I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 6:19pm
Heston wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 5:48pm
Sparky wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 4:18pm
How would I go about converting a WordPad document (it's a CV) to a PDF file? Bearing in mind I don't want to spend any money on Adobe Acrobat. Thanks boffins.
If you're using Windows 10, choose print and on the printer menu where you would select your printer, choose "Save as PDF".
Windows 7 unfortunately. I don't get the options in your screenshot. Cheers though Sparky.
There are plenty of online services that freely convert documents. Just google "convert to pdf" and that should burp up some options.
Yup, I just posted one such option just before your post.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 6:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
How would I go about converting a WordPad document (it's a CV) to a PDF file? Bearing in mind I don't want to spend any money on Adobe Acrobat. Thanks boffins.
If you're using Windows 10, choose print and on the printer menu where you would select your printer, choose "Save as PDF".
Windows 7 unfortunately. I don't get the options in your screenshot. Cheers though Sparky.
There are plenty of online services that freely convert documents. Just google "convert to pdf" and that should burp up some options.
Whoops. I only know wondershare from sketchy apps.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
Id suggest putting it in google docs and export it as a pdf.

There's also various free options like this

https://www.win7pdf.com/pdf-printer.html

https://pdf.wondershare.com/how-to/conv ... PDF%20file.

Or
https://www.pdf2go.com/word-to-pdf

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 6:47pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Sparky wrote:

The HiPDF link looked pretty legit and straightforward. I see Rev posted the same wondershare link, so if Heston posts tomorrow asking for help with computer viruses, let's blame Rev. :shifty:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 7:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

The HiPDF link looked pretty legit and straightforward. I see Rev posted the same wondershare link, so if Heston posts tomorrow asking for help with computer viruses, let's blame Rev. :shifty:
Oh no, the free stuff where you upload things for translation or format change, that's safe enough. I've dl'd Wondershare apps before, tho, and they're both clunky and expensive.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 7:16pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh no, the free stuff where you upload things for translation or format change, that's safe enough. I've dl'd Wondershare apps before, tho, and they're both clunky and expensive.
Yeah, this one should be safe enough. It seems like a simple free online option.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 7:16pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Yeah, this one should be safe enough. It seems like a simple free online option.
Next week …
Heston: You assholes, I've got crabs!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
**Edit** Just saw revbob posted something similar, as well as Kimmelweck, all good options.

When we were using W7 we used this free program, PDF Redirect. It installs a printer drop down option very similar to the W10.

https://pdf-redirect.en.softonic.com/#: ... h%20faster.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Thanks chaps, I'll run through some of these options today while you fight some boffin wars. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So my school's IT has introduced a new set of security protocols for mobile devices. Basically another round of PIN entry in case your phone or tablet is stolen. However, for it to work, you need to switch your email client to Outlook. In other words, you won't be able to access your university account if you rely on non-Microsoft products. Like Apple's Mail app. The whole thing smells to me like Microsoft forcing its clients to switch to all their products. If someone steals my phone and can break my first PIN to get in, it seems reasonable to think that they'll be able to break the next PIN (which for most people is likely going to be the same six-digit code) to access Outlook or Word or whatever. The Boss and I have already taken the "temporary" opt out and I've said that unless they let me use the apps of my preference—i.e., Mail—I just won't be getting university mail on my mobile devices (and isn't that a good and productive thing). Never thought I'd say this, but I hope some asshole law prof decides to get on their high horse about this.

More amusing, I got my official acknowledgement this morning:
Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 10.38.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 10.38.48 AM.png (18.97 KiB) Viewed 977 times
They want us to jump thru their hoops of quality control and yet their auto-response includes that?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:51am
So my school's IT has introduced a new set of security protocols for mobile devices. Basically another round of PIN entry in case your phone or tablet is stolen. However, for it to work, you need to switch your email client to Outlook. In other words, you won't be able to access your university account if you rely on non-Microsoft products. Like Apple's Mail app. The whole thing smells to me like Microsoft forcing its clients to switch to all their products. If someone steals my phone and can break my first PIN to get in, it seems reasonable to think that they'll be able to break the next PIN (which for most people is likely going to be the same six-digit code) to access Outlook or Word or whatever. The Boss and I have already taken the "temporary" opt out and I've said that unless they let me use the apps of my preference—i.e., Mail—I just won't be getting university mail on my mobile devices (and isn't that a good and productive thing). Never thought I'd say this, but I hope some asshole law prof decides to get on their high horse about this.

They want us to jump thru their hoops of quality control and yet their auto-response includes that?
I'd respond with something like "well, I can do it but I'm already PRETTY SECURE since all my passwords are "password" and my pins are all "1234" so I don't see what good any of this does."
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd respond with something like "well, I can do it but I'm already PRETTY SECURE since all my passwords are "password" and my pins are all "1234" so I don't see what good any of this does."
HOW DID YOU HACK ME!!!??

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 11:56am
HOW DID YOU HACK ME!!!??
Me when I put my birthday in as my pin
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

IT people love people like you.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I dont use my personal phone to access work resources. I wont use the guest wifi either.