, 3:50pm
Kory wrote:
25 May 2021, 3:47pm
Wolter wrote:
22 May 2021, 1:05am
Kory wrote:
21 May 2021, 9:49pm
I’m watching the Magazine reunion show right now and am sad they’ve been cut already. Definitely my favorite post-punk band.
Mine too. Probably my third favorite musical artist overall after the Clash and Bowie.
We have the exact same top 2. Magazine is in my top 5, but I'm too deep into the Smiths to let them drop from position #3.

I was glad that Magazine did the No Thyself album during the reunion. I thought it was a worthy addition to the canon, although I wish Barry Adamson had taken part in the recording process. Makes it a little harder to call it "Magazine" at that point.
I liked that record far more than I thought I would.
The reunion album is not often good. Slowdive pulled it off recently, too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 5

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
I’m watching the Magazine reunion show right now and am sad they’ve been cut already. Definitely my favorite post-punk band.
Mine too. Probably my third favorite musical artist overall after the Clash and Bowie.
We have the exact same top 2. Magazine is in my top 5, but I'm too deep into the Smiths to let them drop from position #3.

I was glad that Magazine did the No Thyself album during the reunion. I thought it was a worthy addition to the canon, although I wish Barry Adamson had taken part in the recording process. Makes it a little harder to call it "Magazine" at that point.
The P Furs' album from earlier this year was quite good, too. Just came out of nowhere and was among their better records.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

The P Furs' album from earlier this year was quite good, too. Just came out of nowhere and was among their better records.
I could never get into that band, even the classic stuff. How would you pitch them to somebody new?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I could never get into that band, even the classic stuff. How would you pitch them to somebody new?
The first 3 albums are great post punk. Then they made a couple of 80s pop albums. The fourth album was decent then the fifth way over produced but still a couple of decent songs. Then a slight return to form with the next two. Then last years album which was solid as doc says.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah. They acquitted themself well. I mainly only listen to the first three but it’s pretty good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah. They acquitted themself well. I mainly only listen to the first three but it’s pretty good.
I like the Peel sessions best of all. But those first three are class.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:59pm
Wolter wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I like the Peel sessions best of all. But those first three are class.
oh that too!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2021, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Marky's description is solid. Early records are right in the post-punk vein—the more warped pop than anti-pop style, leaning on the bass/dancey side of things—then gradually moving closer and closer to basic 80s pop. The most recent album doesn't sound like earlier stuff per se, but it eschews any kind of pop ambition.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft