Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2022, 2:40pm
Flex wrote:
05 May 2022, 2:37pm
I have never willingly sat in the front half of a classroom in my life
Even in seminars, which I love like a fat kid does cake, I've always sought a seat farthest from the person running the show. Staying away from power, I think.
Hello,

I have mentioned elsewhere here that a Ramones show at Allen's in Scotia, NY had a big sign: "No slam dancing; pogo-ing OK". I have always been against slam dancing - far too LA-ish for me. It's pretentious - trying to look wild and crazy.

In classes, I tend to sit in the back as I usually want to consider the material from a distance. Certain instructors were looking for engagement/volunteers/people who would confirm the instructor. I want to hold back while I think about it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 May 2022, 4:18pm
In classes, I tend to sit in the back as I usually want to consider the material from a distance. Certain instructors were looking for engagement/volunteers/people who would confirm the instructor. I want to hold back while I think about it.
But as someone at the front of the room now, do you appreciate the eager dorks in the first couple rows?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2022, 4:36pm
gkbill wrote:
But as someone at the front of the room now, do you appreciate the eager dorks in the first couple rows?
Hello,

I can appreciate the people in the front row if they are in pursuit of knowledge. If they are solely in pursuit of an A, not so much.

It has been my experience that if I am patient and deal with overly enthusiastic people in the front - without catering to them - I tend to reel in the less enthusiastic people in the back.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 May 2022, 5:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 May 2022, 4:36pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

I can appreciate the people in the front row if they are in pursuit of knowledge. If they are solely in pursuit of an A, not so much.

It has been my experience that if I am patient and deal with overly enthusiastic people in the front - without catering to them - I tend to reel in the less enthusiastic people in the back.
I haven't really thought about it that much or tried to keep track, but my sense is that my genuinely interested students are towards the front.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I generally sit as far back as I can where I can see the whole space and have my exits figured out. Just like when I was a kid and had to go to church.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
05 May 2022, 7:03pm
I generally sit as far back as I can where I can see the whole space and have my exits figured out. Just like when I was a kid and had to go to church.
I do that everywhere I go, have been since I was a wee lad (over 5 decades ago). I know where all the exits are in every store/medical building I regularly frequent, even the emergency will-set-off-alarms ones.
People up here have I Love Jesus bumperstickers on their pickup trucks and gunracks in the same trucks, so I avoid church religiously.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/oh-no- ... ises-hand/

The best are those students who let you know that they were "there" and "that's not how it was." Yes, you never heard about Riot Grrrl in the 90s, so clearly it was a non-event.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 9:27am

The best are those students who let you know that they were "there" and "that's not how it was." Yes, you never heard about Riot Grrrl in the 90s, so clearly it was a non-event.
lol
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

One of the nice things about teaching a harder science (by this I in no means am referring to the difficulty of the material) is opinions don't matter. We need data - objective data. I cite the cliché "Opinions are like..." in the beginning of a class and students generally understand and are okay with keeping their opinion separated from a conclusion.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 10:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

One of the nice things about teaching a harder science (by this I in no means am referring to the difficulty of the material) is opinions don't matter. We need data - objective data. I cite the cliché "Opinions are like..." in the beginning of a class and students generally understand and are okay with keeping their opinion separated from a conclusion.
What is shared, tho, is interpretations of evidence. Hard science has less squishy evidence, so a less expansive range of interpretations (comparatively), but the game is still about interpretation of what it all means. The problem is that opinions too often aren't tightly bound to the evidence and more to feelings and desired conclusions.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

LET ME AT 'EM!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 11:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

LET ME AT 'EM!
:lol: I'm sure some students think I have a crush on Kathleen Hanna. Like, I do, but that's not my greater point!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 10:34am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

What is shared, tho, is interpretations of evidence. Hard science has less squishy evidence, so a less expansive range of interpretations (comparatively), but the game is still about interpretation of what it all means. The problem is that opinions too often aren't tightly bound to the evidence and more to feelings and desired conclusions.
Hello,

Yes - most of our material is much more objective. The open door that I like to stroll through is application. Now that we know this, how do we use it? What good is it?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 11:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 10:34am
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Yes - most of our material is much more objective. The open door that I like to stroll through is application. Now that we know this, how do we use it? What good is it?
And application is where the humanities largely shrugs its shoulders. I teach critical thinking (more or less) but don't care what they do with it—save the planet, blow up the planet, whatever.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just returned an assignment yesterday and got an email from a student who let me know that 10/15 isn't a C, but a C+. Not snotty, but to make sure I didn't fuck up the grade sheet, I guess. I thanked them but let them know that it's the number that matters, not the letter. I told the Boss that every so often, I get that sudden reminder as to how young they really are.