I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:31pm
Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 2:57pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 2:18pm
Doing some more reading, it seems dubious to even unsolder it for removal. From what I gather, Apple does that to achieve extra thinness on their laptops (the Airs, anyway).
I will never purchase an Apple product.
If I were getting my first computer, I'd be hard-pressed to go to Apple. Once upon a time (like, 1991 or so), yeah, the ease of use compared to DOS and early Windows was persuasive to me. But the user experience just isn't that significant. My brother in law, a Windows guy, asked me around five years ago whether he should get an iPad or a Surface. I told him Surface because he's already comfortable with Windows. There's nothing about Apple that encourages switching unless you're status/hype oriented. Comfort with what you know makes sense to me.
Don't Apple purchases come with a beret and lifetime Starbucks preferred customer card? :mrgreen:
No, that would have actual material value.
Hello,

We got my son a Surface. It a really good machine. I've never been an Apple fan. I have an Ipad because Dartfish products used to only be used on a Ipad - but I'm over it now.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

If I were getting my first computer, I'd be hard-pressed to go to Apple. Once upon a time (like, 1991 or so), yeah, the ease of use compared to DOS and early Windows was persuasive to me. But the user experience just isn't that significant. My brother in law, a Windows guy, asked me around five years ago whether he should get an iPad or a Surface. I told him Surface because he's already comfortable with Windows. There's nothing about Apple that encourages switching unless you're status/hype oriented. Comfort with what you know makes sense to me.
Don't Apple purchases come with a beret and lifetime Starbucks preferred customer card? :mrgreen:
Hello,

We got my son a Surface. It a really good machine. I've never been an Apple fan. I have an Ipad because Dartfish products used to only be used on a Ipad - but I'm over it now.
Admittedly we have 3 iPads and who knows how many iPod Nano's, just haven't taken the plunge for an iMac or Airbook yet. Quite a few family members swear by theirs, I'm just too set in my Windows ways I guess.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:43pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Admittedly we have 3 iPads and who knows how many iPod Nano's, just haven't taken the plunge for an iMac or Airbook yet. Quite a few family members swear by theirs, I'm just too set in my Windows ways I guess.
Hello,

I never had an Ipod. I'm pretty much anti-Apple - so much that I had 2 80gb Zunes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Doing some more reading, it seems dubious to even unsolder it for removal. From what I gather, Apple does that to achieve extra thinness on their laptops (the Airs, anyway).
You can still get all the fun of dos with a nice, user unfriendly Linux distro! Bunch of stuff you want to use won't work too!
Ubuntu and some of the other distros are pretty good to work with but you have to be willing to take on the challenge when something doesnt work/stops working.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:45pm
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

I never had an Ipod. I'm pretty much anti-Apple - so much that I had 2 80gb Zunes.
I actually like the Nano's so much, I went out and bought a couple of them as soon as I heard they were discontinuing them, still have at least one still in the box.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:46pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You can still get all the fun of dos with a nice, user unfriendly Linux distro! Bunch of stuff you want to use won't work too!
Ubuntu and some of the other distros are pretty good to work with but you have to be willing to take on the challenge when something doesnt work/stops working.
I used to enjoy messing around with different Linux distros, and I had a "secondary" computer of mine running Ubuntu for a while because it could really wring some last bit of performance and usefulness out of an old desktop I wanted to keep using. philosophically I love open source and whatnot, but as my free time vanishes more and more every year the amount of time I want to spend fiddling on software approaches zero (and I used to do that stuff for fun!).

Addendum: it's also telling that most of the "real" Linux users I knew were quite snotty about Ubuntu and preferred bragging about their arcane.command-line-heavy distros. All just gatekeeping to keep the normies away.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:52pm
gkbill wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:45pm
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

I actually like the Nano's so much, I went out and bought a couple of them as soon as I heard they were discontinuing them, still have at least one still in the box.
I still use an old Touch for music and audio books, but it's more than is needed really. Something like a Nano would be just fine, but it's all discontinued anyway so a moot point.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

For a while they were making iPods with a Wolfson dac, those are still pretty coveted with audiophile types. There's a secondary market of folks who refurb them with larger hard drives and install rockbox on them and whatnot.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 5:03pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:46pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I used to enjoy messing around with different Linux distros, and I had a "secondary" computer of mine running Ubuntu for a while because it could really wring some last bit of performance and usefulness out of an old desktop I wanted to keep using. philosophically I love open source and whatnot, but as my free time vanishes more and more every year the amount of time I want to spend fiddling on software approaches zero (and I used to do that stuff for fun!).

Addendum: it's also telling that most of the "real" Linux users I knew were quite snotty about Ubuntu and preferred bragging about their arcane.command-line-heavy distros. All just gatekeeping to keep the normies away.
Yeah very much the same experience all around. I did get pretty handy wth the cli but would hve still been considered a novice to the snobs. I use other linux based cli's with very specific command sets and I do appreciate the granularity I can achieve with them vs pointing and right clicking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A reply-all shitstorm going on right now with my union (representing sessional instructors). Some bozo who is having an issue with administration decided to contact the union about their problem, but for tragic reasons used an address that emails everyone on the listserv. This was last evening. Since then—and it's still going on—dozens and dozens of people have been replying-all about either not knowing how to address the person's problem or asking to be removed from the list. I've largely just been deleting everything without reading, but noted only two people write anything sensible. One person all-caps screamed, "Stop replying all!" And the other put it better: "You people all have PhDs. How are you so incompetent with this?" Astounding that three full decades into common email use that so many people don't understand the etiquette of reply-all.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 8:55am
A reply-all shitstorm going on right now with my union (representing sessional instructors). Some bozo who is having an issue with administration decided to contact the union about their problem, but for tragic reasons used an address that emails everyone on the listserv. This was last evening. Since then—and it's still going on—dozens and dozens of people have been replying-all about either not knowing how to address the person's problem or asking to be removed from the list. I've largely just been deleting everything without reading, but noted only two people write anything sensible. One person all-caps screamed, "Stop replying all!" And the other put it better: "You people all have PhDs. How are you so incompetent with this?" Astounding that three full decades into common email use that so many people don't understand the etiquette of reply-all.
Please remove me from this list.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 9:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Please remove me from this list.
I ended up creating a spam rule so that everything about that shitstorm would just get sent straight to the bin. How any of those morons can tie their own shoes let alone obtain an advanced degree is beyond me.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
"You people all have PhDs. How are you so incompetent with this?"
The first sentence in the message answers the second pretty nicely imho :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The first sentence in the message answers the second pretty nicely imho :shifty:
Sadly, yes. I've often said that most people with doctorates couldn't get a job pushing a broom because their competence in that sub-sub-sub-field has come at the expense of everything else.

(I once worked as a janitor, so I'm clearly an alpha.)

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 9:46am
Flex wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sadly, yes. I've often said that most people with doctorates couldn't get a job pushing a broom because their competence in that sub-sub-sub-field has come at the expense of everything else.

(I once worked as a janitor, so I'm clearly an alpha.)
Hello,

I have more than one colleague who would screw stuff like this up and then, when pointed out, would act like "Oh, it's just email...these rules are so pedestrian! ".