Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Which album should go?

Poll ended at 27 May 2021, 8:35am

The Clash, "London Calling"
3
16%
The Specials, "The Specials"
4
21%
Stiff Little Fingers, "Inflammable Material"
12
63%
 
Total votes: 19

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 37682
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 May 2021, 5:25pm
Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 4:50pm
Wolter wrote:
26 May 2021, 4:43pm
My personal favorite Jam album is the CD version of Setting Sons that includes all of the non-album singles (a&b) released at that time
Yeah, their best era. They fired out some great b-sides over their career.
The live set from Newcastle 1980 from the Fire & Skill set is one of the best live recordings I've ever heard. Heavy on the Setting Sons/Sound Affects albums. They were hitting on all cylinders during that era.
Yep amazing. The footage from the gig is brutal how good they were.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105682
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This board being this board, this round's conversation has been dominated by the album/band just eliminated. Collectively, we could never survive a job interview. :disshame:
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 21018
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2021, 1:40pm
Flex wrote:
26 May 2021, 1:03pm
The best Jam album is still Greatest Hits and that's fine.
I have a compilation of Jam's greatest hits, supposedly chosen by Weller himself, and...I skip every other song. :disshame:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did we ever get that list of 30 f4om Heston?

Also BOOOO!!!! to those voting out SLF.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 37682
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:17pm
Did we ever get that list of 30 from Heston?
I'll make a playlist tomorrow, and I will enjoy doing it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 21018
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:17pm
Did we ever get that list of 30 from Heston?
I'll make a playlist tomorrow, and I will enjoy doing it.
Again Im not saying it isnt so, just want to see the list.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 37682
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:17pm
Did we ever get that list of 30 from Heston?
I'll make a playlist tomorrow, and I will enjoy doing it.
Again Im not saying it isnt so, just want to see the list.
I'd like to think there would be something there for you. This is a nice little challenge, I'll get something together.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 21018
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:35pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:28pm
Heston wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2021, 7:17pm
Did we ever get that list of 30 from Heston?
I'll make a playlist tomorrow, and I will enjoy doing it.
Again Im not saying it isnt so, just want to see the list.
I'd like to think there would be something there for you. This is a nice little challenge, I'll get something together.
Yeah, again I like them and welcome what you have to share.

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 7612
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Mimi »

Here's my Jam playlist
1. In the City
2. This is the Modern World
3. I Need You
4. All Mod Cons
5. To Be Someone
6. English Rose
7. A’ Bomb in Wardour Street
8. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
9. Burning Sky
10. Smithers Jones
11. The Eton Rifles
12. Strange Town
13. Thick as Thieves
14. Private Hell
15. Little Boy Soldiers
16. Wasteland
17. Pretty Green
18. Set the House Ablaze
19. Start!
20. That’s Entertainment
21. Boy About Town
22. Just Who is the 5 o’clock Hero
23. Town Called Malice
24. Tales From the Riverbank
25. Liza Radley
26. Funeral Pyre
27. Absolute Beginners

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105682
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Beat Surrender has to be there, Mimi. :naughty:
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 21018
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
27 May 2021, 9:31am
Here's my Jam playlist
1. In the City
2. This is the Modern World
3. I Need You
4. All Mod Cons
5. To Be Someone
6. English Rose
7. A’ Bomb in Wardour Street
8. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
9. Burning Sky
10. Smithers Jones
11. The Eton Rifles
12. Strange Town
13. Thick as Thieves
14. Private Hell
15. Little Boy Soldiers
16. Wasteland
17. Pretty Green
18. Set the House Ablaze
19. Start!
20. That’s Entertainment
21. Boy About Town
22. Just Who is the 5 o’clock Hero
23. Town Called Malice
24. Tales From the Riverbank
25. Liza Radley
26. Funeral Pyre
27. Absolute Beginners
That includes all the songs I like and more.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 17669
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: South Londoner in the Midlands.

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Silent Majority »

Mimi wrote:
27 May 2021, 9:31am
Here's my Jam playlist
1. In the City
2. This is the Modern World
3. I Need You
4. All Mod Cons
5. To Be Someone
6. English Rose
7. A’ Bomb in Wardour Street
8. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
9. Burning Sky
10. Smithers Jones
11. The Eton Rifles
12. Strange Town
13. Thick as Thieves
14. Private Hell
15. Little Boy Soldiers
16. Wasteland
17. Pretty Green
18. Set the House Ablaze
19. Start!
20. That’s Entertainment
21. Boy About Town
22. Just Who is the 5 o’clock Hero
23. Town Called Malice
24. Tales From the Riverbank
25. Liza Radley
26. Funeral Pyre
27. Absolute Beginners
Brilliant selection
I'm the all night drug prowling wolf
Who looks so sick in the sun


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2912
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
27 May 2021, 9:31am
Here's my Jam playlist
1. In the City
2. This is the Modern World
3. I Need You
4. All Mod Cons
5. To Be Someone
6. English Rose
7. A’ Bomb in Wardour Street
8. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
9. Burning Sky
10. Smithers Jones
11. The Eton Rifles
12. Strange Town
13. Thick as Thieves
14. Private Hell
15. Little Boy Soldiers
16. Wasteland
17. Pretty Green
18. Set the House Ablaze
19. Start!
20. That’s Entertainment
21. Boy About Town
22. Just Who is the 5 o’clock Hero
23. Town Called Malice
24. Tales From the Riverbank
25. Liza Radley
26. Funeral Pyre
27. Absolute Beginners
Some of my favorites as well, thanks.
Sittin' at home, and I'm so excited
Goin' to the party though we weren't invited

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 7612
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 10:02am
Beat Surrender has to be there, Mimi. :naughty:
I only sort of like it. Sorry.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 105682
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Neighbourhood of Infinity

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
27 May 2021, 11:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 10:02am
Beat Surrender has to be there, Mimi. :naughty:
I only sort of like it. Sorry.
I'm sorry, but the engagement is off. I want my ex-wife's ring back.
"And so the sailor goes, 'I don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts!'” - Woodrow Wilson to David Lloyd George, Paris Peace Conference, 1 February 1919

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 7612
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: Greatest Album of 1979 - Elimination Round 8

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 12:02pm
Mimi wrote:
27 May 2021, 11:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 May 2021, 10:02am
Beat Surrender has to be there, Mimi. :naughty:
I only sort of like it. Sorry.
I'm sorry, but the engagement is off. I want my ex-wife's ring back.
You'll have to cut it off my cold dead finger.

Post Reply