I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 4:18pm
Well, got the new drive, cloned my data and tried to do a straight swap but no matter what Windows just wouldn't work. Ended up doing a fresh install - it's not so bad, since I kept most of my stuff on another drive anyways it's just a matter of some software reinstallations. Honestly, I always forget how nice it is to do a clean sweep every once in a while. Since the goal of all this is to coax some more life out of my laptop, it's a good exercise anyways.
That sucks. Oh well, fresh install is always nice, it's just that updating all my programs and configuring all my settings etc. is a PITA.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question for those who might have this set-up in their cars. The Boss needs a new phone holder. She likes the kind with aa gooseneck that plugs into the cigarette lighter (as opposed to those that clip onto a vent or use suction mounts). I've suggested that it'd also be good to have one that acts as a wireless charger. But the only kinds that I've found that do all that use a magnet to hold the phone. For that to work—to hold the phone and to charge—do you have to dispense with a skin?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 9:35pm
Question for those who might have this set-up in their cars. The Boss needs a new phone holder. She likes the kind with aa gooseneck that plugs into the cigarette lighter (as opposed to those that clip onto a vent or use suction mounts). I've suggested that it'd also be good to have one that acts as a wireless charger. But the only kinds that I've found that do all that use a magnet to hold the phone. For that to work—to hold the phone and to charge—do you have to dispense with a skin?
Ive never seen one that does both but I would think that as long as your case isn't too thick it would hold ok and not interfere with charging.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Mar 2022, 10:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ive never seen one that does both but I would think that as long as your case isn't too thick it would hold ok and not interfere with charging.
It seems like it should work, given that QI charging works thru thin cases, but the lack of explicit acknowledgement that, yes, this will work, is concerning.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 7:09am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It seems like it should work, given that QI charging works thru thin cases, but the lack of explicit acknowledgement that, yes, this will work, is concerning.
So Ive seen magnetic sheets that will stick to the back of your phone or case. It isn't very thick so I could see something like that working.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 9:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So Ive seen magnetic sheets that will stick to the back of your phone or case. It isn't very thick so I could see something like that working.
I did some more googling and searching, and it seems like the only set up that does QI charging and plugs into a cigarette lighter come directly from China. Which makes me wonder why. There are so many combinations to do these things, yet QI, lighter socket, gooseneck is superduper rare.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 9:57am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I did some more googling and searching, and it seems like the only set up that does QI charging and plugs into a cigarette lighter come directly from China. Which makes me wonder why. There are so many combinations to do these things, yet QI, lighter socket, gooseneck is superduper rare.
Most newer cars come with USB ports. Time to trade in that old '75 Chevy Vega. Newer cars even have FM radio.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 10:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Most newer cars come with USB ports. Time to trade in that old '75 Chevy Vega. Newer cars even have FM radio.
Ho ho. No, the cigarette lighter socket is where she wants to plug in the holder—to be its base, with a gooseneck that leads up to where you attach the phone—not clipping to a vent or some kind of suction cup base. Anyway, I gave up and ordered one without QI but instead has a couple usb ports that you can plug charging cables into.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 10:31am
revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 10:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ho ho. No, the cigarette lighter socket is where she wants to plug in the holder—to be its base, with a gooseneck that leads up to where you attach the phone—not clipping to a vent or some kind of suction cup base. Anyway, I gave up and ordered one without QI but instead has a couple usb ports that you can plug charging cables into.
Oh, that makes more sense

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is out in BC right now and her Mac just shuts down by itself shortly after start-up—no warning, no post-start-up explanation. By playing around with things, she's found that disconnecting from wifi solves the problem. Any ideas why a network connection would cause the machine to suddenly power off?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 4:01pm
The Boss is out in BC right now and her Mac just shuts down by itself shortly after start-up—no warning, no post-start-up explanation. By playing around with things, she's found that disconnecting from wifi solves the problem. Any ideas why a network connection would cause the machine to suddenly power off?
So after successful bootup can you renable wifi and run fine?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 5:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Can't say as I haven't heard from her for a few hours (she's been in meetings all day). I'm guessing that she hasn't re-engaged wifi. When she gets back to her hotel and can tap into a different network, I'll get her to try. If it's fine, then that at least confirms that her machine is fine and it's something specific to the wifi where she was having her meeting.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 5:54pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Can't say as I haven't heard from her for a few hours (she's been in meetings all day). I'm guessing that she hasn't re-engaged wifi. When she gets back to her hotel and can tap into a different network, I'll get her to try. If it's fine, then that at least confirms that her machine is fine and it's something specific to the wifi where she was having her meeting.
Yeah normally it shouldn't really matter. Just like your car can drive on pretty muh any road your computer phone etc should be able to connect unless the software in either side has a bug or incompatibility. I dont deal with Macs too often and have never seen anything lke this. Id be curious to know more. Do other users experience the same problem? Presumably it works for most people.
Im assuming this is in a university environment so they should have a fairly well designed wifi network

I would love to see logs on both the computer and the wireless controller and authentication server. It could be an issue with a setting calling for something the wifi network adapter cant handle for some reason. Is the driver for the wifi adapter up to date?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 5:54pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah normally it shouldn't really matter. Just like your car can drive on pretty muh any road your computer phone etc should be able to connect unless the software in either side has a bug or incompatibility. I dont deal with Macs too often and have never seen anything lke this. Id be curious to know more. Do other users experience the same problem? Presumably it works for most people.
Im assuming this is in a university environment so they should have a fairly well designed wifi network

I would love to see logs on both the computer and the wireless controller and authentication server. It could be an issue with a setting calling for something the wifi network adapter cant handle for some reason. Is the driver for the wifi adapter up to date?
Can't say re. the driver. It hasn't been a problem before, so I would assume it's up to date. And, yeah, I can't see why a network connection issue leads to a computer powering down abruptly. The connection crapping out, sure, but that kind of catastrophic response is goofy. If the problem reoccurs on a different wifi network, then, yup, it's something on her machine. She said that there were some IT guys at her meeting, so she'd ask them during a break.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The IT people there were mystified but wondered if the security protocols of our university were fucking with things. I’d be pretty damned pissed off if that were the case, both for making it impossible to use that other network and for causing the computer to crash like that. But we’ll know more when she returns to her hotel.

Edit: No problems on the hotel network. So it’s a UBC thing. Tho what that thing is is a mystery.