Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Zoom question to those experienced (particularly gkbill): I can see the key combination for letting participants "raise their hand" to get the host's attention, but I don't see it as one of the console buttons. Am I missing something? Is there some default setting I have to alter?

Also, again, gkbill, have you used the feature to break people out into discussion groups and, if so, how well does it work? My way of running in-person discussions with classes that are 40–50 people is to first break them into groups of around 7 or so and let them consider a bunch of questions. I rotate around the class, listening in, answering questions, offering new questions. Then after about 45 minutes of that, we all talk as the full class—those same initial questions and then some more. Basically, people who talk in the small groups can get a decent participation mark, with those who continue in the big group can get a perfect score. If we only did the big group version, odds are three-quarters of people wouldn't have a chance (or choose not) to contribute. So if the break into discussion groups feature is workable, I'll do that and emulate the in-person version; otherwise I figure I'll ask people to sign up for tutorials and we won't do the big class discussion, but instead four sections of maybe a dozen students (the latter is certainly more work for me). So I'm curious if you have any experience with the smaller discussion groups option with Zoom.

edit: Never mind re. raising your hand. The Boss found it. I figured it'd be more prominent, but it's tucked into Participants mode.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Have I sent this to you before Doc?

The best books on Punk Rock (in 80s America)
https://fivebooks.com/best-books/punk-r ... n-mattson/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 7:27pm
Have I sent this to you before Doc?

The best books on Punk Rock (in 80s America)
https://fivebooks.com/best-books/punk-r ... n-mattson/
Nope, but thanks! I've read all but the Russo, so I've made note of that. My class is discussing Mattson's book in late February.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Student emails me to say they can't do the assignment because "I don't have any opinions."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 4:46pm
Student emails me to say they can't do the assignment because "I don't have any opinions."
https://frinkiac.com/img/S04E22/411026.jpg
lmao, i never tried that one
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

If you’re starting an online class, check to make sure your professor is alive

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... essor-dead

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
At all or on a specific subject?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:34am
If you’re starting an online class, check to make sure your professor is alive

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... essor-dead
Given the number of profs here who aren't teaching live this year—they're recording their lectures at home, posting them, and then see ya at the final, kids!—this is more possible than you might think.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Specific so far; time will tell whether this is part of a larger pattern.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:41am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can see not giving a shit about something but presumably that shouldn't really be the case for a class like yours where most students are choosing it I would think.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 8:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I can see not giving a shit about something but presumably that shouldn't really be the case for a class like yours where most students are choosing it I would think.
You'd think, but my courses sound "fun" (meaning easy), so I get a number of students who don't think there'll be any work. What's baffling in this case is that I intentionally selected a short and easy book for the first review. Sorry to say, kids, but the next books are more demanding.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 9:35am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You'd think, but my courses sound "fun" (meaning easy), so I get a number of students who don't think there'll be any work. What's baffling in this case is that I intentionally selected a short and easy book for the first review. Sorry to say, kids, but the next books are more demanding.
You got to hand it to the guy though. He's got moxie.

I'm assuming it's a guy.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 1:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'm assuming it's a guy.
You know what they say about assuming …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm assuming it's a guy.
That it's usually true? :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'm assuming it's a guy.
That it's usually true? :shifty:
:lol: