I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 3:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 2:38pm
revbob wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 1:18pm
Update: I can't even get the case open for the iPod—various guides refer to a mysterious "plastic tool" that I neither possess nor can identify—so I'm licked before even consideration of soldering. So I guess I'll take them to a shop to get the batteries replaced. I blame Yoko.
Yeah those stupid things. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate apple products? Because I do I really hate nearly everything about them.
Well, sure, but I'm not sure any other comparable device would be any easier to open. Generally all electronic devices suck.
Hello,

If you're just going to replace the battery, try a cell phone shop. A lot of those strip mall-type place have people that are pretty creative and many will do anything for a buck (Larry, Daryl, and Daryl reference).
There's a place not far from me that replaced the battery on my iPad. The reason I resisted on this was mainly that I was led to believe replacing the battery on an iPod was relatively easy (ha!).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Update: I can't even get the case open for the iPod—various guides refer to a mysterious "plastic tool" that I neither possess nor can identify—so I'm licked before even consideration of soldering. So I guess I'll take them to a shop to get the batteries replaced. I blame Yoko.
Yeah those stupid things. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate apple products? Because I do I really hate nearly everything about them.
Well, sure, but I'm not sure any other comparable device would be any easier to open. Generally all electronic devices suck.
Apple has consistently led the way in making their shit hard for the average person to work on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Apple has consistently led the way in making their shit hard for the average person to work on.
It's the Jobsian difference!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

How do you send a PM on this board to more than like 5 people?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 6:55pm
In the User Control Panel, choose PM tab, then below the box that says add recipients, click on find a member. Put a check in the box next to each members name, then at the bottom of the page hit "select marked" and their names will appear in the recipients box.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:00pm
revbob wrote:
In the User Control Panel, choose PM tab, then below the box that says add recipients, click on find a member. Put a check in the box next to each members name, then at the bottom of the page hit "select marked" and their names will appear in the recipients box.
Yes, but I think the five is key here. And I don't think you can. Inder has a fear of numbers greater than five (some kind of Nilsson Curse, I believe).

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:12pm
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yes, but I think the five is key here. And I don't think you can. Inder has a fear of numbers greater than five (some kind of Nilsson Curse, I believe).
I was fiddling around with it and was able to get it to take 3 names from the search, but I didn't try to send...don't know. I sent a PM to two users a few months back and they both received it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
I was fiddling around with it and was able to get it to take 3 names from the search, but I didn't try to send...don't know. I sent a PM to two users a few months back and they both received it.
I have a vague memory of trying to do more than five recipients once and Indersoft™ (a division of Monsanto) telling me I couldn't.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:54pm
Sparky wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 7:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
I have a vague memory of trying to do more than five recipients once and Indersoft™ (a division of Monsanto) telling me I couldn't.
Indersoft™ (a division of Monsanto) :naughty: :lol:

Perhaps 2 was the limit and I just got lucky.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Perhaps I'll be embarrassing myself with this question, but how the fuck do I turn off the shuffle in Spotify (iOS)? Desktop version, I can pick whatever I want to listen to—full albums in the proper song sequence—but with the damned phone I might get one song off an album I pick (which song? who knows!) and then it goes off on its own.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:05pm
Perhaps I'll be embarrassing myself with this question, but how the fuck do I turn off the shuffle in Spotify (iOS)? Desktop version, I can pick whatever I want to listen to—full albums in the proper song sequence—but with the damned phone I might get one song off an album I pick (which song? who knows!) and then it goes off on its own.
I'm a Windows guy and have an Android phone (wife has iPhone) so if this is wrong, blame Google. I did find something that said unless you were a "premium" user that Spotify wouldn't allow you to disable shuffle.

How do I stop Shuffle on Spotify iPhone?
The shuffle icon is above the repeat icon. If it's green, it means shuffle is enabled. If it's white/gray, it is disabled. Press to toggle

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm a Windows guy and have an Android phone (wife has iPhone) so if this is wrong, blame Google. I did find something that said unless you were a "premium" user that Spotify wouldn't allow you to disable shuffle.

The shuffle icon is above the repeat icon. If it's green, it means shuffle is enabled. If it's white/gray, it is disabled. Press to toggle
Must be the premium thing. The shuffle icon is embedded in the play/pause, so hitting it means pausing what's playing. Which makes the app pretty much garbage for me.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:40pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Must be the premium thing. The shuffle icon is embedded in the play/pause, so hitting it means pausing what's playing. Which makes the app pretty much garbage for me.
I had to install the app on my Windows desktop a while back in order to hear something or other, f'ing hate it. Tried to launch on its own every time Windows booted, luckily I was able to squash that nuisance.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fuck Spotify...he says while using Pandora... :shifty:
Last edited by revbob on 09 Nov 2021, 6:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:40pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I had to install the app on my Windows desktop a while back in order to hear something or other, f'ing hate it. Tried to launch on its own every time Windows booted, luckily I was able to squash that nuisance.
The desktop version and even the one on my iPad are fine—no forced shuffle—but the fucking phone app is absurdly restrictive.