I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:40pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:07pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 3:20pm

No frozen pipes or anything here, tho some windows are frosted over quite a bit. The furnace hasn't taken a break since I woke up and it just recently cracked 20º C in the house. I've been running a space heater near me to counter the effects. I rode the bike this morning mostly to generate a sweat and get my blood moving. But, yeah, the worst is over, with the temperature moving upwards since this morning. Supposedly by mid-afternoon tomorrow we'll be hitting melting (like, a 35 degree swing in one day).
Yesterday was pretty dang cold here, around 7 degrees (F), but my heat was working fine in the house. It’ll be a high around 27F today. Tomorrow it’ll be up to 42F, and then I’m looking at highs in the mid-30s to mid-40s for the next 2 weeks, similar to much of January. Aside from yesterday, we’ve been way above normal temps since the new year.

My upstairs kitchen sink pipes used to freeze up periodically and I’d have to let the faucet drip overnight if it was going to be very cold. About 15 years ago though, one of the sink pipes burst so I replaced both pipes (hot and cold) with flexible pvc-type pipe (mostly because it was the easiest thing to thread through the wall myself, from the upstairs down to the basement) and I haven’t had a freeze-up or had to do the overnight drip thing at my sink since.
A few years back our kitchen sink pipes froze up. They were flexible pvc, but they were placed to close to the outside wall with inadequate insulation. So a plumber relocated those pipes farther from the wall in the basement.
Yeah now that you mention it, I guess it was shortly after I replaced the pipes that we had the house sided and replaced the insulation, so that probably plays the larger role in preventing freeze-ups.

I got new energy efficient windows about 8 years ago, and what a huge difference that has made. The place stays much warmer now. The old windows in my upstairs apartment were from the 1930s, and holy shit the whole house would rattle when it was windy. Nothing but peace and quiet now.
That was our house in Sasktoon. All old, energy-inefficient windows. No problems like that here. We have an enclosed upstairs porch, windows all around, insulation top and floor. There's no direct heat to the space, only the circulation of the air. And yet it never gets cold there. High quality windows and proper insulation makes all the difference.
I found the area where the pipes were not frozen all the way but no doubt where the problem was. The waterflow thru that zone must have been just a trickle.

And my car battery is dead.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:44pm
The Boss and a friend drove to Kingston yesterday to meet another friend—I suggested cancelling, but the room had been paid for already so there was pressure to go—and the car battery was dead this morning.

Damn, I want to retire to an island in the south Pacific and just wait for the ocean to ride and let me drown.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
Do you have a garage, or do you park outside?
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:22pm
revbob wrote:
Yes and yes.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:35pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yes and yes.
Reason I ask is, for the last 5+ years I’ve had to jump start my jeep (which is 18 years old) about every 3-5 days if I haven’t been driving much. Total pain in the ass, and though it happens in the summer too it’s much worse in the winter. My mechanic could never figure out the problem (battery was fine, starter was fine, alternator fine), but it must be something draining the battery. I thought it might be my remote starter but when I stopped by his shop in mid-December to ask him to remove it, he didn’t think the remote starter was causing the issue, and he recommended a battery tender. So I got a 3 amp Deltran Battery Tender from Autozone. I had 4 old car batteries in my garage, and Autozone gave me $10 store credit for each one, so I got the $70 battery tender for $30.

In the 20+ years I’ve lived at this house, I’ve never kept my vehicles in the garage (which is unheated), but the last 7 weeks or so, I’ve been parking in the garage so I can plug in the battery tender and connect it to my battery after every drive – takes 30 seconds. It’s a tight squeeze to get into the garage, but I haven’t had to jump it once since I started using the tender, and it starts better than usual, even when it’s been sitting for several days in freezing temps. Gets the battery to 100% and then goes into a float mode. Ordinarily, I’d probably have had to jump it 10 times or more over the same period. Wish I’d known about the battery tender years ago because it's paid for itself already. If you have a recurring issue with a dead battery in cold temps, maybe it's something to consider.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yes and yes.
To those of us who have followed your Fred-Flintstone-locked-out-of-the-house exploits, we all know you have a garage. :lol:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:54pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yes and yes.
Reason I ask is, for the last 5+ years I’ve had to jump start my jeep (which is 18 years old) about every 3-5 days if I haven’t been driving much. Total pain in the ass, and though it happens in the summer too it’s much worse in the winter. My mechanic could never figure out the problem (battery was fine, starter was fine, alternator fine), but it must be something draining the battery. I thought it might be my remote starter but when I stopped by his shop in mid-December to ask him to remove it, he didn’t think the remote starter was causing the issue, and he recommended a battery tender. So I got a 3 amp Deltran Battery Tender from Autozone. I had 4 old car batteries in my garage, and Autozone gave me $10 store credit for each one, so I got the $70 battery tender for $30.

In the 20+ years I’ve lived at this house, I’ve never kept my vehicles in the garage (which is unheated), but the last 7 weeks or so, I’ve been parking in the garage so I can plug in the battery tender and connect it to my battery after every drive – takes 30 seconds. It’s a tight squeeze to get into the garage, but I haven’t had to jump it once since I started using the tender, and it starts better than usual, even when it’s been sitting for several days in freezing temps. Gets the battery to 100% and then goes into a float mode. Ordinarily, I’d probably have had to jump it 10 times or more over the same period. Wish I’d known about the battery tender years ago because it's paid for itself already. If you have a recurring issue with a dead battery in cold temps, maybe it's something to consider.
My wife's car is in the garage along with a snowblower and sme other shit that prevents me putting my car in. This battery was on its last legs and if I was thinking I would have gotten it replaced earlier in the week. Sometime last year it was in for some work and the bill for that was close to $1000. And then they said you should probably replace your battery too, which was going to be another $250. I said fuck it and 6 months later here I am.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:44pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:54pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yes and yes.

My wife's car is in the garage along with a snowblower and sme other shit that prevents me putting my car in. This battery was on its last legs and if I was thinking I would have gotten it replaced earlier in the week. Sometime last year it was in for some work and the bill for that was close to $1000. And then they said you should probably replace your battery too, which was going to be another $250. I said fuck it and 6 months later here I am.
Ah that’s cool if it’s a simple matter of getting a new battery. My jeep is old but I’m trying to get a couple more years out of it and waiting for used car prices to come down before I get another vehicle. The battery tender is allowing me to get by without having to spend a ton on the electronics to find the cause of the battery drain. Saving gas and time too because I no longer have to drive the thing around for a bit after jumping it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

How would I go about converting a WordPad document (it's a CV) to a PDF file? Bearing in mind I don't want to spend any money on Adobe Acrobat. Thanks boffins.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 4:18pm
How would I go about converting a WordPad document (it's a CV) to a PDF file? Bearing in mind I don't want to spend any money on Adobe Acrobat. Thanks boffins.
If you're using Windows 10, choose print and on the printer menu where you would select your printer, choose "Save as PDF".
Attachments
Save As PDF.jpg
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
If you're using Windows 10, choose print and on the printer menu where you would select your printer, choose "Save as PDF".
What Sparky said but Wordpad blows. I would use Google Docs. Im pretty sure that allows you to convert to pdf iN THE app or just print to pdf like Sparky said

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 4:44pm
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
What Sparky said but Wordpad blows. I would use Google Docs. Im pretty sure that allows you to convert to pdf iN THE app or just print to pdf like Sparky said
Hello,

What these two say is good advice. I use this function frequently. It's easy and it works.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
Windows 7 unfortunately. I don't get the options in your screenshot. Cheers though Sparky.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Heston wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 5:48pm
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
Windows 7 unfortunately. I don't get the options in your screenshot. Cheers though Sparky.
You might try this link:

https://pdf.wondershare.com/how-to/conv ... o-pdf.html

Scroll down to about the middle of the page, Part 3 – How to Convert Wordpad to PDF Online, and there are some instructions and steps that will lead you to a link (HiPDF). I’ve never used it, but it sounds like it should allow you to convert Wordpad to PDF online by dragging and dropping your file. Something to try anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 5:48pm
Sparky wrote:
Heston wrote:
There are plenty of online services that freely convert documents. Just google "convert to pdf" and that should burp up some options.