I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by revbob »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Heston wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 2:10am
Sparky wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 8:28pm
Heston wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 6:40pm
Anyone know a good fix for the black screen of death on my laptop? Tried the instructions on Google to no avail.
Do you happen to know if it has an integrated or dedicated graphics card? Sounds like what I experienced with my older Nvidia 8600M GT when it started to fail.
Not sure to be honest. It's just a Toshiba satellite I bought about 4 years ago.
I think revbob's directions to confirm the display graphics issue is probably the best bet.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My siblings still think I'm some kind of computer expert because of Commodore 64 in the 80s. If they only knew how often I have to ask the Boss for helping doing basic shit with this stupid iPhone. There was a moment in time when I went from being competent to mystified by tech, but long ago it was I can't say.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Thanks everyone. I'll read through those links and report back.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 1:00pm
This one really hits home for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 1:00pm
That sounds about right. I've installed remote access software on both of my parents computers so I can log in from my house to see just what they're having issues with.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

How's the laptop Heston?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Not a request for help but a comment. So, over a period of time my internal network—all the computers in the house—just went to complete fuck. Super slow, difficult to connect, sometimes only 5G would work, sometimes only 2.4G would work, transfers between computers was absurdly slow. Couldn't figure out what the hell was happening, but suspected our modem was fucked. But I did some research online and the advice was to, in essence, trash the pref files for the Macs on the network and let them create new ones. Voila. Everything is back to normal. So, when in doubt, trash them preferences.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Woke up to a 50 something degree house this morning. We have baseboard hot water as our primary heat source. Upstairs is recovering fine but 1st floor ain't budging without the help of the heat pump amd gas fireplace. I think I need more hair dryers. Pipes arent frozen but the flow is pretty low Id say. Luckily we've got a warming trend coming. Ill need to revisit some insulation in a few areas. We had some work done in the house this past fall and Im thinking that is a contributing factor as we've had similar and perhaps worse cold spells i the 20+ years we've been in this house.

How are the rest of my cold weather homies doing?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 2:31pm
Woke up to a 50 something degree house this morning. We have baseboard hot water as our primary heat source. Upstairs is recovering fine but 1st floor ain't budging without the help of the heat pump amd gas fireplace. I think I need more hair dryers. Pipes arent frozen but the flow is pretty low Id say. Luckily we've got a warming trend coming. Ill need to revisit some insulation in a few areas. We had some work done in the house this past fall and Im thinking that is a contributing factor as we've had similar and perhaps worse cold spells i the 20+ years we've been in this house.

No frozen pipes or anything here, tho some windows are frosted over quite a bit. The furnace hasn't taken a break since I woke up and it just recently cracked 20º C in the house. I've been running a space heater near me to counter the effects. I rode the bike this morning mostly to generate a sweat and get my blood moving. But, yeah, the worst is over, with the temperature moving upwards since this morning. Supposedly by mid-afternoon tomorrow we'll be hitting melting (like, a 35 degree swing in one day).

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 3:20pm
revbob wrote:

No frozen pipes or anything here, tho some windows are frosted over quite a bit. The furnace hasn't taken a break since I woke up and it just recently cracked 20º C in the house. I've been running a space heater near me to counter the effects. I rode the bike this morning mostly to generate a sweat and get my blood moving. But, yeah, the worst is over, with the temperature moving upwards since this morning. Supposedly by mid-afternoon tomorrow we'll be hitting melting (like, a 35 degree swing in one day).
Yesterday was pretty dang cold here, around 7 degrees (F), but my heat was working fine in the house. It’ll be a high around 27F today. Tomorrow it’ll be up to 42F, and then I’m looking at highs in the mid-30s to mid-40s for the next 2 weeks, similar to much of January. Aside from yesterday, we’ve been way above normal temps since the new year.

My upstairs kitchen sink pipes used to freeze up periodically and I’d have to let the faucet drip overnight if it was going to be very cold. About 15 years ago though, one of the sink pipes burst so I replaced both pipes (hot and cold) with flexible pvc-type pipe (mostly because it was the easiest thing to thread through the wall myself, from the upstairs down to the basement) and I haven’t had a freeze-up or had to do the overnight drip thing at my sink since.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yesterday was pretty dang cold here, around 7 degrees (F), but my heat was working fine in the house. It’ll be a high around 27F today. Tomorrow it’ll be up to 42F, and then I’m looking at highs in the mid-30s to mid-40s for the next 2 weeks, similar to much of January. Aside from yesterday, we’ve been way above normal temps since the new year.

My upstairs kitchen sink pipes used to freeze up periodically and I’d have to let the faucet drip overnight if it was going to be very cold. About 15 years ago though, one of the sink pipes burst so I replaced both pipes (hot and cold) with flexible pvc-type pipe (mostly because it was the easiest thing to thread through the wall myself, from the upstairs down to the basement) and I haven’t had a freeze-up or had to do the overnight drip thing at my sink since.
A few years back our kitchen sink pipes froze up. They were flexible pvc, but they were placed to close to the outside wall with inadequate insulation. So a plumber relocated those pipes farther from the wall in the basement.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:07pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

A few years back our kitchen sink pipes froze up. They were flexible pvc, but they were placed to close to the outside wall with inadequate insulation. So a plumber relocated those pipes farther from the wall in the basement.
Yeah now that you mention it, I guess it was shortly after I replaced the pipes that we had the house sided and replaced the insulation, so that probably plays the larger role in preventing freeze-ups.

I got new energy efficient windows about 8 years ago, and what a huge difference that has made. The place stays much warmer now. The old windows in my upstairs apartment were from the 1930s, and holy shit the whole house would rattle when it was windy. Nothing but peace and quiet now.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 4:07pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yeah now that you mention it, I guess it was shortly after I replaced the pipes that we had the house sided and replaced the insulation, so that probably plays the larger role in preventing freeze-ups.

I got new energy efficient windows about 8 years ago, and what a huge difference that has made. The place stays much warmer now. The old windows in my upstairs apartment were from the 1930s, and holy shit the whole house would rattle when it was windy. Nothing but peace and quiet now.
That was our house in Sasktoon. All old, energy-inefficient windows. No problems like that here. We have an enclosed upstairs porch, windows all around, insulation top and floor. There's no direct heat to the space, only the circulation of the air. And yet it never gets cold there. High quality windows and proper insulation makes all the difference.