I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by revbob »

Enough of Doc's Steve Jobs inspired woes.

Has anyone ever done a custom tshirt design ? If so how did you go about it? I have an image I want to get on a shirt.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:05pm

Has anyone ever done a custom tshirt design ? If so how did you go about it? I have an image I want to get on a shirt.
Many years ago I used a local print shop to create an iron on image of a photo I had taken.
I think you may be able to do it from home with something like this:

https://epson.com/For-Home/Paper/Presen ... /m/S041153
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 10:05pm

I've done it quite a bit in the last couple years. Really simple. I use an Ontario place called Entripy. Everything done online—pick the shirt type, colour, upload a 300 dpi image, and you're done.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Postscript to my Spotify odyssey: Yup, that is the proper “experience” with the mobile version in free mode. Which is, in essence, like turning on your tv, sitting thru a couple ads, and then the channel changes randomly to some other show you didn’t ask for. I sat thru the fucking ad, that’s my penance! So, away wit’ ye, Spotify. It also dawned on me today that most of the new music I like is sold on Bandcamp, so I dl’d the app and used it for my walk. Yay, I get to pick all the songs I want to hear! But if you’ll excuse me, I see some clouds needin’ a-scoldin’.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:11pm
Postscript to my Spotify odyssey: Yup, that is the proper “experience” with the mobile version in free mode. Which is, in essence, like turning on your tv, sitting thru a couple ads, and then the channel changes randomly to some other show you didn’t ask for. I sat thru the fucking ad, that’s my penance! So, away wit’ ye, Spotify. It also dawned on me today that most of the new music I like is sold on Bandcamp, so I dl’d the app and used it for my walk. Yay, I get to pick all the songs I want to hear! But if you’ll excuse me, I see some clouds needin’ a-scoldin’.
I learned recently (though haven't experienced it) that Bandcamp only allows a couple free listens before it requires payment, so it's not quite a replacement. But good for a while.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 2:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 1:11pm
I learned recently (though haven't experienced it) that Bandcamp only allows a couple free listens before it requires payment, so it's not quite a replacement. But good for a while.
Interesting. I haven't encountered that yet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Not a problem but a solution to a stupid problem. All of a sudden, my Time Machine back-up disc wouldn't back up. It'd go for about 45 seconds and stop. No reported problems or anything, it'd just stop. I even erased the disc, but still nothing. Then, on a whim, I renamed the back-up disc. And now it works. As I said to the Boss, I remember when Apple made things that worked easily.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I don't need any specific help as such, I just wanted to complain about how hard it is to learn JavaScript.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 4:11pm
I don't need any specific help as such, I just wanted to complain about how hard it is to learn JavaScript.
I leave that to the programmers.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 5:24pm
Kory wrote:
I leave that to the programmers.
That's what I am becoming.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
I'm in legit awe of people who learn coding of any kind. When I was a 14-year old nerd, I learned Basic fairly well, but that was the extent of things. The stuff that people do now is wizardry to me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 5:38pm
Kory wrote:
I'm in legit awe of people who learn coding of any kind. When I was a 14-year old nerd, I learned Basic fairly well, but that was the extent of things. The stuff that people do now is wizardry to me.
I'm already a whiz with HTML and CSS, and I'm learning JS to make myself more competitive as a front-end dev, but it's very much like learning another language. I'm worried I'm too old for it, which makes me worried about going down this career path at all.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I'm already a whiz with HTML and CSS, and I'm learning JS to make myself more competitive as a front-end dev, but it's very much like learning another language. I'm worried I'm too old for it, which makes me worried about going down this career path at all.
You're not too old. You just need enough time. You got this kid.

But seriously you can do it. I went back to school at 40 to learn some new skills. I have always been technical so I stuck with the technical field in general.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
People with a creative bent seem better suited for learning languages—it's all about expression, right?—so I'd say you're in a better position than most. And, well, learning should be kind of hard, you know? Struggle struggle minor breakthrough struggle struggle minor breakthrough. As long as you get those little breakthroughs every so often, you're still in the game.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Thanks guys, it's hard to stay motivated in a vacuum.