I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Doing some more research, fucking Apple has thwarted my plan to cannibalize the storage drive in the dead Mac. They solder the drive right into the board. It's still possible to remove, of course, but that's getting to be more work than I want to pursue. On the other hand, tho, I'm wary now of turning the thing in for recycling given that that drive is sitting there with my shit on it.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 10:19am
Doing some more research, fucking Apple has thwarted my plan to cannibalize the storage drive in the dead Mac. They solder the drive right into the board. It's still possible to remove, of course, but that's getting to be more work than I want to pursue. On the other hand, tho, I'm wary now of turning the thing in for recycling given that that drive is sitting there with my shit on it.
Well that blows, so even if the machine was working and you just wanted more storage, you'd have to ship it to Apple to have it upgraded?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't know Macs well and don't use them because of bullshit like this. You're too stupid to do anything out of the bounds of what we will allow seems to be their motto.

That said you can probably create an external bootable USB drive (dont use the one I sent you) which might allow you to access the data on that drive.

Does the old one power up in any way?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 10:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well that blows, so even if the machine was working and you just wanted more storage, you'd have to ship it to Apple to have it upgraded?
Yup. Or some third-party that knows what they're doing.
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 10:28am
I don't know Macs well and don't use them because of bullshit like this. You're too stupid to do anything out of the bounds of what we will allow seems to be their motto.

That said you can probably create an external bootable USB drive (dont use the one I sent you) which might allow you to access the data on that drive.

It powers up to the log-in stage most of the time and then shuts down. I don't need to access anything off it as I had a back-up, which I've restored onto the new one. My hope was to remove the old one, wipe it, get an enclosure, and use it as another portable drive. But if I can't remove the old one, all I want to do is erase the one in there before I take it to a computer recycling place.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 10:35am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

It powers up to the log-in stage most of the time and then shuts down. I don't need to access anything off it as I had a back-up, which I've restored onto the new one. My hope was to remove the old one, wipe it, get an enclosure, and use it as another portable drive. But if I can't remove the old one, all I want to do is erase the one in there before I take it to a computer recycling place.
Oh you have nothing to lose by unsoldering it then. If you cant re-use, drill holes in it or smash it to (sorry for the pun) bits.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 10:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Oh you have nothing to lose by unsoldering it then. If you cant re-use, drill holes in it or smash it to (sorry for the pun) bits.
I suppose that's true. A rainy day project, I guess.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 12:01pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Unsoldering is especially easy. Just remember to hold it by the handle. Many years ago while working very late on something I accidentally grabbed one like it was a pen or pencil. You only do that once.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 12:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 12:01pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

revbob wrote:

Unsoldering is especially easy. Just remember to hold it by the handle. Many years ago while working very late on something I accidentally grabbed one like it was a pen or pencil. You only do that once.
Ha! Yes. I haven't soldered anything in years, but you fuck up holding it only once.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Doing some more reading, it seems dubious to even unsolder it for removal. From what I gather, Apple does that to achieve extra thinness on their laptops (the Airs, anyway).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 2:18pm
Doing some more reading, it seems dubious to even unsolder it for removal. From what I gather, Apple does that to achieve extra thinness on their laptops (the Airs, anyway).
I will never purchase an Apple product.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 2:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If I were getting my first computer, I'd be hard-pressed to go to Apple. Once upon a time (like, 1991 or so), yeah, the ease of use compared to DOS and early Windows was persuasive to me. But the user experience just isn't that significant. My brother in law, a Windows guy, asked me around five years ago whether he should get an iPad or a Surface. I told him Surface because he's already comfortable with Windows. There's nothing about Apple that encourages switching unless you're status/hype oriented. Comfort with what you know makes sense to me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 2:57pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If I were getting my first computer, I'd be hard-pressed to go to Apple. Once upon a time (like, 1991 or so), yeah, the ease of use compared to DOS and early Windows was persuasive to me. But the user experience just isn't that significant. My brother in law, a Windows guy, asked me around five years ago whether he should get an iPad or a Surface. I told him Surface because he's already comfortable with Windows. There's nothing about Apple that encourages switching unless you're status/hype oriented. Comfort with what you know makes sense to me.
You can still get all the fun of dos with a nice, user unfriendly Linux distro! Bunch of stuff you want to use won't work too!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You can still get all the fun of dos with a nice, user unfriendly Linux distro! Bunch of stuff you want to use won't work too!
Is there some law of computing that with each new iteration of hardware or software, the user experience gets worse? While new machines always run faster, I find all the new "improvements" make shit worse for getting stuff done. This is especially with software, but even hardware. Part of it, I know, is me having to learn new ways of doing things, but stuff like Word involves far more steps than it did a decade or two ago. That's so much of my disenchantment with Apple. It stood out back in the 80s and 90s for being intuitive to how the average bozo (i.e., me) thinks. It wasn't hard to learn how to do the stuff you wanted. Now, tho, I'm constantly googling solutions for what seem like basic issues. I usually find the answer quickly, mind you, because dozens of other people have the same problem. Anyway, I'm Andy Rooney, good night.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't Apple purchases come with a beret and lifetime Starbucks preferred customer card? :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Don't Apple purchases come with a beret and lifetime Starbucks preferred customer card? :mrgreen:
No, that would have actual material value.