IMCT is 20! Great Threads (2012-2022)

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: IMCT is 20! Great Threads (2012-2022)

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 1:02pm
JennyB wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 12:38pm
What about the Clashy thread?
Yeah, that qualifies: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7795

Yeesh, what a piece of work.
Clashy wrote:
23 Jan 2012, 11:44pm

Sorry, Anarshit. As fun as its been playing the Leo Frank role in your little lynching party, but its been more fun watching reactionary buffoons struggle desperately to pretend they don't fucking loathe each other once the scapegoats been cast out of the village. Run back to your pothead dreamworld while the rest of struggle for justice and liberation in this fucking world. I can't say I blame you for leaving this place- it's like a bad remake of the Office.

Sai-o-fucking-nara, motherfuckers.
I mean, why did he think it was OK to make fun of you? Only WE get to make fun of you!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 5:25pm
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Clashy wrote:

Sorry, Anarshit. As fun as its been playing the Leo Frank role in your little lynching party, but its been more fun watching reactionary buffoons struggle desperately to pretend they don't fucking loathe each other once the scapegoats been cast out of the village. Run back to your pothead dreamworld while the rest of struggle for justice and liberation in this fucking world. I can't say I blame you for leaving this place- it's like a bad remake of the Office.

I mean, why did he think it was OK to make fun of you? Only WE get to make fun of you!
Well that was directed at eumaas (which makes his Leo Frank comments unintentionally ironic), but yeah, he did go at me a bit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 7:15pm
JennyB wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 5:25pm
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Clashy wrote:

Well that was directed at eumaas (which makes his Leo Frank comments unintentionally ironic), but yeah, he did go at me a bit.
Wow who knew some of the other sub forums were so much fun.

Also Leo Frank? That's pretty esoteric.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Clashy was like our snark dreams made flesh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Sorry guys, I put this in the wrong thread. See IMCT is 20!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 1:18pm
Maj and muppet argue whether Keith Richards sucks:
https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 86#p491086
I was pretty clear eyed in there, good arguing.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 10:29am
matedog wrote:
Even tho that discussion is only a couple years old, I have zero recollection, even in re-reading what I contributed, of it. I would reiterate one thing I said: it shows that liberal is not the same thing as left.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 11:14am
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Even tho that discussion is only a couple years old, I have zero recollection, even in re-reading what I contributed, of it. I would reiterate one thing I said: it shows that liberal is not the same thing as left.
It is a source of endless wonder to me how many supposedly politically alert people seem unable to grasp that very basic truth.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Muppett flamed me about something stupid in the Kiss thread, I was like dude take it easy, whatever, you win, happy now

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 11:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
It is a source of endless wonder to me how many supposedly politically alert people seem unable to grasp that very basic truth.
My pet theory is that it's a reflection of how much our politics has been driven by cultural questions, rather than economic. The shift in the left more broadly since the 60s has gone from a fight over labour issues—neoliberalism won that handily by the 90s—to one of personal liberation. Treat me and my choices and identity with respect. Not that that is wrong, of course, only that it's a shift from common cause over labour to one of diversity and the happiness of the individual. And the right has responded to that challenge, hostile to genuine pluralism. But those cultural and identity questions of diversity play well with liberalism (at the centre). It doesn't confound neoliberal economic questions because, in fact, it plays quite well with making us all commodities and markets. So if politics is mostly driven by cultural questions (because the economic stuff has been so stifled for decades), liberal and left often play together better than liberal and right. Now, as neoliberalism's hold is breaking up, and economic questions return, the divisions between left and liberal should be more apparent. Anyway, a pet theory.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Muppett flamed me about something stupid in the Kiss thread, I was like dude take it easy, whatever, you win, happy now
I still have him on Ignore, should he ever return. His fealty to rock's canon, that we should never criticize the gods, drove me nuts. I remember him saying he couldn't participate in one of our Survivor-style games because the idea of arguing against great songs was too horrible to consider. Can't fathom that kind of subservience to art or artist.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:15pm
coffeepotman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
I still have him on Ignore, should he ever return. His fealty to rock's canon, that we should never criticize the gods, drove me nuts. I remember him saying he couldn't participate in one of our Survivor-style games because the idea of arguing against great songs was too horrible to consider. Can't fathom that kind of subservience to art or artist.
Muppet was an odd one (as we all are). He and I did a challenge once because he was always talking shit about Sabbath. Anyway I gave him X many songs. He wondered why I didnt include Paranoid and Iron Man. I said because everyone knows those 2, so not much of a challenge. Anyway he never got around to doing the track review.

http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... &start=390

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Muppet was an odd one (as we all are). He and I did a challenge once because he was always talking shit about Sabbath. Anyway I gave him X many songs. He wondered why I didnt include Paranoid and Iron Man. I said because everyone knows those 2, so not much of a challenge. Anyway he never got around to doing the track review.

Maybe there isn't an official Rolling Stone guide to Sabbath to let him know whether it's acceptable.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I liked the guy. Always very nice to me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:48pm
revbob wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Maybe there isn't an official Rolling Stone guide to Sabbath to let him know whether it's acceptable.
And he had that wild notion that Johnny Thunders was gonna play with the Stones as a 2nd guitar player or something .