I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46180
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 1:49pm
threecoffins wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 3:39pm
threecoffins wrote:
26 May 2017, 2:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2017, 12:08pm
Back in February, my external hd that held all my ripped music, movies, and tv shows went splat. Disheartening, but I still had disc copies of almost everything else, so I got a new drive and started the long process of ripping everything again. I finally finished a couple days ago. Now I'm going thru a process of backing up everything onto 50GB blu-ray discs, so that when this drive eventually fails, it'll be easier to restore. I figure it'll be about 70 of those discs and a good three weeks of burning those. Fun and tears with technology, kids.
Fuck. You'd think archiving would be easier in this day and age. Few people realize how all their optical media is basically on a slow self destruct.
The other thing to do is regularly test the hd's health and be ready to copy to a new one as it nears failure. But I don't trust myself to be that responsible.
I never have the cash for backup HDs or I would clone my media drive. One day... :disshame:
This is the way to do it. I have all my music on two 2TB hard drives (one at home, one in the trunk of my car) and an account with Backblaze, which uploads everything to a remote server. If you don't have your data in at least 3 different places, you're tempting fate.
I have mine under the bed, in the loft and in the cupboard. Well you can't be too certain these days.
Image

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5190
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by muppet hi fi »

So how do you lot find your avatar pics? 125x125 is pretty small. Do you re-size/crop them or is there an easier way to find them without looking at hundreds of Google images to find one small enough? No idea how I did it in the past, think I just lucked out and found ones small enough...
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6714
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I usually resize mine.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33412
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston »

Okay, so I played a YouTube video tonight in fullscreen but the taskbar is still showing at the bottom. This has never happened before. I can go to taskbar settings and "automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode" but I only want it hidden when watching YouTube videos. I haven't touched anything on my laptop so don't understand why this has happened!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23377
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by eumaas »

Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 1:53pm
Okay, so I played a YouTube video tonight in fullscreen but the taskbar is still showing at the bottom. This has never happened before. I can go to taskbar settings and "automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode" but I only want it hidden when watching YouTube videos. I haven't touched anything on my laptop so don't understand why this has happened!
Have you tried turning it off and on again
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88830
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

eumaas wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 2:22pm
Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 1:53pm
Okay, so I played a YouTube video tonight in fullscreen but the taskbar is still showing at the bottom. This has never happened before. I can go to taskbar settings and "automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode" but I only want it hidden when watching YouTube videos. I haven't touched anything on my laptop so don't understand why this has happened!
Have you tried turning it off and on again
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33412
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston »

eumaas wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 2:22pm
Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 1:53pm
Okay, so I played a YouTube video tonight in fullscreen but the taskbar is still showing at the bottom. This has never happened before. I can go to taskbar settings and "automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode" but I only want it hidden when watching YouTube videos. I haven't touched anything on my laptop so don't understand why this has happened!
Have you tried turning it off and on again
No, that is usually my first instinct as well.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33412
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Heston »

Yet again dd_ has came to my rescue and the problem is now sorted. :approve:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88830
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mostly rant, minor brag …

So, the Boss has a professional account that, because of the insanity of big institutions, has to be spent each year otherwise you risk losing it. So she got a new laptop. And fucking Apple (and probably other manufacturers) have completely altered what ports are available. Which meant also buying a bunch of cables with adapters so she can still read usb drives and connect to her external monitor. Massive pain in the ass figuring out what is needed, especially because the number of ports has shrunk, too. And plenty of software issues—new OS means old apps that don't work and updating that doesn't quite work. She also has a portable hd that she uses to back-up her laptop, but the built in cable is no longer feasible for reasons I won't get into. But I was looking at the thing and found a strange port I'd never seen before, but surmised it might be a type that we'd be able to find another cable that would make the drive salvageable. I spent a goddamned hour online looking for the model specs—it's been revised several times with new ports, but the company kept the same model number—but finally found out what the fucking port is called—USB 3.0 Micro B—so now I know we can get a cable that will still do the job. Moral of the story, getting a new computer is huge goddamned pain in the ass with all too many extra costs that make the whole thing barely worth it. Honestly, I dread the day that my iMac dies and I have to get a new one. Which, hey, good job computer industry—make people not want to upgrade their machines. It'd be like the music industry put new cd players or turntables every few years that meant your speakers and amp no longer worked. :angry:
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12212
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:25pm
Mostly rant, minor brag …

So, the Boss has a professional account that, because of the insanity of big institutions, has to be spent each year otherwise you risk losing it. So she got a new laptop. And fucking Apple (and probably other manufacturers) have completely altered what ports are available. Which meant also buying a bunch of cables with adapters so she can still read usb drives and connect to her external monitor. Massive pain in the ass figuring out what is needed, especially because the number of ports has shrunk, too. And plenty of software issues—new OS means old apps that don't work and updating that doesn't quite work. She also has a portable hd that she uses to back-up her laptop, but the built in cable is no longer feasible for reasons I won't get into. But I was looking at the thing and found a strange port I'd never seen before, but surmised it might be a type that we'd be able to find another cable that would make the drive salvageable. I spent a goddamned hour online looking for the model specs—it's been revised several times with new ports, but the company kept the same model number—but finally found out what the fucking port is called—USB 3.0 Micro B—so now I know we can get a cable that will still do the job. Moral of the story, getting a new computer is huge goddamned pain in the ass with all too many extra costs that make the whole thing barely worth it. Honestly, I dread the day that my iMac dies and I have to get a new one. Which, hey, good job computer industry—make people not want to upgrade their machines. It'd be like the music industry put new cd players or turntables every few years that meant your speakers and amp no longer worked. :angry:
Adapters make the proposition tenable, but I agree it's hell on earth.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12654
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:25pm
Mostly rant, minor brag …

So, the Boss has a professional account that, because of the insanity of big institutions, has to be spent each year otherwise you risk losing it. So she got a new laptop. And fucking Apple (and probably other manufacturers) have completely altered what ports are available. Which meant also buying a bunch of cables with adapters so she can still read usb drives and connect to her external monitor. Massive pain in the ass figuring out what is needed, especially because the number of ports has shrunk, too. And plenty of software issues—new OS means old apps that don't work and updating that doesn't quite work. She also has a portable hd that she uses to back-up her laptop, but the built in cable is no longer feasible for reasons I won't get into. But I was looking at the thing and found a strange port I'd never seen before, but surmised it might be a type that we'd be able to find another cable that would make the drive salvageable. I spent a goddamned hour online looking for the model specs—it's been revised several times with new ports, but the company kept the same model number—but finally found out what the fucking port is called—USB 3.0 Micro B—so now I know we can get a cable that will still do the job. Moral of the story, getting a new computer is huge goddamned pain in the ass with all too many extra costs that make the whole thing barely worth it. Honestly, I dread the day that my iMac dies and I have to get a new one. Which, hey, good job computer industry—make people not want to upgrade their machines. It'd be like the music industry put new cd players or turntables every few years that meant your speakers and amp no longer worked. :angry:
Apple is notorious for this sort of thing. If there's still some money left in the budget Startech makes a good universal docking station which should allow you to still use your old peripherals/cables.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88830
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 10:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 12:25pm
Mostly rant, minor brag …

So, the Boss has a professional account that, because of the insanity of big institutions, has to be spent each year otherwise you risk losing it. So she got a new laptop. And fucking Apple (and probably other manufacturers) have completely altered what ports are available. Which meant also buying a bunch of cables with adapters so she can still read usb drives and connect to her external monitor. Massive pain in the ass figuring out what is needed, especially because the number of ports has shrunk, too. And plenty of software issues—new OS means old apps that don't work and updating that doesn't quite work. She also has a portable hd that she uses to back-up her laptop, but the built in cable is no longer feasible for reasons I won't get into. But I was looking at the thing and found a strange port I'd never seen before, but surmised it might be a type that we'd be able to find another cable that would make the drive salvageable. I spent a goddamned hour online looking for the model specs—it's been revised several times with new ports, but the company kept the same model number—but finally found out what the fucking port is called—USB 3.0 Micro B—so now I know we can get a cable that will still do the job. Moral of the story, getting a new computer is huge goddamned pain in the ass with all too many extra costs that make the whole thing barely worth it. Honestly, I dread the day that my iMac dies and I have to get a new one. Which, hey, good job computer industry—make people not want to upgrade their machines. It'd be like the music industry put new cd players or turntables every few years that meant your speakers and amp no longer worked. :angry:
Apple is notorious for this sort of thing. If there's still some money left in the budget Startech makes a good universal docking station which should allow you to still use your old peripherals/cables.
While looking at various possibilities, I checked out Startech, but it didn't have the combination she needs. I think things are straightened out now, tho, once we get that micro-b cable. But, yeah, it does sour me further on Apple. I remember way back in the olden days when Mac users could say, sure, it costs more, but it's easier to use. Well, half of that is still true.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88830
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Here's a mystery for any Mac-savvy people. My situation is a bit hard to describe, which might be why Googling has generated zilcho possibilities. But here goes: So, new Mac and now iTunes thinks I have much fewer books available to sync … sometimes. If I try to sync wirelessly, it thinks I have about 600 books. But if I plug the iPad into the Mac, it recognizes the proper number, around 3500. It's not a cloud issue, as I don't have books stored that way. The upshot is that if I sync wirelessly, it wipes out a few thousand books, and restoring them afterwards by resyncing with a cable takes quite a lot of time. The easiest solution is to never sync wirelessly, but wirelessly is a lot handier. Anyone have any ideas why iTunes is keeping two sets of books, so to speak, depending on whether I plug my iPad in with a cable or sync wirelessly?
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29108
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:09pm
Here's a mystery for any Mac-savvy people. My situation is a bit hard to describe, which might be why Googling has generated zilcho possibilities. But here goes: So, new Mac and now iTunes thinks I have much fewer books available to sync … sometimes. If I try to sync wirelessly, it thinks I have about 600 books. But if I plug the iPad into the Mac, it recognizes the proper number, around 3500. It's not a cloud issue, as I don't have books stored that way. The upshot is that if I sync wirelessly, it wipes out a few thousand books, and restoring them afterwards by resyncing with a cable takes quite a lot of time. The easiest solution is to never sync wirelessly, but wirelessly is a lot handier. Anyone have any ideas why iTunes is keeping two sets of books, so to speak, depending on whether I plug my iPad in with a cable or sync wirelessly?
Not praying to Mecca enought times per day?
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88830
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 4:09pm
Here's a mystery for any Mac-savvy people. My situation is a bit hard to describe, which might be why Googling has generated zilcho possibilities. But here goes: So, new Mac and now iTunes thinks I have much fewer books available to sync … sometimes. If I try to sync wirelessly, it thinks I have about 600 books. But if I plug the iPad into the Mac, it recognizes the proper number, around 3500. It's not a cloud issue, as I don't have books stored that way. The upshot is that if I sync wirelessly, it wipes out a few thousand books, and restoring them afterwards by resyncing with a cable takes quite a lot of time. The easiest solution is to never sync wirelessly, but wirelessly is a lot handier. Anyone have any ideas why iTunes is keeping two sets of books, so to speak, depending on whether I plug my iPad in with a cable or sync wirelessly?
Not praying to Mecca enought times per day?
Eight times isn't enough? What more do they want from me?

Actually, I just came to post that I accidentally solved the problem. I went into the Books app and found an option to movie the iTunes library to Books. Had no idea what that meant, and my problem seemed to be that the Books library wasn't going to iTunes, but now iTunes recognizes all the books when I sync wirelessly. I remember the olden days when Apple was the platform for people who just wanted something easy to use …
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply