I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fuck but I hate iMovie. Absolutely shit, unintuitive piece of garbage. All I want to do is take a clip and add a video fade out—I can do that—and a simultaneous audio fade. None of the tips I've found online make sense. Click on the Adjust button, it says. What fucking Adjust button? Where is this? It's in the Adjustment Bar. Where the hell is that? Fade ins and outs are so goddamned common, that should be a menu option. Go fuck yourself, Apple.

edit: Finally figured shit out, but it's seriously not intuitive software. I remember when Apple's appeal was that it was built for the average chump. Asshats.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fuck apple

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

It's still nice to have a computer that doesn't crash all the time. PCs are the devil.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 3:06pm
It's still nice to have a computer that doesn't crash all the time. PCs are the devil.
PCs have come a long way from Windows 95. Mine never crashes. If I want something less windoze I'll happily run linux.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
I will grant Apple that—it's super rare that I have a freeze that requires a hard restart.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 3:40pm
Kory wrote:
PCs have come a long way from Windows 95. Mine never crashes. If I want something less windoze I'll happily run linux.
Must have come a long way in the last 5 years in that case.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 6:57pm
revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 3:40pm
Kory wrote:
Must have come a long way in the last 5 years in that case.
Well underlying hardware and drivers are what seems to caus3 issues. That's one thing Apple has is complete control over everything. But yeah Ive had solid performance for successive computers for close to 10 years running Win7 and Win10.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don't expect anyone to have an answer here, but we have the thread and my conversations with my school's IT have thus far not been productive. We use Brightspace, which is a central station for students and instructors—making announcement, handling quizzes and essay submissions, Zoom, and making available content for students to use. After every online lecture, I upload the recording so people who missed class can catch up or to fill in notes. No problems until late last week when uploads—one was 800MB, the other 415MB—each stalled out at 70%. So even tho the files were different sizes, it was at the percentage that it stopped. I've cleared the cache and tried different browsers and simplified the file name but no use. I uploaded to a different site the recording for the IT guys and that's where we're at, tho I can't see the file being the problem.

So, any thoughts where the problem might lie?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 1:37pm
gremlins
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gremlins
That's moronic. Now, poltergeists are a possibility.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 2:49pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gremlins
So youve uploaded your files successfully elsewhere.

Can you try uploading say a 200Mb file? Or even 100Mb?

I sounds like a problem with the aptly named Brightspace.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gremlins

Yeah, I uploaded the one file to mega.nz for them to examine. No, I haven't tried uploading a smaller sized file. I really don't think that's the issue because it gets hung up at the same percent for both the smaller and larger file, meaning more was uploaded of the larger one (assuming the % being reported is in any way accurate). I assume the issue is distinctly with my Brightspace account as I would they'd have been bombarded with complaints from others about the same problem.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 3:58pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gremlins

Yeah, I uploaded the one file to mega.nz for them to examine. No, I haven't tried uploading a smaller sized file. I really don't think that's the issue because it gets hung up at the same percent for both the smaller and larger file, meaning more was uploaded of the larger one (assuming the % being reported is in any way accurate). I assume the issue is distinctly with my Brightspace account as I would they'd have been bombarded with complaints from others about the same problem.
Do you have a colleague who can upload one of your files?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

gremlins

I'm going to try a test on The Boss's account tonight. Just tried uploading a 65MB video and it stalled at 70% like the others.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm going to try a test on The Boss's account tonight. Just tried uploading a 65MB video and it stalled at 70% like the others.
That's odd. I would also try it on her computer.