Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 1:29pm
gkbill wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 1:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 1:03pm
revbob wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 12:32pm

I recently interviewed a guy and in the course of the interview he mentioned failing an IT certification test recently It was refreshing to hear that and I told him so, as it meant he didn't cheat.
Or he's not good at cheating. :shifty:

The few times I've found plagiarism, it's because it's so obvious. One was a book review where the first three-quarters was dogshit, then, holy crap, what a wrap-up! So I just did a basic google search of the ending and, yup, word for word. C'mon, kids, it's a skill like any other.
Hello,

Do you not use TurnItIn?
I inquired whether the university subscribes to anti-plagiarism software or service and nope.
Hello,

I'd strongly recommend asking for TurnItIn. It's very good (detects all sources including previously student-written work submitted elsewhere). It makes grading easier as well (common comments can be dropped in on the paper).
I'm a sessional instructor, so my requests … carry no weight. But I hope that with conversations about AI there's also conversations amongst faculty for a university-wide subscription. I guess in the meantime I can just bluff students and say that I subscribe to it. :meh:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 2:35pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 1:03pm

Or he's not good at cheating. :shifty:

The few times I've found plagiarism, it's because it's so obvious. One was a book review where the first three-quarters was dogshit, then, holy crap, what a wrap-up! So I just did a basic google search of the ending and, yup, word for word. C'mon, kids, it's a skill like any other.
Hello,

Do you not use TurnItIn?
I inquired whether the university subscribes to anti-plagiarism software or service and nope.
Hello,

I'd strongly recommend asking for TurnItIn. It's very good (detects all sources including previously student-written work submitted elsewhere). It makes grading easier as well (common comments can be dropped in on the paper).
I'm a sessional instructor, so my requests … carry no weight. But I hope that with conversations about AI there's also conversations amongst faculty for a university-wide subscription. I guess in the meantime I can just bluff students and say that I subscribe to it. :meh:
Hello,

Students submit work directly to TurnItIn, so the bluff may not work if students know how TurnItIn works. If you use Canvas as a Learning Management System, you can use TurnItIn through that as an automatic process (students submit work to a Canvas assignment, then you assign TurnItIn to review all assignments submitted.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 4:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Do you not use TurnItIn?
Hello,

Hello,

Students submit work directly to TurnItIn, so the bluff may not work if students know how TurnItIn works. If you use Canvas as a Learning Management System, you can use TurnItIn through that as an automatic process (students submit work to a Canvas assignment, then you assign TurnItIn to review all assignments submitted.
Ugh. Okay, I'll tell them that I subscribe to an unnamed plagiarism service. And if anyone asks questions, they're on the list. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 4:33pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Ugh. Okay, I'll tell them that I subscribe to an unnamed plagiarism service. And if anyone asks questions, they're on the list. :shifty:
Hello,

Just tell them if you suspect anything, you use TurnItIn to check - send me a paper and I'll try to run it through.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 4:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 4:33pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

Just tell them if you suspect anything, you use TurnItIn to check - send me a paper and I'll try to run it through.
Cool and thanks! I'll keep it in mind. :cool:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Update on our AI dystopia. Student turned in their first book review, which amounted to a bunch of blurbish paragraphs all more or less saying the same thing, giving rough summaries of the book over and over. Admittedly, my antenna is up for this stuff now, so I went to OpenAI and had it write a review of the book. Same kind of shit, over and over. And, for the sake of funsies, I went to a site that is supposed to detect AI-generated text. It said the student review was 99.8% likely legit. But then it also said the same—exactly same percentage!—when I pasted in the AI version, so, yeah.

I've turned that example and the review over to my dean for their examination and advice. Welcome to hell.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 7:29pm
Update on our AI dystopia. Student turned in their first book review, which amounted to a bunch of blurbish paragraphs all more or less saying the same thing, giving rough summaries of the book over and over. Admittedly, my antenna is up for this stuff now, so I went to OpenAI and had it write a review of the book. Same kind of shit, over and over. And, for the sake of funsies, I went to a site that is supposed to detect AI-generated text. It said the student review was 99.8% likely legit. But then it also said the same—exactly same percentage!—when I pasted in the AI version, so, yeah.

I've turned that example and the review over to my dean for their examination and advice. Welcome to hell.
At least the AI is really stupid.

Sometimes these things seem to generate impressive content but like 99% of the examples I've seen are like you describe or even worse.

Talking with some more tech savvy friends, a lot of them are excited about its eventual application as a much more sophisticated form of, say, a spell checker that could give a really intensive proof read of written content (for example) rather than generating the content itself. They're less excited about the AI's seemingly very promising abilities to code and make their jobs obsolete.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 7:29pm

At least the AI is really stupid.

Sometimes these things seem to generate impressive content but like 99% of the examples I've seen are like you describe or even worse.

Talking with some more tech savvy friends, a lot of them are excited about its eventual application as a much more sophisticated form of, say, a spell checker that could give a really intensive proof read of written content (for example) rather than generating the content itself. They're less excited about the AI's seemingly very promising abilities to code and make their jobs obsolete.
When I've played around with it, my thought was it'd be useful for aiding an initial draft. Sketch out the basics and I'll expand on it in more meaningful ways. But if a person is using the software to be lazy, the result will still be weak tea.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Used GPTZero this morning to test the possible AI cheat. It suggested many sentences—like, lots and lots—were AI-written and it correctly identified my AI test version as fake. Fucking hell.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 10:24am
Used GPTZero this morning to test the possible AI cheat. It suggested many sentences—like, lots and lots—were AI-written and it correctly identified my AI test version as fake. Fucking hell.
Hello,

I haven't encountered any situations where I would use this - yet. The writing assignments come later in the semester. I played with both a ChatBot and then with GPTZero - GPTZero seems to be a pretty good tool. Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 10:24am
Hello,

I haven't encountered any situations where I would use this - yet. The writing assignments come later in the semester. I played with both a ChatBot and then with GPTZero - GPTZero seems to be a pretty good tool. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I'm impressed with the results of the tests so far. I'll be using it going forward on anything vaguely suspicious, just to see if I need to follow-up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dammit, another AI-generated piece. A student with very hesitant English and never takes notes turned in a technically proficient review that still says very little. I'm less angry than just sad.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:07pm
Dammit, another AI-generated piece. A student with very hesitant English and never takes notes turned in a technically proficient review that still says very little. I'm less angry than just sad.
Switch to math.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Switch to math.
:yuck:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:39pm
revbob wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Switch to math.
:yuck: