I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 3:57pm
Im so glad I dont wok with end users. They are mostly terrible especially in an educational setting. Also users in general do what they are told they shouldn't and then act surprised or blameless when something goes wrong.
I also realize I forgot to mention that this obvious frustration with end users reminds me a lot of how I felt having to deal with voters. Another group of people who like to fuck everything up as much as possible and then blame you when things go wrong. :twitch:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 5:25pm
revbob wrote:
Im so glad I dont wok with end users. They are mostly terrible especially in an educational setting. Also users in general do what they are told they shouldn't and then act surprised or blameless when something goes wrong.
I also realize I forgot to mention that this obvious frustration with end users reminds me a lot of how I felt having to deal with voters. Another group of people who like to fuck everything up as much as possible and then blame you when things go wrong. :twitch:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 3:14pm
Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 2:49pm
I should add that I'm actually pretty sympathetic to IT departments too, whining above aside. Trying to implement standardized protocols across what are often a huge spectrum of devices - and dealing with as many different sorts of people - is pretty challenging. And when it comes to security, a combination of user ineptitude and always increasingly sophisticated methodsmof attack, don't make things easier.
The latter is something I do sympathize with them over. Academics are, fancy degrees and titles aside, some of the most clueless people alive. That they might be sloppy with security doesn’t surprise me.
You accessing your phone via a pin or whatever is also not the same as an app on your phone accessing the email server.
I'm not sure I'm following you here. Are you suggesting that this new security hoo-ha is actually about getting everyone using Outlook?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 7:14pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I should add that I'm actually pretty sympathetic to IT departments too, whining above aside. Trying to implement standardized protocols across what are often a huge spectrum of devices - and dealing with as many different sorts of people - is pretty challenging. And when it comes to security, a combination of user ineptitude and always increasingly sophisticated methodsmof attack, don't make things easier.
The latter is something I do sympathize with them over. Academics are, fancy degrees and titles aside, some of the most clueless people alive. That they might be sloppy with security doesn’t surprise me.
You accessing your phone via a pin or whatever is also not the same as an app on your phone accessing the email server.
I'm not sure I'm following you here. Are you suggesting that this new security hoo-ha is actually about getting everyone using Outlook?
Maybe, chances are good that your mailserver is also a Microsoft product and outlook and exchange tend to play well together.

Control and standardization are key factors in IT security. Each variable is a potential attack vector you need to account for, its a different vendor that needs to provide patches, a different vendor that you need to get support from. Even if it isnt a security issue sometimes just interoperability is important. You update something and something else breaks but maybe just for some users then you have to spend lots of time to get things working all because some people like to think themselves special and "need" their fill in the blank, or want some exception usually not because it makes them more productive just more comfortable in their specialness.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Maybe, chances are good that your mailserver is also a Microsoft product and outlook and exchange tend to play well together.

Control and standardization are key factors in IT security. Each variable is a potential attack vector you need to account for, its a different vendor that needs to provide patches, a different vendor that you need to get support from. Even if it isnt a security issue sometimes just interoperability is important. You update something and something else breaks but maybe just for some users then you have to spend lots of time to get things working all because some people like to think themselves special and "need" their fill in the blank, or want some exception usually not because it makes them more productive just more comfortable in their specialness.
If that's the case—and given that this whole hoo-ha revolves around MS products, I'd say it's more likely than not—I'd sure appreciate being told that straight-up. Give me the honest argument and let me respond in kind. As I said, if they want to issue me a work phone because of that, fine, I'll play their game. But otherwise, equally fine, I won't be available via my personal phone or tablet. But they don't get to force me to do shit on the stuff I paid for.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 8:38pm
If that's the case—and given that this whole hoo-ha revolves around MS products, I'd say it's more likely than not—I'd sure appreciate being told that straight-up. Give me the honest argument and let me respond in kind. As I said, if they want to issue me a work phone because of that, fine, I'll play their game. But otherwise, equally fine, I won't be available via my personal phone or tablet. But they don't get to force me to do shit on the stuff I paid for.
I'm waiting for the twist in this story that all of these rules are being implemented to target Doc, specifically.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I agree. I was told I had to be in an "on call rotation". I wouldn't do it without being given a phone for those few weeks a year. I know some employers will provide a monthly stipend for a phone. I dont want that, if the phone breaks or has some issue the onus is on me to get it corrected plus yeah I want to use my personal phone for whatever I want and work isnt that. Give me a phone or dont expect me to be available off hours. If Im not on call that phone goes to silent mode and is left in my backpack or another room when Im not working.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 8:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm waiting for the twist in this story that all of these rules are being implemented to target Doc, specifically.
Oh geez dont give him a bigger head than he already has (college professors in their ivory towers).

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 8:56pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh geez dont give him a bigger head than he already has (college professors in their ivory towers).
He was getting too close to the truth! He had to be stopped!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 8:56pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm a sessional. My status is lower than undergrads (tuition $), but higher than grad students (cheap labour). Not that I really care. All I ask of life is to be left the fuck alone to do my work.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I don't trust Microsoft as far as I can spit. They've been tracking people for decades through their software. They change settings you made that shut their crap off with every new forced update, they are so sneakily underhanded at promoting their own stuff within their own stuff, I just wish I was adept enough to say F you and run linux and to hell with them. Alas ....

I do not think there is any guaranteed way to keep any device "secure" that isn't hard-wired into a closed network, which means that it can still be hacked, just not by anyone outside of the closed private network. Anything can be hacked. It would seem to me that all you can do is put in as many layers of authentication as possible, making it more difficult and time-consuming to hack. But if someone really really wanted to hack, they could. I'm no tech expert by any means but it does seem pretty much a losing battle. I also would not keep sensitive data like say personal records data on the same domain as research data like books etc.. It seems to me the reason sensitive data can be hacked or stolen by outside actors in the first place is that it is kept on domains that anyone can access and therefore hack, no? But what do I know.

I would also say that if an employer didn't provide the hardware they wanted me to use set up the way they wanted it set up, i'd tell them to go f themselves. Then head to the unemployment offices.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 8:57pm
I don't trust Microsoft as far as I can spit. They've been tracking people for decades through their software. They change settings you made that shut their crap off with every new forced update, they are so sneakily underhanded at promoting their own stuff within their own stuff, I just wish I was adept enough to say F you and run linux and to hell with them. Alas ....
Ive run Ubuntu in the past. Its GUI is pretty mature but I realize my perspective is different from the average user. There might be some other linux flavors that have surpassed it in terms of being user friendly and easy to adopt.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 9:11pm
weller259 wrote:
Ive run Ubuntu in the past. Its GUI is pretty mature but I realize my perspective is different from the average user. There might be some other linux flavors that have surpassed it in terms of being user friendly and easy to adopt.
I've got an old old copy of Ubuntu but i've never been brave enough to actually try it. I've wanted to since Windows 98, lol. I worry about things like drivers and stuff, i'm not good at BIOS so messing around with that sort of freaks me out. But i'd still like to try it one day and see.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 9:15pm
revbob wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I've got an old old copy of Ubuntu but i've never been brave enough to actually try it. I've wanted to since Windows 98, lol. I worry about things like drivers and stuff, i'm not good at BIOS so messing around with that sort of freaks me out. But i'd still like to try it one day and see.
The easiest way to dip your toes in the water is to run it off a USB stick/drive. You boot off it but can always revert back to Wnders whenever you want without making any changed to the computer.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 9:20pm
weller259 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 9:15pm
revbob wrote:
weller259 wrote:
The easiest way to dip your toes in the water is to run it off a USB stick/drive. You boot off it but can always revert back to Wnders whenever you want without making any changed to the computer.
That sounds like a good idea, thank you rev!