I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 8:48pm
More me venting than anything else. My sister reaches out because she needs to download and send some bank statements to a lawyer. I say ok but you cant just email the statements they likely have information you dont want to be potentially exposed like that thry need to be encrypted. And they need to be in a somewhat universal format so thd person on the other end can open them. Well she has no computer just an iPhone. So now I gotta walk her tbru all this stuff while she attempts to encrypt the files on what is a glorified toy. Me and my big mouth.
Lawyer? Only drug dealers need lawyers.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 6:17am
revbob wrote:
More me venting than anything else. My sister reaches out because she needs to download and send some bank statements to a lawyer. I say ok but you cant just email the statements they likely have information you dont want to be potentially exposed like that thry need to be encrypted. And they need to be in a somewhat universal format so thd person on the other end can open them. Well she has no computer just an iPhone. So now I gotta walk her tbru all this stuff while she attempts to encrypt the files on what is a glorified toy. Me and my big mouth.
Well funny enough she is a pharmaceutical sales rep so...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 8:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Does she use drug lingo like weed, acid, and “You wanna buy some illegal drugs from me?”
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 9:42am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Does she use drug lingo like weed, acid, and “You wanna buy some illegal drugs from me?”
No but years ago when she just got into it I remember talking to my mom and asking how things were back home and she said something to the effect of "and your sister's still selling the drugs..." No attempt at humor whatsoever just very matter of fact. And I was like WTF she's selling drugs? and she goes "oh you know like for the doctor's offices".

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 10:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 9:42am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
No but years ago when she just got into it I remember talking to my mom and asking how things were back home and she said something to the effect of "and your sister's still selling the drugs..." No attempt at humor whatsoever just very matter of fact. And I was like WTF she's selling drugs? and she goes "oh you know like for the doctor's offices".
That is just exceptional, especially because your mom wasn't trying to be funny.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Anyone know a good fix for the black screen of death on my laptop? Tried the instructions on Google to no avail.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 6:40pm
Anyone know a good fix for the black screen of death on my laptop? Tried the instructions on Google to no avail.
Windows based? What version?

Does anything show on the screen during boot up?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
Do you happen to know if it has an integrated or dedicated graphics card? Sounds like what I experienced with my older Nvidia 8600M GT when it started to fail.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 7:43pm
Heston wrote:

Windows 10. Nothing at all on screen but lights are on at the front.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 8:28pm
Heston wrote:
Do you happen to know if it has an integrated or dedicated graphics card? Sounds like what I experienced with my older Nvidia 8600M GT when it started to fail.
Not sure to be honest. It's just a Toshiba satellite I bought about 4 years ago.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 2:09am
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Any odd sounds?

Do you have an external monitor connection like an hdmi port and a monitor you can conmect to it

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 8:57am
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Any odd sounds?

Do you have an external monitor connection like an hdmi port and a monitor you can conmect to it
That's what I was thinking—an external monitor or seeing if he can access it remotely once powered up.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 9:01am
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Any odd sounds?

That's what I was thinking—an external monitor or seeing if he can access it remotely once powered up.
Yeah Ive seen where laptops lose the native video because the cable gets stressed and breaks over time.

Next question for Heston if that doesnt work is was it a legit version of Win10 on there and do you need/want to retrieve flles from it?

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Any odd sounds?

My girlfriend has a monitor, how would I connect it? No odd sounds.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 9:19am
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Any odd sounds?

My girlfriend has a monitor, how would I connect it? No odd sounds.
It should have a hdmi port or maybe a mini display port (google those terms to see what thry look like. Then you need a cable to connect one of those ports to the monitor. Depending on her monitor you might need an adapter of some sort to convert the connection.