Heston wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:34pm
Heston wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 3:09pm
If they weren't a bunch of pretty boys who really understood the importance of visuals, they wouldn't have separated themselves from the pack. Whatever their virtues musically, it was being pretty boys that made them.
I'm not convinced by that argument. OMD ploughed the same furrow with much success and they were ugly as sin.
OMD were way different throughout their first several albums. Dour, synth minimalism. They weren't playing to 13-year-old girls; OMD was for the Joy Division crowd.
I've just listened to the first DD album and it is downright weird in places. Yes, there's three poppy singles there but the rest of it seems anything but teeny bopper music. And let's face it, the first few OMD singles were anything but dour.
And yet, how did the fan base shake out? How come DD got screaming girls and OMD got mopey guys in long coats?
Hello,

Are we judging bands by their fans?

What does that say about the Clash?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 5

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
21 May 2021, 11:24pm
Hello,

What does that say about the Clash?
Depends on the fan. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
21 May 2021, 9:49pm
I’m watching the Magazine reunion show right now and am sad they’ve been cut already. Definitely my favorite post-punk band.
Mine too. Probably my third favorite musical artist overall after the Clash and Bowie.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
Only to the degree that DD was a band that marketed itself and cultivated a fanbase of primarily teenage girls. OMD's music and how they were marketed (and so their ideal fan) was notably different, at least in their early period.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2021, 6:19am
gkbill wrote:
Only to the degree that DD was a band that marketed itself and cultivated a fanbase of primarily teenage girls. OMD's music and how they were marketed (and so their ideal fan) was notably different, at least in their early period.
DD's first tour was in support of Hazel O'Connor, hardly the obvious teeny bop route.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2021, 6:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
DD's first tour was in support of Hazel O'Connor, hardly the obvious teeny bop route.
And when that didn't work...

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
22 May 2021, 7:02am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
I've read a couple of the DD autobiographies and I think they were actually quite shocked when they took off in that way. They genuinely never saw it coming. Maybe their management did though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 7:05pm
Heston wrote:
21 May 2021, 5:17pm
This is an OMD concert in 1985. Pause on any crowd shot and it is a total top 40 crowd, many of them girls.
1985 is key. They were in full Top 40 mode by then—Crush, "If You Leave," all that.
Hang on, you mentioned Dazzle Ships which was just 2 years before this. They were only 5 years into their chart career at this point, I can hear the sound of goalposts being moved.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2021, 7:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 7:05pm
Heston wrote:
21 May 2021, 5:17pm
This is an OMD concert in 1985. Pause on any crowd shot and it is a total top 40 crowd, many of them girls.
1985 is key. They were in full Top 40 mode by then—Crush, "If You Leave," all that.
Hang on, you mentioned Dazzle Ships which was just 2 years before this. They were only 5 years into their chart career at this point, I can hear the sound of goalposts being moved.
I'm not following. I'm saying that it wasn't until Crush, maybe Junk Culture, that they started gaining a more mainstream pop audience. Dazzle Ships was no way, no how meant for mass popularity.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2021, 7:07am
revbob wrote:
22 May 2021, 7:02am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
I've read a couple of the DD autobiographies and I think they were actually quite shocked when they took off in that way. They genuinely never saw it coming. Maybe their management did though.
They certainly didn't rebel against being packaged as pretty boys. I think it was Alex Cox who said that DD and NuRo bands were perfect for MTV because they spent most of their time looking at themselves in the mirror, fixing their hair, anyway.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2021, 10:33pm
Kory wrote:
I’m watching the Magazine reunion show right now and am sad they’ve been cut already. Definitely my favorite post-punk band.
I should like them more than I do. I think I'm not fully sold on Devoto's voice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's counterproductive.
I like it. You’ve got to make do with what you've got when you can’t actually sing. I’m in that boat myself.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2021, 4:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I should like them more than I do. I think I'm not fully sold on Devoto's voice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's counterproductive.
I like it. You’ve got to make do with what you've got when you can’t actually sing. I’m in that boat myself.
Mark E. Smith had an amazing career turning a conventionally awful voice into an asset.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2021, 4:22pm
Kory wrote:
22 May 2021, 4:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Mark E. Smith had an amazing career turning a conventionally awful voice into an asset.
And of course, I don't really like his voice. But yeah, that Devoto/Lydon/Smith axis that is admirable in many ways.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
22 May 2021, 1:05am
Kory wrote:
Mine too. Probably my third favorite musical artist overall after the Clash and Bowie.
We have the exact same top 2. Magazine is in my top 5, but I'm too deep into the Smiths to let them drop from position #3.

I was glad that Magazine did the No Thyself album during the reunion. I thought it was a worthy addition to the canon, although I wish Barry Adamson had taken part in the recording process. Makes it a little harder to call it "Magazine" at that point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 May 2021, 3:47pm
Wolter wrote:
22 May 2021, 1:05am
Kory wrote:
We have the exact same top 2. Magazine is in my top 5, but I'm too deep into the Smiths to let them drop from position #3.

I was glad that Magazine did the No Thyself album during the reunion. I thought it was a worthy addition to the canon, although I wish Barry Adamson had taken part in the recording process. Makes it a little harder to call it "Magazine" at that point.
I liked that record far more than I thought I would.