I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 9:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 8:45am
Question: Does anybody have experience using a lcd tv as a computer monitor? I've noticed that the price of tv's are much cheaper than the price of comparable-sized monitors, so I'm a bit curious about the experience. I understand there are issues of lagtime in tv, but I'm not a gamer—I use my computer for writing, typical internet goof-offery, and Zoom stuff—so would this be a meaningful concern?
I've used a TV as a monitor in a pinch before, but never for too long. I've always found it somewhat fatiguing on my eyes. This article suggests pixel density may be the culprit: https://www.pcworld.com/article/427564/ ... -know.html

That said, if you are in a situation where you can return it if you don't like it, I'd give it a try.
The thing I'm looking at is a 43" 4K, so based on the article you linked, that would counter the problem listed (if I'm interpreting correctly). It also has a gaming mode to alleviate lag time. Dang, the temptation to dump some of my tax refund on this is appealing. I have two 27" monitors right now, and it's good, but the physical break between the two can be annoying.

Thanks for the feedback!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We went down to the Costco and got the tv. Because it's much better than our current tv (a 2017)—it's one of them thar internet tv's and it's UHD—I decided to test whether the current one works well enough as a monitor so the new one can be our proper tv. And, so far, yeah, it seems just fine. Much more vivid than what I'm used to, definitely, but everything seems properly clear, no blur with text or anything like that. So this might work out better than I thought—upgrading both monitor and tv for less than cost of a new monitor.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Question for the creative types (Kory especially comes to mind). I might be forced to upgrade OSX to 15. I've resisted because doing so means any 32-bit apps will no longer work. But I just bought a new book scanner that requires 15. Odds are I'm just going to return it, but I'm figuring out how easy it'll be to adapt my software situation. I've found replacements for most of the important stuff that I use, but my ancient, pre-subscription-based versions of InDesign and Photoshop will be kaput. Do you know any solid freeware or cheapware alternatives to either?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 3:05pm
Question for the creative types (Kory especially comes to mind). I might be forced to upgrade OSX to 15. I've resisted because doing so means any 32-bit apps will no longer work. But I just bought a new book scanner that requires 15. Odds are I'm just going to return it, but I'm figuring out how easy it'll be to adapt my software situation. I've found replacements for most of the important stuff that I use, but my ancient, pre-subscription-based versions of InDesign and Photoshop will be kaput. Do you know any solid freeware or cheapware alternatives to either?
I'm running Windows, but this article might be helpful.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run ... s-catalina
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm running Windows, but this article might be helpful.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run ... s-catalina
Thanks! I've tried Parallels before to install Windows on my Mac. I found it a bit clumsy. Worst case scenario is that I load an old laptop with 32-bit apps and reserve it for those tasks.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions of the top. One of the things about Adobe being an "industry standard" is that it's pretty much all I use for work so I haven't had much reason/opportunity to look for alternatives. I can do some research among my peers, if you'd like.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 6:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions of the top. One of the things about Adobe being an "industry standard" is that it's pretty much all I use for work so I haven't had much reason/opportunity to look for alternatives. I can do some research among my peers, if you'd like.
Thanks, but don't worry about it. I found a couple substitutes from Affinity that should be good enough for all I use them these days. If I need actual Adobe, I can use that old laptop. I'm upgrading to Catalina as we speak.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

New question! Because of the big ol' os upgrade, I had to also update some apps, including my RSS reader. However, now the feed for Dimeadozen no longer works. It doesn't update and resubscribing shows the feed as not existing. Could others try it to see what happens? Here's the url: http://bt.dimeadozen.org/rss

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 8:33am
New question! Because of the big ol' os upgrade, I had to also update some apps, including my RSS reader. However, now the feed for Dimeadozen no longer works. It doesn't update and resubscribing shows the feed as not existing. Could others try it to see what happens? Here's the url: http://bt.dimeadozen.org/rss
This may not help because I'm on a Windows PC, but I was able to log on via your like and my DIME info, but the page was blank and my computer downloaded a RDF file, nothing more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 8:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This may not help because I'm on a Windows PC, but I was able to log on via your like and my DIME info, but the page was blank and my computer downloaded a RDF file, nothing more.
Yeah, when I used the link in a regular browser, it created an RDF file. Do you have an RSS browser to try it with?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 9:15am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, when I used the link in a regular browser, it created an RDF file. Do you have an RSS browser to try it with?
Apparently not, I had to Google it, appears my default browser, Chrome, doesn't support it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 11:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 9:15am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Apparently not, I had to Google it, appears my default browser, Chrome, doesn't support it.
I've played around with things and compared with the working version on my old laptop, and I *think* it's a question of the updated RSS browser not properly accessing the username/password. I've redone the permissions and will wait to see if anything pops up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Can't get the RSS feed to work no way, no how, so I guess I just have to check the site daily. :meh:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

More me venting than anything else. My sister reaches out because she needs to download and send some bank statements to a lawyer. I say ok but you cant just email the statements they likely have information you dont want to be potentially exposed like that thry need to be encrypted. And they need to be in a somewhat universal format so thd person on the other end can open them. Well she has no computer just an iPhone. So now I gotta walk her tbru all this stuff while she attempts to encrypt the files on what is a glorified toy. Me and my big mouth.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 8:48pm
More me venting than anything else. My sister reaches out because she needs to download and send some bank statements to a lawyer. I say ok but you cant just email the statements they likely have information you dont want to be potentially exposed like that thry need to be encrypted. And they need to be in a somewhat universal format so thd person on the other end can open them. Well she has no computer just an iPhone. So now I gotta walk her tbru all this stuff while she attempts to encrypt the files on what is a glorified toy. Me and my big mouth.
Just have her fax them over
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!