I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I have no idea what you rueful people are talking about. Gloves are for jerking off strangers.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 9:21pm
Speaking of scar tissue (sort of)
Damn, it's getting all Blessed Decade up in this boffin

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 8:51pm
I have a vague recollection of those late 70s computer kits. A friend had one. A whole lot of colour-coded pegs that you attached wires between and the like is what stands out. Not that the result did much. Very very geeky at that point.
I don’t remember anything about color coded pegs. This is what my dad built around 1978-79 – the Heathkit H8 computer, released in 1977.

Heathkit H8a.jpg
Heathkit H8a.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

By chance I found a box in the basement with some of the old controller boards the old man put together. My dad’s handiwork from 43 years ago. Might be worth something as it was one of the earlier home computer kits.

Heathkit H8b.jpg
Heathkit H8b.jpg (202.24 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Heathkit H8c.jpg
Heathkit H8c.jpg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

BostonBeaneater

Kimmelweck wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 9:51pm
By chance I found a box in the basement with some of the old controller boards the old man put together. My dad’s handiwork from 43 years ago. Might be worth something as it was one of the earlier home computer kits.

Heathkit H8b.jpg

Heathkit H8c.jpg
Preserve those! That is palpable history.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 11:25pm
Preserve those! That is palpable history.
Yup. I remember well before the internet as we know it my dad had this thing hooked up to our old rotary phone and he’d be typing back and forth with people around the country. Early 80s. I still call him when I have computer problems.

I was watching some videos on youtube where a guy in Australia was collecting old electronics off the curb on trash day. He was picking up some really cool vintage computer stuff worth thousands. People would throw it out thinking it was obsolete junk.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 9:29pm
I have no idea what you rueful people are talking about. Gloves are for jerking off strangers.
BostonBeaneater: Buys gloves in bulk.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 6:19am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Property in Connecticut doesn't come cheap

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 7:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
"Will jerk for property taxes"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 8:18am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 8:18am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That's definitely for New England WASPs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Update: I can't even get the case open for the iPod—various guides refer to a mysterious "plastic tool" that I neither possess nor can identify—so I'm licked before even consideration of soldering. So I guess I'll take them to a shop to get the batteries replaced. I blame Yoko.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 1:18pm
Update: I can't even get the case open for the iPod—various guides refer to a mysterious "plastic tool" that I neither possess nor can identify—so I'm licked before even consideration of soldering. So I guess I'll take them to a shop to get the batteries replaced. I blame Yoko.
Yeah those stupid things. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate apple products? Because I do I really hate nearly everything about them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah those stupid things. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate apple products? Because I do I really hate nearly everything about them.
Well, sure, but I'm not sure any other comparable device would be any easier to open. Generally all electronic devices suck.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 2:38pm
revbob wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well, sure, but I'm not sure any other comparable device would be any easier to open. Generally all electronic devices suck.
Hello,

If you're just going to replace the battery, try a cell phone shop. A lot of those strip mall-type place have people that are pretty creative and many will do anything for a buck (Larry, Daryl, and Daryl reference).