Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:47am
Sparky wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 8:35am
Well, well, well—another tie that I get to break. I’ll go with historical redress and pick Ireland over England, so goodbye to Weller et al and their Union Jackoffery. So, which album wants to be Buster Douglas going up against Mike Tyson tomorrow?
I can't believe Setting Sons was voted off. What's this world coming to? :disshame:
The Jam were a singles band. Excellent singles, yes, but the albums never did much for me. I didn't think it even merited inclusion in the top ten.
Hugely disagree. All their albums had weak spots but I put that more down to releasing loads of classic A and B sides that weren't on albums. I could easily name 30 great Jam songs that weren't singles.
I'm with Heston on this one.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, well, well—another tie that I get to break. I’ll go with historical redress and pick Ireland over England, so goodbye to Weller et al and their Union Jackoffery. So, which album wants to be Buster Douglas going up against Mike Tyson tomorrow?
I can't believe Setting Sons was voted off. What's this world coming to? :disshame:
The Jam were a singles band. Excellent singles, yes, but the albums never did much for me. I didn't think it even merited inclusion in the top ten.
I'll agree with this take, good job doc.

I'll vote out SLF this round for pro-Specials reasons I stated in one of the threads the other day.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 10:08am
Sparky wrote:
26 May 2021, 9:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think they were bigger for me because they weren't too popular in the states, therefore they were my own secret band that nobody knew about.
I get that. But, Heston's crazed muppetry aside, I maintain that it's the singles that people gush about. Nobody's got a boner for "The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong."
I have to side with Heston (as long as he's not hyping KISS). All bands, the Clash included, put out a song or three that just isn't up to what we would expect to hear from them, but the Jam is just a solid hit making machine IMO.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm being punk rock and voting for London Calling, my favourite and most listened to album. No Elvis, Pistols or the Ramones.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think they were bigger for me because they weren't too popular in the states, therefore they were my own secret band that nobody knew about.
I get that. But, Heston's crazed muppetry aside, I maintain that it's the singles that people gush about. Nobody's got a boner for "The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong."
It's the same with most bands. And you've deliberately picked a real clunker. I'll counter it with "To Be Someone" and "Ghosts", cited by many as their best song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I kinda agree with that, actually. Except for that last part.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I know I cant think of 30 great Jam songs off the top of my head. Im not saying there aren't but certainly couldn't name 30.

Also I voted Specials out.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 10:52am
I know I cant think of 30 great Jam songs off the top of my head. Im not saying there aren't but certainly couldn't name 30.

It's just a matter of taste really I suppose.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 10:57am
revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 10:52am

It's just a matter of taste really I suppose.
I like the Jam but likely couldn't name 30 songs period, good, bad, indifferent.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 10:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

It's the same with most bands. And you've deliberately picked a real clunker. I'll counter it with "To Be Someone" and "Ghosts", cited by many as their best song.
It was a test to see how Muppet you've gone. Thankfully, you passed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2021, 11:22am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I like that song.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
26 May 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I like that song.
It's a fantastic lyric but it is clunky.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 May 2021, 12:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I like that song.
Goddammit, Koruppet!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The best Jam album is still Greatest Hits and that's fine.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
26 May 2021, 1:03pm
The best Jam album is still Greatest Hits and that's fine.
No it has to be Snap! if we're talking compilations. Still the best comp ever for me by anyone.