I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 4:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 3:58pm
revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 3:24pm

So youve uploaded your files successfully elsewhere.

Can you try uploading say a 200Mb file? Or even 100Mb?

I sounds like a problem with the aptly named Brightspace.
Yeah, I uploaded the one file to mega.nz for them to examine. No, I haven't tried uploading a smaller sized file. I really don't think that's the issue because it gets hung up at the same percent for both the smaller and larger file, meaning more was uploaded of the larger one (assuming the % being reported is in any way accurate). I assume the issue is distinctly with my Brightspace account as I would they'd have been bombarded with complaints from others about the same problem.
Do you have a colleague who can upload one of your files?
I'm going to try a test on The Boss's account tonight. Just tried uploading a 65MB video and it stalled at 70% like the others.
That's odd. I would also try it on her computer.
Yup. She and I have been talking past each other about all this for the past 20 minutes. She's acting like I'm going thru unnecessary extra steps, but I'm pretty sure she's wrong about where files are stored in the cloud.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Curious update: Much to my surprise, uploading on her computer and her account results in the same stall at exactly 70%. So it's system-wide problem.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 6:18pm
Curious update: Much to my surprise, uploading on her computer and her account results in the same stall at exactly 70%. So it's system-wide problem.
I know you dont have the answer yet but these are good troubleshooting steps. You've eliminated your computer and your account and file size.

Are these web based uploads? If so have you tried a different browser.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 6:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I know you dont have the answer yet but these are good troubleshooting steps. You've eliminated your computer and your account and file size.

Tried different browsers and emptied the cache of my main one. No difference. And, yes, it's a web-based upload.

Additional intriguing* information: So I normally upload the file under the "upload a video" section. Usually works just fine. On a whim, I just tried uploading under the "upload a file" to see what would happen. Made it all the way thru and then processed it as a video. However, I had to change my file name first for uploading to something super basic, then change the file name once it was uploaded. So I was able to get everything done, but it involved a number of extra steps. But it better pinpoints the problem as being in the "upload a video" protocol.

* not really intriguing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 7:18pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Tried different browsers and emptied the cache of my main one. No difference. And, yes, it's a web-based upload.

Additional intriguing* information: So I normally upload the file under the "upload a video" section. Usually works just fine. On a whim, I just tried uploading under the "upload a file" to see what would happen. Made it all the way thru and then processed it as a video. However, I had to change my file name first for uploading to something super basic, then change the file name once it was uploaded. So I was able to get everything done, but it involved a number of extra steps. But it better pinpoints the problem as being in the "upload a video" protocol.

* not really intriguing.
Yeah strange and interesting. I mean if you weren't allowed to upload a certain type of file it shouldn't get 70% it should just be denied outright.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 7:18pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

* not really intriguing.
Yeah strange and interesting. I mean if you weren't allowed to upload a certain type of file it shouldn't get 70% it should just be denied outright.
The file size cap is 2GB, but that's the only restriction I know of. And my uploads are always under 1GB. And the 70% thing means it isn't file size because 70% of 65MB or 400MB is much different. I have zero expectation that IT is going to solve this or even try, so I'm glad that I figured out a work-around, even if it involves a bit more work for me.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if 70% is nothing to do with the file-size but the completion of the entire process.

I.E. when the upload has finished, the entire process is at 70% and the next step is to check MIME type or something and it's getting hung there.

Maybe try with a demo video downloaded from blender.org or something. Something you didn't create yourself (in case it's some codec issue somewhere)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
01 Feb 2022, 10:26am
Just thinking out loud here but I wonder if 70% is nothing to do with the file-size but the completion of the entire process.

I.E. when the upload has finished, the entire process is at 70% and the next step is to check MIME type or something and it's getting hung there.
That's almost certainly what it is because the video size has varied, so a file perhaps being too large isn't the question.
Maybe try with a demo video downloaded from blender.org or something. Something you didn't create yourself (in case it's some codec issue somewhere)
I tried both mp4 and mov files and both have had the same result. And it is an entirely recent development. I upload after every class and it was fine last Tuesday. It only went ker-splat on Thursday.

I sent another email to IT this morning relating what I've learned and my accidental workarounds. Whether they ever reply is doubtful. I expect in a couple weeks I'll receive an automated email saying the incident is closed and asking me if I'm satisfied. But I've got my workaround, so as long as that works, fine, whatever.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

it's boffin time

I'm trying to eke out as much life from my laptop as I can before I have to replace it. One upgrade I want to make that I think will increase its lifespan is swapping out the SSD that it came with for one with much larger capacity. Back when I got this SSDs were much more expensive so this thing was made with a small SSD for basically the operating system and a few apps and then a larger standard hard drive for storage and additional apps. But, I can get a new SSD very affordably now so I think if I could increase capacity it would a) help performance since I'm always bumping up against the capacity limit of the current drive, and b) migrate installation folders over to the SSD from the secondary drive which should improve load time performance of all those apps.

The thing is, and I know this will make real computer folks wince, is I just want to clone my existing drive and copy it onto something new so I can swap 'em out and not have to do a full clean OS install. It's just too much of a pain in the ass and I don't really have the time or energy to start all over right now. So, I guess I'm asking for any recommendations of programs that can clone drive contents from one drive to another as well as any other general tips for success.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 2:13pm
it's boffin time

I'm trying to eke out as much life from my laptop as I can before I have to replace it. One upgrade I want to make that I think will increase its lifespan is swapping out the SSD that it came with for one with much larger capacity. Back when I got this SSDs were much more expensive so this thing was made with a small SSD for basically the operating system and a few apps and then a larger standard hard drive for storage and additional apps. But, I can get a new SSD very affordably now so I think if I could increase capacity it would a) help performance since I'm always bumping up against the capacity limit of the current drive, and b) migrate installation folders over to the SSD from the secondary drive which should improve load time performance of all those apps.

The thing is, and I know this will make real computer folks wince, is I just want to clone my existing drive and copy it onto something new so I can swap 'em out and not have to do a full clean OS install. It's just too much of a pain in the ass and I don't really have the time or energy to start all over right now. So, I guess I'm asking for any recommendations of programs that can clone drive contents from one drive to another as well as any other general tips for success.
You're a Windows person, right? I know of a Mac option, but, well, that probably doesn't help.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 2:28pm
You're a Windows person, right? I know of a Mac option, but, well, that probably doesn't help.
Yeah, Windows person

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 2:13pm
it's boffin time

Most new hard drives & SSD's come with cloning software. The last few I've cloned we Samsung's & Crucial, no issues at all. Just follow the instructions, most have videos on their site or YT.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex

Post by Flex »

Sparky wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 2:38pm
Most new hard drives & SSD's come with cloning software. The last few I've cloned we Samsung's & Crucial, no issues at all. Just follow the instructions, most have videos on their site or YT.
Ah, perfect.

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 2:56pm
Sparky wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 2:38pm
Ah, perfect.
Here's a link to Samsung's website with detailed instructions and screen shots for their program called "Data Migration".

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/resou ... ion_v6.pdf
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex

Post by Flex »

Well, got the new drive, cloned my data and tried to do a straight swap but no matter what Windows just wouldn't work. Ended up doing a fresh install - it's not so bad, since I kept most of my stuff on another drive anyways it's just a matter of some software reinstallations. Honestly, I always forget how nice it is to do a clean sweep every once in a while. Since the goal of all this is to coax some more life out of my laptop, it's a good exercise anyways.

Pex Lives!