I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:52pm
Fuck Spotify...he says while using Pandora...
I'll look into it. I don't use streaming services often, but I would like to pick what the hell I want to hear.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:53pm
revbob wrote:
I'll look into it. I don't use streaming services often, but I would like to pick what the hell I want to hear.
I added the shifty after because I dont think it is likely much better .
Can only shuffle unless you pay.
I have found a way to use it to my liking though. I setup roughly 100 or so artist stations that are to my liking. Then I put all those stations in the shuffle. I rarely hear a song I dont like or cant tolerate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 6:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I have found a way to use it to my liking though. I setup roughly 100 or so artist stations that are to my liking. Then I put all those stations in the shuffle. I rarely hear a song I dont like or cant tolerate.
Fucking hell. I guess I need to load my phone up with my own music then.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 7:01pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sounds like me, spent this afternoon ripping CD's to my desktop so I can put them on my iPod nano.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 7:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sounds like me, spent this afternoon ripping CD's to my desktop so I can put them on my iPod nano.
I did that long ago. Every cd I own got ripped then burned to a dvd-r for permanent storage. I actually don't own many cd's anymore, and what I have are in a box in the basement. I'm full-on non-removable media now.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
That's my usual go to. I have over 11 days of songs I can and do shuffle most of the time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 8:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
That's my usual go to. I have over 11 days of songs I can and do shuffle most of the time.
I have an iPod loaded up with that, but the battery is going on it. It's a question of me generating the initiative to get that fixed. I need a man servant.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 8:39pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have an iPod loaded up with that, but the battery is going on it. It's a question of me generating the initiative to get that fixed. I need a man servant.
I store everything on a computer, then a backup drive and move stuff to an SD card on my phone. I change phones i just swap the SD

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I store everything on a computer, then a backup drive and move stuff to an SD card on my phone. I change phones i just swap the SD
Same here, internal & external backup, but still kept all my CD's. My current phone has a SD slot, but from what I'm seeing, the newer phones don't, which is pretty lame IMO.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 8:09pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I did that long ago. Every cd I own got ripped then burned to a dvd-r for permanent storage. I actually don't own many cd's anymore, and what I have are in a box in the basement. I'm full-on non-removable media now.
I had some new CD's that I hadn't ripped yet. When I built a new PC last year, I found all the newer cases I liked didn't have the 3.5" drive bay's for optical drives, so I made do with the external USB DVD / CD drive, which is SLOW to rip when compared to an internal drive. I like having everything on my PC, then I can put it on a USB stick to put in the car or on my phone or iPods.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:13pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Same here, internal & external backup, but still kept all my CD's. My current phone has a SD slot, but from what I'm seeing, the newer phones don't, which is pretty lame IMO.
I'd be happy to plug in some kind of SSD drive to my phone, but Generalisimo Apple doesn't allow that stuff. Or it's beyond me how to do it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I had some new CD's that I hadn't ripped yet. When I built a new PC last year, I found all the newer cases I liked didn't have the 3.5" drive bay's for optical drives, so I made do with the external USB DVD / CD drive, which is SLOW to rip when compared to an internal drive. I like having everything on my PC, then I can put it on a USB stick to put in the car or on my phone or iPods.
When I replaced my dying iMac a few years ago, I went with a Mac Mini, which was better for my monitor preferences. But they don't come with optical drives, so I bought an external blu-ray. I do so little ripping nowadays—I get maybe a couple physical cd's a year now—that I haven't noticed any slowness. But, yeah, it's great having, like, a year's worth of music on a hard drive. Take that, hipster vinyl people!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I have a samsung and looked at some motorolas that had a slot as well. But yeah they are trying to phase them out because people suck and most people like sucky music and are happy to just stream whatever fucking crap that comes along

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:48pm
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I have a samsung and looked at some motorolas that had a slot as well. But yeah they are trying to phase them out because people suck and most people are content with sucky music and are happy to just stream whatever fucking crap that comes along
Hello,

I'm generally agreed with this but made a slight edit.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:43pm
Sparky wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 9:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

When I replaced my dying iMac a few years ago, I went with a Mac Mini, which was better for my monitor preferences. But they don't come with optical drives, so I bought an external blu-ray. I do so little ripping nowadays—I get maybe a couple physical cd's a year now—that I haven't noticed any slowness. But, yeah, it's great having, like, a year's worth of music on a hard drive. Take that, hipster vinyl people!
The slowness is because I cheaped out and didn't buy a high speed external CD / DVD burner. USB is a bit of a bottleneck when compared to SATA, but for how few CD's I rip, it works.